wulf [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : wulf

bjdalton1
11-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I have B&W CDM 1NT Bookshelfs and a NAD C355BEE (80 watts per channel). I would like to get a sub woofer and a center channel speaker. I heard this set up at a stereo store but not with my set up. I am thinking that this would complete my system. What do you all say and if you all say yes should I get all brands to be B&W?
Thanks.

blackraven
11-16-2009, 06:48 PM
yes!!!!

JoeE SP9
11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Yes!!!!! Using all the same brand means the speakers will be timbre matched.

harley .guy07
11-16-2009, 09:05 PM
B&W speakers have a certain sound that most people will say is all their own so going with all B&W would be a good move on your part. I will add that if you can stay in the sam e model series of B&W's because their different model series use different drivers and crossovers and will not be the timbre of what you have.

E-Stat
11-17-2009, 07:03 AM
I have B&W CDM 1NT Bookshelfs and a NAD C355BEE (80 watts per channel). I would like to get a sub woofer and a center channel speaker... I am thinking that this would complete my system.
To exactly what will you connect your center (third) channel speaker? The NAD is a two channel integrated with no provision for either the source nor the output to a center channel. What you really need is a multi-channel receiver.

rw

poppachubby
11-17-2009, 07:13 AM
I think you should stick with 2 channel/2 speakers. Are you wanting these extra speakers for music or movies? I will assume music. I'm not a fan of multiple speakers for music listening. 2 ears/2speakers and you can't go wrong 9/10 set-ups.

Maybe take the budget for the center and sub, combine it with the sale of your bookshelves and look at some solid floorstanders. With an 80 watt NAD, the difference in performance from your bookshelves to these will be more than audible.

If it's movies you're looking at, I would suggest a seperate 5.1 receiver using your bookshelves as a start for your fronts. Build on this and you can have a really nice little H/T. I might suggest some Polk r15's for rears.

Good luck and keep us posted!

bjdalton1
11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Music. What are 9/10 set ups. the speakers are nice they just seem to be missing a little something. So you think the NADs can power some floor standers?

blackraven
11-17-2009, 09:20 PM
An NAD at 80wpc should be able to power most speakers with no problem.

harley .guy07
11-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Music. What are 9/10 set ups. the speakers are nice they just seem to be missing a little something. So you think the NADs can power some floor standers?

I agree with poppa chubby that if music is your main concern then stick with 2 channel and leave the center channel thing alone. In my opinion if you have your speakers set up right and they are of quality designs and build they should image good enough with a good amp and source components that a center channel would be a waste and not needed since your better speakers make vocals and center imaged musical information make it sound like you have a invisable center speaker anyway. Now a subwoofer might be an option since you are running bookshelves and a good musical sub would cover the lower frequencies that your speakers would not hit but I would shop around since most subs especially ones that are budget oriented are more created for movies and are way to overdone and boomy for music production. And yes your NAD could power a lot of the smaller floorstanding speakers out there to descent volume levels if you picked ones with a higher sensetivity rating, somewhere in the high 80's to mid 90 db's would be fine.