New member... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New member...

Gastone
11-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Hello all!
I´m noob in this game, and I´m not very good with english, so have patient with me.
I´m 54 years, from sweden, and I have resently got tricked into a major project.
I´m (lots of I´m) DIY an 120W tube amp as my first tube amp ever, so my presens here is to be more or less permant.

Happy Camper
11-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Welcome Gastone.

Nice project to get tricked into.

JohnMichael
11-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Welcome to AudioReview! Gastone your English is fine. There is a fair amount of tube knowledge on this site. Hope we can be of help.

Gastone
11-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanx all. I have a Q ...
In Sweden most PSU circuit is CRC, but over seas it is CLC ...
What is the benefit with chokes, vs Resistors. I´m using full wave recetifer, no tube.
Maby this is´n the right forum to post this queston in

TechnicsNewA
11-29-2009, 01:39 PM
hello Gastone :)
Welcome to AudioReviewForums. I am Sam or Sammy from Australia.
I used Swedish Supra Ply3.4S cables on my speakers, really great cables for the money :D

JoeE SP9
11-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanx all. I have a Q ...
In Sweden most PSU circuit is CRC, but over seas it is CLC ...
What is the benefit with chokes, vs Resistors. I´m using full wave recetifer, no tube.
Maby this is´n the right forum to post this queston in

Welcome to AR.
Not sure what you're asking. However, when using full wave rectifiers with tube circuits you should always have a soft start on them to slow inrush current to the tubes. Tubes need a slow (relatively) start up. Diode bridges come on instantly and will shorten tube life.

Gastone
11-29-2009, 04:08 PM
hello Gastone :)
Welcome to AudioReviewForums. I am Sam or Sammy from Australia.
I used Swedish Supra Ply3.4S cables on my speakers, really great cables for the money :D

Hi mate, well some belive so, my naibor is one of them, for my self I use a standard kable for outdoors electric lamps 1.5 mm2 x 2.
I do have some interconect with supra cables

Gastone
11-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Welcome to AR.
Not sure what you're asking. However, when using full wave rectifiers with tube circuits you should always have a soft start on them to slow inrush current to the tubes. Tubes need a slow (relatively) start up. Diode bridges come on instantly and will shorten tube life.
Ahh, translation error... I do have en soft start in the primary side of the x-former (toroid).
And I have an 30 sec delay after heaters starts, but thats not the question.

What I ment was: in the filter section after recetifers is an cap then an choke then another cap, but most of the DIY:er here in Sweden use a "Cap - Resistor - Cap".

Is there an advantage to use an choke, or is it just "how things are" ?

My mentor (the person who tricked me into this) says "no, U don´t need a choke"...

Gastone
12-01-2009, 04:51 AM
No one who kan straitens this out for me ?

Luvin Da Blues
12-01-2009, 05:50 AM
anscheinend nicht

Gastone
12-01-2009, 08:08 AM
To bad!!!
I really need to know...:confused5:

Gastone
12-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Hmm, tubes are not in favor here... well..

Gastone
12-04-2009, 03:46 AM
OK I got answers on the matter, sorry to admit, in another forums...

rob_a
12-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Hmm, tubes are not in favor here... well..

Sorry about the poor responce, their are a few tube heads here, just not that many. I myself am just getting into tube, so I am the one asking and reading, not answering. what was your results on your question???

Gastone
12-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Sorry about the poor responce, their are a few tube heads here, just not that many. I myself am just getting into tube, so I am the one asking and reading, not answering. what was your results on your question???
CLC jämfört med CRC:
+ Du förlorar inte lika mycket spänning
+ Lägre rippel
- Drosseln måste passa tomgångsströmmen, så det kan bli mindre marginal för experimentering
- Dyrt (CRC KAN iofs bli dyrare om man tvingas köpa en mycket dyrare nättrafo för att kompensera spänningsförlusten över motståndet, samt ev. extra RC-länk i nätdelen för att få ner ripplet till CLC-nivå).

Translation:
+ You don´t lose so manny volts.
+ Low ripple.
- The Choke must stand upp for the idle current, so less marginal for experimet.
- EXPENSIVE (CRC could be expensive too, if you are forced to by a more expensive x-former for compensation for looses i resistor, plus extra RC-link in PSUn to hold the ripple on CLC level).