Power conditioner? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Power conditioner?

farfromphile
11-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Can anyone recommend a fairly good power conditioner that's reasonably priced? Say $100. or so? Mediocre will have to do. I saw one on ebay, a 10 outlet AR power bar/conditioner for $50. I don't know if one like that would be worthwhile buying. And by the way, since AR was bought out by a crappy company(forget wich one), should there products be avoided now? Thanks for replies.

blackraven
11-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I use this Cyberpower 1030ht and it has 6,000j protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-1030HT-10-Outlet-Surge-Suppressor/dp/B0009WDLPK

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/surge-protectors/home-theater/1030HT.html?selectedTabId=overview&imageI=#tab-box

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/surge-protectors/home-theater/1030HT.html?selectedTabId=specifications&imageI=#tab-box

farfromphile
11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. And you trust it for equipment that is a hell of a lot better than mine....

Jim Eck
11-18-2009, 03:06 AM
Take a look at Furman and Panamax, Monsters are ok but you are paying a lot for the name.

Jim

poppachubby
11-18-2009, 05:15 AM
And by the way, since AR was bought out by a crappy company(forget wich one), should there products be avoided now? Thanks for replies.

It's too soon to tell. They may allow AR to continue as they were or they may change it right up. Maybe a good change, who's to say. I haven't read much about the prospectus of this buy-out.

As an AR fan, I do hope they keep things rolling along or make some improvements. I have their Pro Series II cables linking most of my analog components in my audio and H/T systems. For the level of my gear, it's a great match.

Interesting thing, we just had a thread go off topic regarding power conditioning. I have a friend coming over tonight to run a breaker and dedicated line from my box. This is an alternative to power conditioning products. It will also be much cheaper as he will only charge me parts and no labour. The existing line will be for analog and the new line for digital.

Do you live in a house? Keep an eye out, I will post the results.

Jim Eck
11-18-2009, 05:48 AM
A dedicated line is a very good choice, I think I would still provide some good surge protection (lightning), and protection from low voltage.

Jim

squidboyw
11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
I have dedicated lines and isolated grounds for my system. I also use and have tried a number of different power conditioners. From my experience, a dedicated line does not take the place of a good power conditioner but is a great addition to power conditioning.

I also concur with the Furman recommendation. Many of the individuals in my local audiophile group love and use them. Several individuals use Furman products in addition to, and ahead of other power conditioners.

I don't want to be seen as promoting other audio site over AR, but if anyone would be interested in reading about our experiences and the testing that was done, PM me for the link to our site and the thread on Furman use.

Squiddy