Matisyahu Live 11/25/09 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Matisyahu Live 11/25/09

Worf101
11-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Been hearing of htis guy for years and I finally had a chance to catch his act "live" last night. For those who don't know Matisyahu is an Orthodox Jew (yeah he wears the WHOLE get-up from Yamulke to bottom) who created a buzz in his native White Plains, and adopted Crown Heights, Brooklyn, NY by merging traditional Reggae Roots Rhythms with Jewish themes and spirituality. He's performed up here in Albany several times at small venues, last night he hit one of the biggest local clubs "Northen Lights" with a full 5 piece band backing him up.

After enduring a couple of opening acts, one dismal one "alright" Matisyahu took to the stage at about quarter to 10:00 PM. The crowd was a weird mix of hip hop kids, Hassidic Jews in full regalia, Woodstock Rasta's and curious onlookers such as myself. The show was almost a totoal sell-out on a Tuesday night!!!! When they guy had played town before he'd barely filled much smaller venues, he's gettin' large now.

I know I'm getting old when I immediately think a band's way too loud, and I was near the rear and away from the gear!. I was looking for, expecting to hear, Jewish chants and raps layered over roots reggae, what I got was Jewish mysticism layered over todays Hip Pop. I guess Matisyahu's sound has evolved since he first hit the scene in 2005. He's now closer in sound to Usher than Marley. I admit I was a bit dissappointed as I only found 2 or 3 songs to dance to in the entire 2 hour show.

Bedecked in a hoody which he eventually shed as he got hotter and sweatier throughout the evening,Matisyahu, with long hair and flowing beard looked more like homeless man than genre defying pop star, but that's how he was greeted. Although he came out like a house afire to a riotus applause, after two tunes Matisyahu inexplicably stopped singing and began a long rambling 10 minute rap/poetry set that, while I admired it for audacity, was an absolute buzz kill. I found his "Last Poets" like musings "interesting" if uninspiring partially because he mumbled them so low I couldn't make out the words. Still, while obviously restless the majority of the crowd willingly waited for him to resume the grooves.

While I enjoyed parts of the show, I was never "moved" by either the performance or the music. One song almost moved me to tears though, a semi ballad wherein he told God "I will die for you because that's what we always do!" Deep, deep message there, eloquently stated. Only one segment of the show really annoyed me. Twice Matisyahu yielded the mic to another Jewish rapper (that's how he described himself, not me) who proceeded to use every rap cliche in the book to attempt to move the crowd. This I could've done without.

While not the worst show I'd ever seen I wish I'd caught Matisyahu earlier in his career when Reggae was his primary canvas.

Worf

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the review Worf. While not my cup of tea, I've always been kind of curious about Matisyahu and whether he's recognized as a serious musician or just creates a buzz because it's unusual to see a hasidic jew performing on stage much less singing reggae. I've also wondered who goes to see him perform.

Matisyahu seems like an enigma to me. Anytime I've seen him on TV, I just can't get over the feeling that I'm watching a dog trying to meow.

poppachubby
11-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Matisyahu is a great talent, however it's his band who are actually responsible for the great sound. They perform as a trio under the name "Roots Tonic". After Youth, they kind of lost me as it started to get a little repetitive.

I'll tell you though, one album I still reach for is Live at Stubb's. Just a fantastic performance with huge energy applied to the original recorded versions of these songs. I wouldn't bother with any studio albums and spin Live at Stubbs to hear what this band is capable of....cookin!!

http://bastardblog.lucien144.net/wp-content/uploads/1.jpg

Finch Platte
11-25-2009, 09:50 AM
I'll tell you though, one album I still reach for is Live at Stubb's. Just a fantastic performance with huge energy applied to the original recorded versions of these songs. I wouldn't bother with any studio albums and spin Live at Stubbs to hear what this band is capable of....cookin!!

http://bastardblog.lucien144.net/wp-content/uploads/1.jpg

I wholefartedly agree with this assessment.

Hyfi
02-04-2010, 06:12 PM
must have missed this thread. Nice writeup about the show. I like a good review even when ya don't like the show so much.

The music alone on the Stubb's disk is worth the listen and so is Matis. Spiritual but not over the top. A good message if you filter.