Ronnie James Dio diagnosed w/stomach cancer. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio diagnosed w/stomach cancer.

Swish
11-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Wendy Dio, the wife and manager of legendary heavy metal [http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=131004#] vocalist Ronnie James Dio (HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Ronnie has been diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer. We are starting treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic. After he kills this dragon, Ronnie will be back on stage, where he belongs, doing what he loves best, performing for his fans.

"Long live rock and roll [http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=131004#] , long live Ronnie James Dio.

"Thanks to all the friends and fans, from all over the world that have sent well wishes. This has really helped to keep his spirit up."

Ronnie James Dio, 67, has performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH [http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=131004#] , and his own band DIO. Other musical projects include the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He is currently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project whcih also includes former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

DIO cancelled its European tour last week after Ronnie was taken ill. The band's lineup for the European tour was supposed to include WHITESNAKE/ex-DIO axeman Doug Aldrich due to the fact that the group's regular guitarist, Craig Goldy, had prior touring commitments with BUDGIE in Australia.

DIO's last release was the "Holy Diver Live" CD, featuring a performance of the classic "Holy Diver" album in its entirety, from start to finish, recorded live for the very first time in 2005 in front of a sold-out London crowd.

Fu<a>cking cancer. I still have fond memories of Elf from way back in the day. I was never a big fan of Sabbath, but I still feel bad for the guy. I hope he can kick this to the curb.

bobsticks
11-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Somewhere Vivian Campbell is giggling...

...but I agree with Swishy, I hope he beats this thing...

frenchmon
11-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Loved Rainbow. Hope he recovers.

frenchmon

Slosh
11-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Now where did I put that cape and scepter?

ForeverAutumn
11-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Dio is 67?! Holy cow. I didn't know that.

I wish him well. It sounds like he has quite a fight on his hands.

Mr Peabody
11-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize he was that age either. I'm a big fan. I have something from him with almost every project. I'm missing some Elf. A lot of stuff I bought back in high school like Blackmore's Rainbow,, Cary Livgren's solo album, Sabbath's Heaven & Hell all on LP. Hope the best for him.

poppachubby
11-29-2009, 05:23 AM
I didn't know Budgie were touring! I wonder if they'll come to Canada. Seems everyone gets cancer nowadays, I find it really discouraging.

bobsticks
11-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Yeah...and he's shrinking!! The guitarist in the clip is former Hurricane axman Doug Aldrich who is about 6'2....my advanced computer graphic mapping system indicates that would make Dio about 4 foot 7 inches...

<object width="500" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/be0w9L5Z-fM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/be0w9L5Z-fM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="315"></embed></object>

Mr Peabody
11-29-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't remember Dio's exact height but I've read that he was short and how he'd always wear platform shoes.

I haven't heard Budgie's name in years. I wonder if they've done something new or if it's one of those classic tour things. I'd imagine they'd be in small venues in the States. I doubt if many know who they are.

bobsticks
11-29-2009, 05:45 PM
I haven't heard Budgie's name in years. I wonder if they've done something new or if it's one of those classic tour things. I'd imagine they'd be in small venues in the States. I doubt if many know who they are.

Didn't Vince Neil kill their lead singer?....Michael Monroe I believe wass his name...

Mr Peabody
11-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Are you talking about Nicholas Dingley who died in Neil's crash in 1984? He was the drummer for Hannoy Rocks.

Swish
11-30-2009, 01:10 PM

That's 40 years ago, so it's not hard to believe he's that old. I say them open for someone but I can't remember the opening act. Really! Mandrill was also on the bill at the old Hershey Arena. That was early 70s and I saw a lot of bands during that time and after.

3LB
11-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I loved Dio growing up. Damn, that guy could wail back then. Still can sorta.

I hope he beats it.

ForeverAutumn
11-30-2009, 06:26 PM
That's 40 years ago, so it's not hard to believe he's that old. I say them open for someone but I can't remember the opening act. Really! Mandrill was also on the bill at the old Hershey Arena. That was early 70s and I saw a lot of bands during that time and after.

Logically, I understand that he's been around a long time. But it's just strange to see his age in print and realize that he's only 6 years younger than my mother!

bobsticks
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I loved Dio growing up. Damn, that guy could wail back then. Still can sorta.

I hope he beats it.

Yeah, as a kid two of my first concert experiences were The Last in Line and Sacred Heart tours...."wail" is an excellent description....and he always surrounded himself with competent musicians.

Slosh
12-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Logically, I understand that he's been around a long time. But it's just strange to see his age in print and realize that he's only 6 years younger than my mother!He's five years older than mine.

Mr Peabody
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Actually, he's the same age as mine. Crazy, my mom can't stand hard Rock and yelled all my life to "turn that shtuff down"! She must have ran with the wrong crowd :)

Audioman00
12-02-2009, 10:45 AM
that sux, I dig dio and bs