Bookshelf Speaker Stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf Speaker Stands

poppachubby
11-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Want to know how offcut mellamine, 4 old Ikea coffee table legs and a pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers come together? From the unloved, cold darkness of my basement these items shall rise up. They will know usefullness!! They will know a life other than a curb which leads to a dump.

Now rise completely old and useless items.....rise!!!!!!

Stay tuned...

harley .guy07
11-22-2009, 11:36 PM
let us see when you get them done. Stands are one of the simpler projects out there and many people go out and spend hundreds on them not knowing that a little ingenuity and a little knowledge in woodworking or metal working a good set of stands could be made for little money that would be just as nice as the ones from sanus or some of the other monufacturers out there that are selling stands at insane prices. I am by no way poking fun at people that buy their stands because some people just don't have the time or knowledge to do this but if you do then you could save a lot of money for other stuff for your system.

audio amateur
11-23-2009, 04:25 AM
I myself will hopefully be making stands come Christmas when I am home. I'll be making 'em 25" tall and fillable, so the main pillar will be square shaped and fillable by removing the top plate. All MDF. Well, that's what I have in mind...

Stay tuned :D

JohnMichael
11-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Now rise completely old and useless items.....rise!!!!!!

Stay tuned...

Seriously I will be curious to see what your fertile imagination creates.

poppachubby
11-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Dental appointment today, maybe tommorrow.

02audionoob
11-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Are you sure you wouldn't rather have them on cinder blocks?

blackraven
11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
In the spring, I'm going to make nice pair of stands out of Maple or Cherry wood. I'm going to go to a granite counter top store and pick out a remnant and have it cut down for the bases. I'm also going to buy sheets of sorbothane and glue them down to the speaker bases.

I'm going to buy this Kreig Jig which will make it easier to build.

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=109

It should cost about $300, which includes the $100's for the Jig.

poppachubby
11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
In the spring, I'm going to make nice pair of stands out of Maple or Cherry wood. I'm going to go to a granite counter top store and pick out a remnant and have it cut down for the bases. I'm also going to buy sheets of sorbothane and glue them down to the speaker bases.

I'm going to buy this Kreig Jig which will make it easier to build.

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=109

It should cost about $300, which includes the $100's for the Jig.

Sounds like a great project BR!!! I would love to help in any way possible. Wood selection is important. I have made 4 really nice stands previous to anything posted on AR. Generally, I have used really nice veneers rather than solid wood. Lumber is just so expensive anymore. It'll be well worth it. Even the low end things I've made I still look at with pride, makes the hobby way more fun and personal.

Chances are you will make something better than Ping-Ping putting together stands for 0.50 an hour in East Asia somewhere.

Anyhow, my day is looking busy tommorrow as well. You guys will love the simplicity of these things, I'll take photos for sure...

poppachubby
02-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Here's something I put together with some spare stuff at work. The ominous OP never came to fruition. I made them a little taller than usual, due to their nearfield position. The woofer is ear level.