I Found some little Gems: Very Vintage Kenwood LS-405A's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I Found some little Gems: Very Vintage Kenwood LS-405A's

Charlie04SiR
11-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Yep, I found these on ebay a few weeks ago. I am back from a long sebattical :) I found me a pair of Kenwood LS-405A speakers from 1976-77. 10 Inch woofer, 1.75 inch unibody tweeter, 55Hz-21kHz +/- 2dB Octave, 93dB @ 1W/1M, 100 Watts RMS, 180 Watts Intermittent. These Little 30 Lb gems are amazing performers. The tweeter is so crisp, & clear with a filter resistor inline with the 2.5uF cap, crossing it over @ 2,500Hz. Bass response is linear, flat, tight and VERY quick. The baffle is made of true triple crosslaid Lauan Lumber core in the same fashion as how the soundboards are made in grand Pianos, with birch plywood, which gives testament to it's superior sound quality and performance. I just finished refoaming the woofer after redoing previous owner's poor attempt at a incorrect refoam job. They survived my surgery and are doing well. :)

dakatabg
11-15-2009, 08:53 AM
They look great! How much did you pay for them?

poppachubby
11-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Considering the previous owner's attempt and your refoaming job, they look great. No glue or crap on the face, well done!!

Charlie04SiR
11-15-2009, 02:11 PM
hi dakatabg & poppachubby, thanks for the compliments guys. I take great pride in my work because I am a fanatic of sorts when it comes to fixing things. :) Ohhh, I also installed the correct tweeters in these, since I had a spare pair. I got them with "chopped" KLH tweeters in them, hehehe. The original unibody tweeter is so clear, crisp and detailed, it cannot be replicated by aftermarket or other brand ones. Don't be fooled by tweeters that "look" the same as these, they are not even close sound-wise.

dakatabg
11-15-2009, 03:22 PM
How do they sound? How are the highs and the bass?

Charlie04SiR
11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
to put it simply, these speakers sound amazingly clear, with nice smooth highs that don't roll off at certain frequencies, they are flat all the way through the frequency response curve, and the bass, oh man, for a 10 incher, they will knock stuff off shelves, really quick and tight, they maintain civility right down to it's rated 55Hz and seem to handle even lower Hz's before they start to roll off. For power, I used my Pioneer SX-1980. I've never heard such clarity and accuracy come from a 2-way speaker. All I can say about these beauties is, WOW!