A Lucky Streak!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A Lucky Streak!!

poppachubby
11-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I responded to an ad on Kijiji, vinyl for sale. Turns out this fellas grandpa died, and it was his collection. I pulled out a few titles, covers beat up a bit but vinyl looking literally mint. Not all the best pressings but none less than 120g, respectable. Here's the thing, he had Neil Young's Decade, original Canadian pressing, all 3 LPs mint. He also had Tom Waits Asylum Years, both LPs also mint. I mean they look like they've never been used, not even a fingerprint.

The Neil Young and Tom Waits are HUGE scores. I tossed him a 20 and he looked at me all crazy. I thought, oh boy, how much does he want....

I was wrong, he asked how much out of the 20 I wanted to pay. I laughed, out of respect to his grandad, an obvious music fan, I gave him the 20. He told me he thought I would pay 0.25 for each!! I just couldn't do it, felt wrong.

He also had a pile of his G-dad's stuff laying around in his garage, with the vinyl. Of course, a pile of gear. He saw my interest and tro make a long story short, I scored a pair of Theatre Audio CSJ-100 by Pioneer. Never heard of them but they're a fine looking pair of bookshelves. I offered him 30 and we had a deal.

There it is in a nutshell folks. The speakers sound great!!

Anyhow, alot of blabbing to simply say, I'm having a hell of a week!!

poppachubby
11-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Speakers...

poppachubby
11-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Anyone know anything about these?

audio amateur
11-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Cool catch man! I bet you'll enjoy the new Vinyl.
As for the speaker, I believe Pioneer was better back in the day. Nice find

poppachubby
11-14-2009, 12:06 PM

Well, I think I've found a great match for the 1515. This pair sound really great, tons of bass response and excellent mid too. The rear port is pushing tons of air. These aren't as solid feeling as the Angstroms, I wonder if I will need to stuff them. We'll see, so far so good.

Jim Eck
11-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Vey nice Score.

Jim

Geoffcin
11-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Nice score!

Pioneer speakers made in Canada? Neat!

jrhymeammo
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Nice grab there Poppa,

There it be New or Used, different gear is always fun. Awesome grab on the wax as well.

BTW, it is just me or is Poppa becoming the Canadian version of 'thekid'.
Pretty soon, you are going to have to buy another house for your gear.

Have Fun,
JRA

frenchmon
11-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Good catch poppaC...and hoping you give a review of the speakers.

frenchmon

frenchmon
11-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Not so sure about that...the Elite series is far better today and have you seen their high end speakers? The TAD and EX series are audiophile quality speakers costing well into the thousands of dollars. Heres only one example. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/Speakers/EX-Speakers/ci.S-1EX.Kuro

frenchmon

audio amateur
11-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Not so sure about that...the Elite series is far better today and have you seen their high end speakers? The TAD and EX series are audiophile quality speakers costing well into the thousands of dollars. Heres only one example. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/Speakers/EX-Speakers/ci.S-1EX.Kuro

frenchmon
Yes, I am aware that they have very high end stuff nowadays, but I am talking more in a general sense of their overall products. The quality of their products seems to have gone down since they changed their logo, and perhaps even a little before that.

LeRoy
11-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Good job on keeping the eyes and ears wide open.

Enjoy the newest finds.

LeRoy

JohnMichael
11-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Good catch and good on you for paying a fair price.:3:

squidboyw
11-14-2009, 04:55 PM
You did very well. Congrats!

poppachubby
11-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey thanks everyone. The funny thing is that as soon as I finished the deal, I couldn't wait to tell you guys. I mean, telling my wife just isn't the same...can I get an amen?!?

I am listening to Ray Charles from the new speaks, they sound excellent and fill the room with more than enough sound. They are similar to the M3's i just got except in respect to clarity and speed. All around a fine speaker, not much online about them. I'll wait for E-Unit's breakdown of the specs. That's my new name for E-Stat btw, it's time we update rw!

It's funny, I chanced upon both sets of bookshelves and as it turns out, they are ideal for my needs. Space, sound and look. Who knew? I guess Audio Jesus thought it was time.

atomicAdam
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
very nice score - the tom waits find is awesome! congrats on that one. and got to love the Canadian spirit - paying for what it is worth rather than ripping the dude off.

where are the photos of your set up?

poppachubby
11-14-2009, 07:27 PM
very nice score - the tom waits find is awesome! congrats on that one. and got to love the Canadian spirit - paying for what it is worth rather than ripping the dude off.

where are the photos of your set up?

Spread throughout different threads Adam , but here's what it looks like tonight...I'm in the middle of some changes. BTW, still having a horrible time with the upload tool. So here are a couple, each in its own post.

poppachubby
11-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Analog world...

poppachubby
11-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Digital world , with the infamous TT of course...

atomicAdam
11-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Digital world , with the infamous TT of course...

I see a large Bob Marley influence there - very large. Where's the smoking roach?

poppachubby
11-14-2009, 08:12 PM
The room is a little chaotic looking in a photo. It's my man-cave, my wife doesn't say anything about it, it's mine. So I've jammed in everythiing that makes me happy. Bob Marley, my favorite European soccer team, my kids artwork, etc.

Hey, what are we doing with the GT? Get a shipping quote Monday Adam, if you're not too busy. I have that Tom waits on my Pioneer with the new OMB-10. For 120 gram it sounds brilliant. It won't see too many spins with anything less than a mint stylus.