Krell News & Rumours [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Krell News & Rumours

Ajani
11-26-2009, 01:49 PM
So first the good news:

Krell clearly didn't get the memo from Linn, and has launched a matching CD player for the S300i

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86650

The S-350a CD Player is listed for $2,500 on MusicDirect... It uses a slot loading CD Mechanism (which is all the rage nowadays, see Cyrus and Rotel)...

Looks like it maybe time for JM to upgrade from the Marantz...

Now for the Bad Rumours:

A few other forums (including Stereophile) have been ripe with rumours that Dan D-Agostino was booted from Krell by the new shareholders:

http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=78573&an=0&page=0#Post78573

poppachubby
11-26-2009, 02:05 PM
What's so bad about that? I'm asking honestly. I have no idea why it would be bad or good. Was he in charge during the recall for combusting units?

Ajani
11-26-2009, 02:10 PM
What's so bad about that? I'm asking honestly. I have no idea why it would be bad or good. Was he in charge during the recall for combusting units?

He's the founder and has always been in charge... so a new head could mean anything... maybe a whole new direction for the company (which has usually proved to be a bad thing)...

Also, I think you are probably making far more of this "combusting amp" thing than there really is... NAD had the same problem last year... it's not unheard of for very powerful amps to overheat (especially when customers do stupid things, like blocking the ventilation)... The Krell Models that have been recalled to have their fuses replaced, were produced between 1997 and 2001... If the combustion issue was that major a deal then there would have been a hell of a lot of exploding amps 10 years ago (and Krell would have been out of business)... Many manufacturers wouldn't even address potential problems with long discontinued products, much less to actually do a recall and replace fuses...

poppachubby
11-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Also, I think you are probably making far more of this "combusting amp" thing than there really is... NAD had the same problem last year... it's not unheard of for very powerful amps to overheat (especially when customers do stupid things, like blocking the ventilation)... The Krell Models that have been recalled to have their fuses replaced, were produced between 1997 and 2001... If the combustion issue was that major a deal then there would have been a hell of a lot of exploding amps 10 years ago (and Krell would have been out of business)... Many manufacturers wouldn't even address potential problems with long discontinued products, much less to actually do a recall and replace fuses...

lol, oh man, you've just made it even funnier to me...where's John Micheal??

JohnMichael
11-26-2009, 03:18 PM
So first the good news:

Krell clearly didn't get the memo from Linn, and has launched a matching CD player for the S300i

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86650

The S-350a CD Player is listed for $2,500 on MusicDirect... It uses a slot loading CD Mechanism (which is all the rage nowadays, see Cyrus and Rotel)...

Looks like it maybe time for JM to upgrade from the Marantz...

Yes I saw the new Krell cd player in the Music Direct catalog and it is beautiful. I am still very happy with the Marantz and have no reason to change. Now if Krell wanted to send me one well I would gladly accept. It would look nice on the shelf above the S-300i

poppachubby
11-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Yes I saw the new Krell cd player in the Music Direct catalog and it is beautiful. I am still very happy with the Marantz and have no reason to change. Now if Krell wanted to send me one well I would gladly accept. It would look nice on the shelf above the S-300i

Clearly this is the reply of a man shaken to his very core. Shaken by the ticking time bomb that is known to the world as....Krell!!!

Ajani
11-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Clearly this is the reply of a man shaken to his very core. Shaken by the ticking time bomb that is known to the world as....Krell!!!

Man, you need to either take more or a lot less meds...

I'm sure JM has at least 10 years before the Krell explodes and takes out his entire apartment complex...

poppachubby
11-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Man, you need to either take more or a lot less meds...

I'm sure JM has at least 10 years before the Krell explodes and takes out his entire apartment complex...

Well, I suppose I'll ruin the humour by informing you....IT"S A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man alive, does everything have to be cut and dry information on here? Meds? C'mon........

Ajani
11-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Well, I suppose I'll ruin the humour by informing you....IT"S A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man alive, does everything have to be cut and dry information on here? Meds? C'mon........

