Couldn't resist the Paradigm Phantoms for $198/pr... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't resist the Paradigm Phantoms for $198/pr...

Jimmy C
11-19-2009, 03:32 PM
...well, we bought some new bedroom furniture (friggin' 'bout time!) and that didn't leave much room for the semi-vintage Boston A-100s I've been using. I needed a small floor-stander, or a tiny bookshelf with stands. Non-critical listening :^)

I was thinking about the Totem Arros (maybe used), but @ $1200ish new, quite expensive for a sporadically-used system. They're good in a boom-and-sizzle kinda way, but really not my thing. Also thought about the Silverline Minuets, but I would need stands and that would come in close to $1K. Uuggh...

To make a long story longer, 6th Ave. Electronics was selling a bunch of gear at 33% normal price... they had the Def Tec 6B for $250, and the Phantoms for $199. The DTs were covered in a wrap-around sock, and I have a cat. The Paradigms fit the bill aesthetically, as well as price.

I only have about 45 minutes on 'em, but they sound pretty good. Tweeter sounds very reminiscient of the Studio 60s I used to have, the twin 5.75" (?) woofers sound a bit wooly. We'll see if that clears up with some run-in.

The binding posts are a bit cheesy, and so is the finish...

Listening to some Patricia Barber (I know, I know... but a clean recording with some fairly deep bass) and they're OK... about what I expected.

We'll see if they get a bit better...

Mr Peabody
11-19-2009, 04:45 PM
They should sound pretty good. Maybe play with the positioning if the woofers don't sound better after break in, I would imagine some improvement will happen. But if space is cramped placement could make a world of difference.

harley .guy07
11-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I have heard the phantoms when I sold Paradigm years ago and they are good for the money. I do like what Mr.Peabody said and play with the placement of the paradigm speakers.They are placement sensitive. I would pull them further away from the walls and your bass will improve. I have a pair of Paradigm monitor 7's from the mid 90's that I have heavily modified but I still use the same midbass drivers and cabinets and I had to pull mine away from the walls around 2 feet or so to get the bass to tighten up. Just play around with placement. Also they are sensitive to placement when it comes to imaging and soundstaging but when you finally get it right they will do you well.

Jimmy C
11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
...move 'em around too much, they're probably sit where they are - flanking my computer desk.

I have a feeling they will get a bit better, and if that doesn't work, plugging the ports help. I'll put on that same Jack Johnson song on in a few days and see if the muddiness is as noticeable as hour one.

The White Stripes' "Elephant" was pretty much unlistenable with the Revel M20s I used to have, but that CD is much more palatable with these 1/11th the cost Paradigms. I think they'll fit the bill with a bit on run-in and tinkering.

Tell ya what... they sound even better knowing I didn't didn't drain the bank of $1200 ;*)

Mark111867
12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. Enjoy the Dickens Festival:)

-Mark