Pricewise, is now the best time to get into HT, or what?!? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pricewise, is now the best time to get into HT, or what?!?

BadAssJazz
11-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I've seen (online) 42" 1080p plasmas on sale for $600. BD players from $139, speaker packages for under $300 ... and Black Friday is still a week away. If you're looking for a new toy, something tells me this is the year to get it. :thumbsup:

Woochifer
11-17-2009, 07:48 PM
You can say that for just about every holiday season.

Last year, when my 50" Panny plasma went down to $1,400, that was my trigger point. This year's model is down to $1,100 and I've seen it discounted close to $1,000. That probably hits someone else's trigger point. It's a great time to upgrade the TV and video components. Of course, it will probably be a better time next year. HDTVs have rapidly become more commodified and the same thing has happened with Blu-ray players.

The prices are tumbling on the video side, but I don't see nearly the same slippage on the audio side. In fact, I see the price points going up for things like speakers and HT receivers. Sure you can find lots of cheap stuff out there, but what's happening is manufacturers migrate their speaker and receiver models up to higher price points when they get improved, while introducing newer models to fill the former price points. The newer models are not necessarily comparable build quality or performance.

dakatabg
11-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Tear it up

harley .guy07
11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
The way I feel about it is that there no perfect time to get into HT. Every year of so they change the formats or add Dolby or DTS codecs that you have to find a processor to decode if your processor,Receiver,or dvd,blue ray player don't and tv's are constantly being better and cheaper so I guess it depends on when you are ready to spend the money and start the rat race to try to keep up with the ever changing thing that is home theater. Its a constant battle with no end in sight.

winston
11-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I've seen (online) 42" 1080p plasmas on sale for $600. BD players from $139, speaker packages for under $300 ... and Black Friday is still a week away. If you're looking for a new toy, something tells me this is the year to get it. :thumbsup:
you got that right "BAJ"

Brands Mart USA" over here in Miami,West Palm Beach and Broward county' are having one of those ridiculous sale starting Sunday 11/22 through Tuesday 24 her es an example - Panasonic and Sharp AQUOS,42" Plasmas" All under 500. bucks; LG B270 BR PLAYER $88.88 and they have pallets of these things!! http://www.brandsmartusa.com (they don't post prices on line you have to call) I got the flyer & news letter in my mail box .