I was joking too... I got that it was a joke from your earlier response... :p

audio amateur
11-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Glad that's cleared.
Poppa, the DAC 09 is 300 USD now.

poppachubby
11-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Glad that's cleared.
Poppa, the DAC 09 is 300 USD now.

It has been for a while AA, and $275 for the same Xiansheng from Pacific Valve. Hey check this out, it looks very unimpressive but the TDA 1543 chip is apparently awesome. Supposed to have a warm analog sound. I just may pull the trigger. My buddy has a nicer Valab version...http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330380816990&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mr Peabody
11-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I believe D'Agostino was pretty much Krell. It's a shame to be in a position to lose something you started like that.

The fact that you can buy Krell from MD is a significant change already in Krell's personality. I'll have to start paying more attention to them and put some feelers out. Thanks for bringing the info to AR.

JM, if you're happy no reason to change but keep an open mind until you hear the two pieces of Krell connected via quality XLR's. Then you will hear Krell's true and intended presentation. Unless the s300i is unique from Krell of past, and it could be, nothing has synergy with Krell, like Krell. I believe though you also use SACD, correct? If so, a stand alone CDP wouldn't make much sense any way.

Mr Peabody
11-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Not a rumor, it's true, D'Agostino is out. It's generally viewed as a good thing and we should be looking for about 16 new products from Krell. That's all I got.

Ajani
11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Not a rumor, it's true, D'Agostino is out. It's generally viewed as a good thing and we should be looking for about 16 new products from Krell. That's all I got.

Thanks Mr. P!!!!

I really hope it is a good thing.

Someone on the Stereophile forum had claimed that D'Agostino had become bad for morale and was holding back the company, when he was ousted... so I really hope that his leaving will be the catalyst of an explosion of new (GOOD) products... even better if they produce more "entry level Krell" products...

frenchmon
11-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Remember when Ford took over Jaguar? What a pitty.

frenchmon

Mr Peabody
11-27-2009, 05:51 PM
I found out that Walt Snyder is Krell's CFO and guess who I got emails from when I was getting that recall issue taken care of. I thought it was some guy from service or something, who'd think the CFO would be emailing customers over things like that.

Luvin Da Blues
11-27-2009, 05:56 PM
I found out that Walt Snyder is Krell's CFO and guess who I got emails from when I was getting that recall issue taken care of. I thought it was some guy from service or something, who'd think the CFO would be emailing customers over things like that.

That service level is reserved for only the most important customers. :1:

Mr Peabody
11-27-2009, 07:12 PM
I doubt if that would be me.

frenchmon
11-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Well I suppose the guy that got ousted will start up some new stuff, like so many others who leave a very good company.

frenchmon

Ajani
11-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Well I suppose the guy that got ousted will start up some new stuff, like so many others who leave a very good company.

frenchmon

Something like this perhaps:

http://www.avguide.com/article/news-mr-mark-levinson-debuts-high-performance-daniel-hertz-products

Maybe those two could go into partnership...

frenchmon
11-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Something like this perhaps:

http://www.avguide.com/article/news-mr-mark-levinson-debuts-high-performance-daniel-hertz-products

Maybe those two could go into partnership...

As much as I would love to see him bounce back in very good fashion, I wish he would bounce back with gear that I could afford....something that wouldn't cost as much as a car.

frenchmon

Ajani
11-28-2009, 07:47 AM
As much as I would love to see him bounce back in very good fashion, I wish he would bounce back with gear that I could afford....something that wouldn't cost as much as a car.

frenchmon

That's why you are stuck with mid-fi crap... if you would just show a little financial discipline... cut back on a few trips to burger king and I'm sure you could own a pair of $75,000 Daniel Hertz Speakers in no time...

frenchmon
11-28-2009, 02:35 PM
That's why you are stuck with mid-fi crap... if you would just show a little financial discipline... cut back on a few trips to burger king and I'm sure you could own a pair of $75,000 Daniel Hertz Speakers in no time...

lol...and whats your excuse....Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee? You need to get Folgers.

frenchmon