New HT System Questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New HT System Questions

efontaine
03-26-2004, 11:44 AM
I am looking to purchase a decent HT/music 5.1 system. I would prefer small sat. speakers or small bookshelf. My room is 12x18. One wall perpendicular to my TV has a fire place and two large windows. The wall opposite the TV wall is one large window.

I have looked at the new Boston Acoustics Micro System 520. It uses the BA 120x micro speakers and a 12" sub.

Also looked into the Klipsch RSX sat's and the RCX center. I looked into a 12" sub as well.

Any recommendations on a system to fulfill my music and HT needs.

I listen to a lot of music and would like some recommendations.

My budget is around 2k.

Thanks

markw
03-26-2004, 02:01 PM
If you listen to a lot of music you might want to consider larger speakers.

When choosing speakers, use music as your main source. Speakers that sound good on muskc will sound good on movies. Alas, the opposite is not true.

Listen to verything you can everywhere you can. Your ears will tell you what's right and what's wrong. Don't wait for someone here to procalim something the grand poo bah end all and be all solution to your orgasmic listening pleasure. Chances are if they do, you probably won't like it.

But, most importantly, is that $2000 just for speakers? If not, what is it for.

efontaine
03-26-2004, 02:04 PM

When choosing speakers, use music as your main source. Speakers that sound good on muskc will sound good on movies. Alas, the opposite is not true.

Listen to verything you can everywhere you can. Your ears will tell you what's right and what's wrong. Don't wait for someone here to procalim something the grand poo bah end all and be all solution to your orgasmic listening pleasure. Chances are if they do, you probably won't like it.

But, most importantly, is that $2000 just for speakers? If not, what is it for.

Thanks for the input. I know that listening will be the ultimate thing that I will base my purchase on. I am just looking for recommendations for speakers to audition, in other words, where should I focus my ears???

By the way, the 2k is just for speakers...I have the receiver.

markw
03-26-2004, 02:22 PM
What else have you listened to?

Are there any stores in your area which have these goodies?

Actually, where are you?

Sometimes people from your geographical area might be able to recommend a speaker and a place to listen to them.

...and, also important, what receiver do you have? Some receivers don't like some speakers.

46minaudio
03-26-2004, 05:47 PM

Was gonna say the same thing but Mark said it best..grand poo bah speaker gods you know there's none here,is there?

Studio B
03-26-2004, 07:20 PM
I agree, your ears are your choice of buy. What kind of music do you listen to? I would have to agree with larger front speakers, since you will most likely listen to music in stereo. It also depends on the power ratings of your receiver.

r3dline
03-26-2004, 07:30 PM
If you're devoting 2k to speakers alone...don't skimp by buying satelites. You'll get much warmer and deeper sound out of something bigger. For 2k, you could get a pair of nice (moderately sized, too) floor standing speakers. Then get the matching two surrounds for the back, and the center. Then take a listen to that...and decide from that if you NEED a sub. If you get a nice pair of towers for the two mains...you might not need the sub. However, for 2k...if you shop around...I would think you should be able to get a nice pair of towers for the two mains, two surrounds, and a center, and maybe even a sub too.

And I guarantee you, they would give you more depth to your music and movies than the smaller speakers.

Call me bias...but I just love the "bigger" sound of a bigger speaker. I can't stand to listen to music with no midrange (small sats and a sub).

If you're worried about size...you still should be able to get a nice sounding tower that's fairly reasonable on size.

Warning: My advice is based on what little experience I have under my belt, building on the last 5 years, and is in no way intended as scientific facts. Please also consider that, like the average human being, I may tend to be a bit bias toward my own personal preferences in audio. Use your own judgement and common sense, and please always listen for yourself. If it sounds good to you, the hell with what other say. ;)

cam
03-26-2004, 07:52 PM
If you're devoting 2k to speakers alone...don't skimp by buying satelites. You'll get much warmer and deeper sound out of something bigger. For 2k, you could get a pair of nice (moderately sized, too) floor standing speakers. Then get the matching two surrounds for the back, and the center. Then take a listen to that...and decide from that if you NEED a sub. If you get a nice pair of towers for the two mains...you might not need the sub. However, for 2k...if you shop around...I would think you should be able to get a nice pair of towers for the two mains, two surrounds, and a center, and maybe even a sub too.

And I guarantee you, they would give you more depth to your music and movies than the smaller speakers.

Call me bias...but I just love the "bigger" sound of a bigger speaker. I can't stand to listen to music with no midrange (small sats and a sub).

If you're worried about size...you still should be able to get a nice sounding tower that's fairly reasonable on size.

