Need new power cord. Help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need new power cord. Help!

emaidel
11-19-2009, 05:10 AM
The power cord on my Dual CS-5000 is loose and keeps falling out. I can tell when it's about to fall out completely in that there's a loud, annoying hum at that point, and pushing the cord back into place gets rid of the hum (something I do only with the volume control turned all the way down). I've emailed several turntable parts places, but so far, haven't received any responses. Anybody know where I might find a new cord?

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to tape it in place. Not the most "professional" solution, but at least it works.

Luvin Da Blues
11-19-2009, 05:22 AM
Have you considered hard wiring the cord?

emaidel
11-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Have you considered hard wiring the cord?

I think that's a bit beyond my limited expertise, but still a good suggestion.

poppachubby
11-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Not sure where you live but I bet you could find a mom/pop repair shop that owuld put one in for way cheap. Maybe $20 if you sweet talk, all done while you wait. Easy repair...

Jim Eck
11-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Ed, could you provide a picture of the cord end that plugs in (male and female would really help), Parts Express and several others have many different types of cord ends, and it mabe that the part on the turntable is the culprit. If they don't have a cord already made up but we can get the correct ends I would be happy to make the cord up for you.

Which ever is the male part of the plug you might try carefully bending the prongs out slightly, this will make a tighter connection. Is it a 2 or 3 prong plug?

Jim

Jim Eck
11-19-2009, 07:57 AM
According to the Service Manual at The Vinyl Engine the part number is 279596, I would check to be sure though.

http://turntableexperts.com/ I have never done business with these people but they do claim to carry Dual parts.

Looking at the part it might be possible to build up the prongs with solder to make them fit tighter, or a slight bend to make a better connection.

Jim

Luvin Da Blues
11-19-2009, 10:22 AM
....Which ever is the male part of the plug you might try carefully bending the prongs out slightly, this will make a tighter connection. Is it a 2 or 3 prong plug?Jim

This is a good idea but I wouldn't want my cord to be held in with just the prongs. I'm guessing that the molded plastic "casing" in worn out.

....Looking at the part it might be possible to build up the prongs with solder to make them fit tighter,.........Jim

Another good idea but I think that regular solder would be too soft and would wear off in no time.

poppachubby
11-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I will re-iterate, for the cost why give it any thought? Have it hardwired and move on.

E-Stat
11-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Anybody know where I might find a new cord?
I'm going to agree with chubs in that this is a great opportunity to tweak what you've got for just a little bit of change. Power cords can make an audible difference with turntables. I replaced the wimpy lamp cord on my vintage Ariston with some decent shielded SJT wire and lowered the noise floor. The least expensive way to do this is to buy a pre-made Volex (division of Belden) 17616 cord from somewhere like Mouser for around twelve bucks and clip off the IEC plug. This is a 14 gauge shielded cord that could be used with your turntable - but would likely require some hard wiring. While this is a three conductor cable, you would leave the ground wire unterminated. In my case, the power cable was connected at a screw based terminal block, so it was a tad easier. You may well already have a spare IEC cable lying around used for a computer that would also be suitable.

Volex (http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Volex/17616-10-B1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvl4Mm6MN%2fmBH4917E1YBY24%252bkFU5PV gU8%3d)

rw

poppachubby
11-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm going to agree with chubs

rw

Well, 1150 posts, I knew this day would come! "Honey, get out the champagne!!"

emaidel
11-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions. I think pappa's comment in trying to locate a mom 'n pop service place to hardwire a new power cord may be the direction I'll go. Taking the bottom of the turntable off is a real PIA, which is why I'm loathe to do this myself. While I'm at it, I'll have the shop (should I be able to find one) hard wire new cables from the tonearm to replace the truly chintzy ones that are on this otherwise very good turntable. I did email turntableparts.com, and got no response.

poppachubby
11-19-2009, 06:08 PM
While I'm at it, I'll have the shop (should I be able to find one) hard wire new cables from the tonearm to replace the truly chintzy ones that are on this otherwise very good turntable.

Hmmmm, not sure I like this idea so much. You'd be better off approaching a hi-fi shop. Either way, this will certainly bring your bill up in cost. Perhaps just get the power cable wired in and then research the connects a bit before commiting.

Personally, I would make sure whoever was doing the cables has some background or experience in such a matter. I just did one of mine and I can assure you, it can be tricky depending on the table.