How humans hear [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How humans hear

3db
11-26-2009, 08:52 AM
This article reaffirms whatI've been stating that we hear more than with just our ears. This is a big step in showing the validity of nonsighted audio tests and hopefully will send out a correction in the "balck magic voodoo BS that has plagued audio industry over the years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/science/01obpuff.html?_r=1&ref=science

JohnMichael
11-26-2009, 08:57 AM
The article is about speech and the visual cues from the person speaking. How does this relate to reproduced music in our homes. I think you are really stretching with this one.

3db
11-26-2009, 09:14 AM
The article is about speech and the visual cues from the person speaking. How does this relate to reproduced music in our homes. I think you are really stretching with this one.

Visual cues.... not a stretch ..its about listening period..and that hearing is influenced by other senses.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Visual cues.... not a stretch ..its about listening period..and that hearing is influenced by other senses.

I am afraid not 3db. This is about verbal cues involving sensory. It has nothing to do with what you are attempting to stretch this into.

While I strongly believe in DB testing, this does not validate it.

3db
11-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I am afraid not 3db. This is about verbal cues involving sensory. It has nothing to do with what you are attempting to stretch this into.

While I strongly believe in DB testing, this does not validate it.

It demonstrates that there is more than just hearing alone that influences what is heard...

11-26-2009, 11:36 AM
It demonstrates that there is more than just hearing alone that influences what is heard...

That is applied to speech, not to non speech situations. How do you apply this in the absence of lyrics, and where the focus is purely on instruments? Instruments do not use verbal speech, but it does speak to us in a unique way. This link is based on how we use visual cues along with our ears to interpret what we hear while speaking. It makes no reference whatsoever to music, which uses the right half of your brain, not the left half this uses.

poppachubby
11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
My speakers give me no visual cues whatsoever, unless I've been smoking but that's another thread.

Feanor
11-26-2009, 01:01 PM
From time to time I've said that imagination and mood are big factors in the perceived differences between hifi components. This position has not endeared me to very many audiophiles.

Luvin Da Blues
11-26-2009, 01:09 PM
From time to time I've said that imagination and mood are big factors in the perceived differences between hifi components. This position has not endeared me to very many audiophiles.

I whole heartly agree with the mood point. Some days when I'm in the right (wrong?) mood everything sounds like crap, relatively speaking. :thumbsup:

JoeE SP9
11-26-2009, 02:59 PM

I'm in your camp.

11-26-2009, 04:11 PM

You manage your listening experience entirely on the right side of your brain. No conflict there. Audiophiles attempt to explain right side brain activity with left side activity of logic and analysis. You can easily see the contradicting perspectives, and why neither can agree on audio issues.