Warning: My advice is based on what little experience I have under my belt, building on the last 5 years, and is in no way intended as scientific facts. Please also consider that, like the average human being, I may tend to be a bit bias toward my own personal preferences in audio. Use your own judgement and common sense, and please always listen for yourself. If it sounds good to you, the hell with what other say. ;)
When you buy bookshelf speakers you have the added cost of stands so IMO use that money towards floorstanders. To me they are warmer and fuller but some manufacturers skimp out on the construction of the box. If you are not careful you could buy a very bad set of floorstanders. Where I disagree is that even if you buy a set of awesome floorstanders you will ALWAYS need to compliment them with a sub for a true HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE.

r3dline
03-26-2004, 08:19 PM
I'll agree with your note about the sub. HOWEVER, I was basing that on his statement that he listened to a lot of music. Assuming music was his primary concern, he might not need a sub for music. However, for movies...yeah, I'd want a sub too. hehe

I was just saying that he wouldn't HAVE to buy a sub, if he was just listening to music most of the time. But I agree that for movies and home theater, a sub is definately encouraged.

As for the cheap cabinets, that is definately something to watch out for...but really, that's to be watched for with any speaker, be it floor or bookshelf. But with 2k for speakers...he can definately afford some nice speakers with some nice cabinets of good build quality. He'll just have to do some homework and check them out good.

efontaine: Be sure to read lots of reviews and listen to as many speakers as you can first hand with your own CDs of the music you prefer. Remember that some speakers are better suited for different genres of music. And definately remember that just because a speaker sounds good with a movie soundtrack does NOT mean it sounds good with music. But like Mark said, if it sounds good with your preferred music, it will most likely sound pretty damn good to you when watching a movie.

Now...back to the small vs. big speaker argument. Myself personally, I prefer to listen to music in 2-channel. That's the way it was recorded (I'm not referring to DVD-Audio and SACD soundtracks that have ambience and such mixed in), and for myself, that's the way it sounds best, without any "added effects" from other channels. My girlfriend is constantly wanting to listen to music on my system in all 5 channels, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what she likes about it. It just sounds all washed out to me. I get more depth out of 2-channel (call me crazy). And for that reason, among many others, I prefer a bigger speaker up front. To me...it just sounds better. And that's what it's all about. Personal preference, baby. Oh yeah. ;)

Happy listening.

cam
03-26-2004, 08:47 PM
I am looking to purchase a decent HT/music 5.1 system. I would prefer small sat. speakers or small bookshelf. My room is 12x18. One wall perpendicular to my TV has a fire place and two large windows. The wall opposite the TV wall is one large window.

I have looked at the new Boston Acoustics Micro System 520. It uses the BA 120x micro speakers and a 12" sub.

Also looked into the Klipsch RSX sat's and the RCX center. I looked into a 12" sub as well.

Any recommendations on a system to fulfill my music and HT needs.

I listen to a lot of music and would like some recommendations.

My budget is around 2k.

Thanks
If you prefer small sats. atleast look at bookshelfs with a 6.5 - 7 inch woofer. 5.5 inch woofers most likely will not produce a fullish sound that you will most likely want. Also if you go with a bookshelf that has an 8 inch woofer you may find it to be a bit muddy sounding. All depends on your tastes.

efontaine
03-29-2004, 05:29 AM
I appreciate everybody chiming in on their thoughts....

Back to some original questions, I am located in Western Massachusetts and work in Conn. so I have access to shops throughout Mass and Conn. As far as stores around here, I am trying to find some good local shops to listen other than Tweeters and Best Buy.

My receiver is an HK AVR 325.

I did audition some speakers this weekend. They were the Klipsch Synergy SF-2 Floorstanding speakers. I listened to the music, (Counting Crows, DMB, also all Classic Rock) in 2-channel and these sounded pretty good. I really did not like the music in 5 channels and with the sub on, the low frequency was a little too fake.

Anyway, I am keeping on keeping on. Next speakers on my agenda are some Boston Acoustic's.

r3dline
03-29-2004, 06:25 AM
I'm somewhat of a fan of Klipsch. Their speakers are usually very clear and crisp (sometimes bright, though, because of the horns, in my opinion). It's been a few years since I auditioned the reference series shortly after they first came out. So as for their bass, I don't really recall...

But as for my own preference, if I'm listening to a 2-channel music recording, I think it sounds like CRAP if played back in 5.1. At that point...it's just "made-up effects" in my book. So primarily, if I'm listening to music, I keep it in 2-channel. I only switch to multi-channel modes for home theater. Every now and then I'll use "Hall" mode with SOME music. But again, that's rare and only on certain CDs that just sound half-way decent in 5 channels. Again...this is personal preference for me.

As for the sub...from what I've found, many times when using a sub with music, I think it's just too much. It sounds alright with some tracks, but for the most part, I've never been too impressed with using a sub for music...seeing as how I prefer 2-channel anyway...

I like the sub for home theater. That's primarily it's intent, in my opinion.

Oh yeah...also, on those Klipsch speakers. If I recall right, those are usually very efficient speakers and can be driven very loud with little power. Of course, this usually isn't much of a concern unless your receiver is rated at like 30 wpc or something crazy. But regardless...you should find that those speakers can play quite loudly.

Again, I'm a Klipsch fan myself, based on about an hour of auditioning I had with them a few years ago.