Dual 1019 Tonearm Alignment (me = noob) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dual 1019 Tonearm Alignment (me = noob)

servo
11-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi, I'm brand new to turntables so please feel free to mock and ridicule my lack of knowledge and my rudimentary hold on even basic TT terminology.

Anyhoo, I just purchased a Dual 1019 in great condition other then the fact the automatic tonearm goes straight to the middle of the record instead of at the beginning. I have the lower left thing set on 33 and the lower right gadget set to 30. I've tried adjusting each doo-whacky but that doesn't seem to work. When I set the lower right guy to 17 it comes a little closer to the beginning of the record, but not nearly close enough.

Is this something I can fix? Please help me.

Scott

luvtolisten
11-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Scott, now sure if I can help but I'll try, I used to own a BIC 960. The adjustment for mine, I had a small screw which you could see with a flashlight thru a small hole in the plate covering the turntable base, just behind where the tone arm is attached to the base. Turning the screw clockwise brought the arm closer to the edge, ccw more towards the middle.

JohnMichael
11-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Scott, now sure if I can help but I'll try, I used to own a BIC 960. The adjustment for mine, I had a small screw which you could see with a flashlight thru a small hole in the plate covering the turntable base, just behind where the tone arm is attached to the base. Turning the screw clockwise brought the arm closer to the edge, ccw more towards the middle.

Yes I also remember that is an adjustible feature. Good answer luvtolisten.

servo
11-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey, thanks for the speedy responses. I tried adjusting screws that I believe are on the plate covering but I'm not sure. It didn't seem to help. I've taken some pictures of the machine and the screws I messed around with.

luvtolisten
11-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Okay here is the screw you need to adjust, just above where it says Dual, right near the corner of the top plate.

I was unable to upload the manual for your turntable, but you can get it here, you just have to register (it's free). It'll show you a picture of all adjustments on page 4.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1019.shtml

servo
11-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Okay here is the screw you need to adjust, just above where it says Dual, right near the corner of the top plate.

I was unable to upload the manual for your turntable, but you can get it here, you just have to register (it's free). It'll show you a picture of all adjustments on page 4.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/1019.shtml

I've tried adjusting that screw and nothing changes - the tonearm still goes straight to the center of the record.

:confused:

JohnMichael
11-28-2009, 07:40 AM
It has been awhile since I have used a Dual of that vintage. Could you photograph the two knobs on the left. One is to set speed. Also how about an overhead picture of the tonearm pivot and base. Thanks

luvtolisten
11-28-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm a bit confused. Does it jump to the middle when playing, or just when you start on the automatic mode. I'm not sure whether you have an indexing or antiskating issue.
It would be a great benefit to you to download the manual in my previous post. On page 4, it gives you a blow up of the table, showing you where all the adjustments are, not just for this problem, but for reference for future problems.

servo
11-28-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm a bit confused. Does it jump to the middle when playing, or just when you start on the automatic mode. I'm not sure whether you have an indexing or antiskating issue.
It would be a great benefit to you to download the manual in my previous post. On page 4, it gives you a blow up of the table, showing you where all the adjustments are, not just for this problem, but for reference for future problems.

The needle sets down at the very middle (the labeled portion) of the record when set on "30" and "25" on the automatic mode. When set to "17" it sets down about 2/3 across the record.

I've downloaded the manual, and have toyed with the adjustments but to no avail.

servo
11-28-2009, 10:03 AM
It has been awhile since I have used a Dual of that vintage. Could you photograph the two knobs on the left. One is to set speed. Also how about an overhead picture of the tonearm pivot and base. Thanks

Hope these help.

luvtolisten
11-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Have tried setting the record size selector to "7" ? This supposedly exposes the adjustment screw through the opening in the chassis near the tone arm post. (As stated on pg 9 of the manual "Adjustment for lead in groove"). You may need to check your anti-skating setting first, since the indexing is so far off. It may a combination of adjusting both.

servo
11-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Have tried setting the record size selector to "7" ? This supposedly exposes the adjustment screw through the opening in the chassis near the tone arm post. (As stated on pg 9 of the manual "Adjustment for lead in groove"). You may need to check your anti-skating setting first, since the indexing is so far off. It may a combination of adjusting both.

Mine doesn't have a size 7. It does have 17, though, and that setting does expose the adjustment screw.

servo
11-28-2009, 10:49 AM
One thing I'm noticing now is that after playing with the adjustment knob, I can use the cue-control to the lift the tone arm, and while set on "30" I can physically slide the tonearm over and it stops (there is resistance) right at the beginning of the album where it should. So that when I now use the cue-control to lower the tone arm it lands in the right spot. If I were to try this all on automatic with the 30 setting, however, the tonearm would go straight to the labeled center of the album.

luvtolisten
11-30-2009, 06:18 AM
It sound like you've done all you can as far as adjustments go. It may be time to take in into a shop, or if you feel comfortable, take a look under the hood. You may find a a spring loose, or the remnants of a broken part. Or it could be a matter of cleaning and changing the grease, which over time becomes tacky and could be making something stick instead of sliding. I've done it before, on electronic equipment with moving parts,using some alcohol (91%) and Q-tips. I believe you'll see a white grease, as I say over time, tends to make things stick rather slide freely.