Cervin Vega D-5 Digital Series: BLOWN ! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cervin Vega D-5 Digital Series: BLOWN !

normandydude
11-20-2009, 10:21 AM
My 14-year old daughter had a party and blew out my (formerly fabulous) Cerwin-Vega D-5 Digital Series speakers, which I have lovingly owned for 25 years. The "rubber" lining around the woofers had become brittle, and I was perhaps lax in having it replaced. But now, that rubber lining is completely shot and I believe the woofers are complete history. Any signal going through the speakers now sounds like crinkled paper being sawed. Even worse than that, frankly.

Should I even consider repairing them? Myself? Should I just accept that I got 25 years of great sound and move on to a new pair? Might the tweeter also be shot?

The problem is: the case is beautiful and in perfect shape. We had our wall library cabinet built around these speakers, and I hate to think that I'd be shopping for new speakers with cabinet size (75cm tall X 50 cm wide) as a primary criterium.

02audionoob
11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Is it just the woofers that sound bad...or all the drivers? Re-foaming is easy and cheap.

normandydude
11-21-2009, 02:03 AM
I do not seem to be getting any sound out of either the "tweeter" or the mid-range speaker. Sorry if I do not know the jargon. The woofer sounds terrible and is basically just hanging by the cables, the rubber liner completely crumbled away.

02audionoob
11-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Is there a reset button somewhere on the speaker? My old Cerwin-Vega speakers had breaker to protect the tweeter and midrange. It's perfectly reasonable that the woofer foam crumbled away. That should have been replaced by now. You can probably get the repair kit on eBay.

poppachubby
11-21-2009, 11:14 AM
By all means if you love them that much, fix the woofers. It can be done for a marginal cost. Not too sure about the tweeters though, if they are shot you will certainly have to replace them.

With some advice from some of the DIY speaker guys on AR, you should be fine. I am currently replacing my tweeters on an old pair of Avant vintage speakers. Might be a good opportunity to improve what was already super pleasing to your ear.

As for your daughter, might I suggest a closet, a padlock, alot of moldy bread and about 30 days? What can ya do? We were all teens at some time....

normandydude
11-22-2009, 04:44 AM
How do I find the parts I need?

poppachubby
11-22-2009, 06:00 AM
The parts are the least of your worries. Plenty of online retailers who sell for a good price. Your problem will be sorting out which to get. Obviously fit is a concern, also you must consider specs. Are the tweeters blown? You going to re-foam the woofers?

Funny, I was at a buddy's last night. He just refoamed and old pair of Sound Dynamics. These things are monsters. 2 - 12's and 1 - 6!!!

I am not a pro at speaker DIY. Try these guys:

harley .guy07
theebadone
kexodusc

they can point you in the right direction, try a nicely worded PM....

02audionoob
11-22-2009, 06:37 AM
How do I find the parts I need?

Like this...

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=cerwin+vega+repair+kit+12&_sacat=3276&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=3276

Of course, that addresses only the woofers. If the midrange and tweeter are completely silent, that would seem to indicate your speakers do have a breaker. I used to have a pair of D-3 and they had a reset button. I saw a thread about the D-9 at AK where they were discussing the reset button.