What equipment do I need to connect all my audio devices? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What equipment do I need to connect all my audio devices?

wvcaudill2
11-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Hello, I currently have the Logitech x-540 speaker system that I would like to connect to all my audio devices. I am currently switching between my laptop, TV, radio, iPod, CD player, etc, and it is getting to be a big hastle. So my question is, what equipment can I use to easily switch between all the audio inputs?

Please know that my speaker system is 5.1 surround sound, and uses some type of 1/8 inch cord with 3 ends. I really dont know what its called, so you will have to look it up. Sorry, I just dont know that much about audio.

Thanks for your help!

Mr Peabody
11-27-2009, 10:15 AM
What you really need is a audio/video receiver or sometimes referred to as a home theater receiver. The bad news your speakers would not work with a receiver. All of your sources DVD/CD/computer etc. can be hooked into the receiver, you'd come out of the receiver's video output and go to your TV. You can get a fully featured Pioneer for around $299.00 and it goes up from there. Be careful because some receivers in that price or cheaper lack in features you will probably need. I recommend especially staying away from Sony. Their HDMI inputs are not fully useful until getting close to top of the line. Yamaha's entry level is like that as well. For $100.00 to $150.00 more than the Pioneer you could get the Onkyo TX-SR607 which is a good performer and has all the features you will probably need.

Speakers depends on your room size, budget and taste. The Energy Take 5 package has been popular in a budget set up.

For a look at receiver's features, prices and get some basic "how to" info, take a look at www.crutchfield.com Some brands you may be able to find locally and give a listen. Crutchfield don't always have the dcheapest online pricing but their customer service is good. They don't carry the Pioneer though.

wvcaudill2
11-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Ok, thanks!