DaveG, DarrenH and other Prog Lovers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DaveG, DarrenH and other Prog Lovers

ForeverAutumn
03-26-2004, 11:36 AM
I've been listening to this disk by a new prog band called Cryptic Vision. The disk is called Moments of Clarity. I've mentioned them briefly in the past. But as I sit here listening to them again, I realize that they are worth another mention.

Everytime I listen to this disk, I can't help but notice the heavy Kansas influence. There are elements of some other obvious influences including a direct Pink Floyd impersonation (close your eyes and just for a few seconds you would swear the vocalist was Roger Waters) and there is a song (Angeline) that sounds an awful lot like Boston. But Kansas seems to be the one band that I hear the most clearly in parts of this CD.

The music is all original songs written by the band. But they sound like they could very well be an excellent cover band for any of the great prog bands.

I'm working on a comp that will include a couple of tracks off of this CD. But, in the meantime, it's worth paying attention to. The music is solid and the musicianship is really good.

Check them out. I don't think that anyone here would be disappointed in this disk.

DarrenH
03-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up FA.

I found a copy over at Laser's Edge for 11 US clams. Not a bad price.

So I ordered it.

LE's write up was on par with what you said. Should be interesting. I'll let ya know.

Darren

Dave_G
03-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks,

maybe a benefactor someday will score me a snippet of this bands output.

Regards,

Dave_G_Progger

DarrenH
03-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Hey Autumn,

They're sure raving about this over at progressiveears.

Have you read that thread?

I really look forward to this.

Btw, have you heard of the band Cruachan?

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2004, 06:44 AM
Hey Autumn,

They're sure raving about this over at progressiveears.

Have you read that thread?

I really look forward to this.

Btw, have you heard of the band Cruachan?

Thanks for pointing that out Darren. I haven't spent much time over at progressiveears, but I should stop by there more often. Although, based on my experience there this morning the site is pretty slow and cumbersome (even more so than here).

It's interesting to see Jerry's, from ProgRockRecords, comment about having trouble keeping the disk in stock. I ordered my copy from PRR, paid $9.95 US for it and received an unsealed special edition pre-release for promotional use only copy. I couldn't decide whether to complain or not, I didn't. Should I have complained, do you think?

I haven't heard of Cruachan. Is it something that I should check out?

DarrenH
03-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Thanks for pointing that out Darren. I haven't spent much time over at progressiveears, but I should stop by there more often. Although, based on my experience there this morning the site is pretty slow and cumbersome (even more so than here).

It's interesting to see Jerry's, from ProgRockRecords, comment about having trouble keeping the disk in stock. I ordered my copy from PRR, paid $9.95 US for it and received an unsealed special edition pre-release for promotional use only copy. I couldn't decide whether to complain or not, I didn't. Should I have complained, do you think?

I haven't heard of Cruachan. Is it something that I should check out?

Huh, promos are just that, promotional. Meant to be given away. Not sold. In fact, it's illegal to sell promos although I don't think it's regularly inforced. I know my local used CD shop won't take promos because they can't sell them.

Anyway, I'm not sure Cruachan may be for you. There's some femme vox and the music is what I would describe as Irish Folk Metal. Crazy, isn't it. I like it a lot. They use traditional Irish folk instruments in conjunction with guitars and drums to create this overall heavy sound.

If you want, I could burn you a copy so you can test drive it. If you like the ride go get a legit copy.

Darren

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Irish Folk Metal? I must say that while it certainly sounds intriguing, it's not a description that makes me want to run out and test drive it. Thanks for the offer, but save your mailing costs for something that sounds like I might enjoy it. :-)

I sent an email to Shawn Gordon about charging me for the promo. While I was at it I mentioned the fact that they charged me $8.55 for shipping but the cost on the envelope was only $3-something. Handling was charged separately. I'll let you know what his response is.

ForeverAutumn
03-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Here's Shawn Gordon's response to my inquiry re: receiving a promo copy.

The band manufactured the first run before we signed them, all the original inventory (which is almost gone) said "promo copy" and was not shrink wrapped, we have 2 other artists that aren't shrink wrapped either. We've since put a bar code sticker over that text to avoid confusion and are now doing a new run that won't have it, so in actuality you have what could end up being a fairly valuable collectors item at some point if the band continues to do well since those will never be done again.

I'm still not convinced that I should have been charged for this promo copy. But, hey the music is good and I was willing to pay for the disk anyway so, no big deal. Maybe, in a few years, I can score big with this on ebay. :D