Nor'easter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nor'easter

thekid
11-14-2009, 04:35 AM
I was lucky to be away most of this week while this November Nor'easter dumped about a foot of water on our area. with us being so low and the ground water always pretty high it does not take much to cause some flooding. Here is pic from my backyard. What you are looking at in the foreground is normally the fairway on the 3rd hole. We managed to stay dry but a few were not so lucky and had some minor flooding and downed trees.

Feanor
11-14-2009, 04:42 AM
I was lucky to be away most of this week while this November Nor'easter dumped about a foot of water on our area. with us being so low and the ground water always pretty high it does not take much to cause some flooding. Here is pic from my backyard. What you are looking at in the foreground is normally the fairway on the 3rd hole. We managed to stay dry but a few were not so lucky and had some minor flooding and downed trees.
Looks pretty damp, Kid. I hope the worst is over.

ForeverAutumn
11-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Wow. That's quite the water hazard.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow Kid, I hope you know how to swim. A few more inches of rain and you would have found yourself doing the back stroke.

thekid
11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

Water has receeded alot in the last couple of days but I have been seeing a lot of Serve Pro and water damage restoration trucks on the road. What is so shameful about the situation is that down here I pay a separate "Storm and Sewer" fees every quarter which are supposed to go towards making sure storm drains are maintained and kept clear. Now granted there were alot of fallen leaves that caused sewers to back up but there was alos damage done because the city does do the required upkeep to make sure the water flows through the storm system. Part of another fee which is paid quarterly is supposed to help maintain a system of pumps that are supposed to take excessive storm run off and pump it out to the ocean. In all my years living here I have never seen anyone come out to the pump house (see the small brick building in the far right side of photo) to turn on the pumps. When we get these types of storms the same thing happens to the same areas and no one ever holds the city accountable for the services that are paid for but not provided.

audio amateur
11-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes it takes a lot of damage for people to react and do things to avoid further damage, which is always a shame.

poppachubby
11-17-2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

Water has receeded alot in the last couple of days but I have been seeing a lot of Serve Pro and water damage restoration trucks on the road. What is so shameful about the situation is that down here I pay a separate "Storm and Sewer" fees every quarter which are supposed to go towards making sure storm drains are maintained and kept clear. Now granted there were alot of fallen leaves that caused sewers to back up but there was alos damage done because the city does do the required upkeep to make sure the water flows through the storm system. Part of another fee which is paid quarterly is supposed to help maintain a system of pumps that are supposed to take excessive storm run off and pump it out to the ocean. In all my years living here I have never seen anyone come out to the pump house (see the small brick building in the far right side of photo) to turn on the pumps. When we get these types of storms the same thing happens to the same areas and no one ever holds the city accountable for the services that are paid for but not provided.

Sounds like you have your cause. Why not champion this and head down to your city hall? :10: You can bet that support will come easy. When tax dollars are involved, people get a little bit emotional...shame about your golf course, that type of flooding will cause real damage to the greens.