Question about the Klipsch subwoofer. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Klipsch subwoofer.

Max_GTX295
11-14-2009, 02:24 AM
I'm looking for a subwoofer for an Onkyo txsr607 amplifier.

I'm not sure which of these would be more suitable for a 20-25 square meter room.

A 100 watt Klipsch KSW-10 or a 420 watt Klipsch Sub-10. Im not sure what is a difference between these units except wattage and a slightly different band range just by 1 hertz in the case of the more powerful unit. Both subwoofers are in the same price level.

audio amateur
11-14-2009, 04:16 AM
Are we allowed you steer you towards other brands/models? What's your budget?

The Sub-10 appears to be the newer and better unit of the two, however there probably isn't a huge difference either. If you tell us what your budget is, we will almost certainly come up with something better.

Max_GTX295
11-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Yes, certainly I'm looking forward to consider different brands.

The price range would be 200-300 Euro.

The subwoofer is going to be used as a part of the 5.1 (7.1 in the future) system mainly for watching DVD/Blu-ray movies and HDTV. I'd like some deep bass rather than a lot of random noise. The speaker should be capable to produce some good quality sound even if the volume is reduced.

Geoffcin
11-14-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm looking for a subwoofer for an Onkyo txsr607 amplifier.

I'm not sure which of these would be more suitable for a 20-25 square meter room.

A 100 watt Klipsch KSW-10 or a 420 watt Klipsch Sub-10. Im not sure what is a difference between these units except wattage and a slightly different band range just by 1 hertz in the case of the more powerful unit. Both subwoofers are in the same price level.

Welcome to the AR forums!

I'm not familiar with either sub, but I can tell you that sub specs can be deceiving. It's not how low the sub goes, it's how loud the sub can play low. Most honest measurements tell you max SPL at different Hz points. If you can't get these specs for the subs in question, then all things being equal I would recommend the more powerful sub.

audio amateur
11-14-2009, 04:53 AM
I see you're stating budget in eur, where are you located?

Max_GTX295
11-14-2009, 05:09 AM
Thanks for help.

I see you're stating budget in eur, where are you located?

Poland

it's how loud the sub can play low.

This is something I'm trying to calculate and not to overpay for the unit that is simply too big in the 25 square meter room and rather suitable for very large rooms or commercial purposes. My neighbours can't be disturbed.

Although I have set the price range I'm still trying to save basically on power (in terms of loudness) that can't be utilized in my conditions. However the quality of the sound should remain as good as possible in the choosen price range.

audio amateur
11-14-2009, 05:59 AM
What you need to understand is that it's always better to get something that has a little headroom, then something that might be strained. A subwoofer is supposed to blend in with your main speakers, and one of the ways of doing this is correctly setting the independent subwoofer volume control. This gives you flexibility having what sounds good to you and not having the neighbours complain.

Your location limits your options. Personally, I would look at used subwoofers, report back here about your findings and we'll tell you what we think.
The problem is I don't know much about the subwoofer market in Poland.
I can suggest these subwoofers from a british company, which are well regarded:
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

They ship to Poland it seems, but at a price. The XLS200 subwoofer could suit you but it's little above budget, especially with the extra shipping fee.

Max_GTX295
11-14-2009, 06:41 AM
We have a lot of speakers including subwoofers available to buy locally so there is no need to pay high fees for international shipping. In shops many brands are available such as Yamaha, M-Audio, Magnat, Jamo, Quadral, Koda, Wharfedale, Klipsch, Canton, JBL, KEF and more.

I don't know much about these companies except Yamaha.

M-Audio speakers seem to be popular locally but some people on local forums find other brands better. I found some good reviews about Klipsch speakers and they are in my price range.

Some cheaper subwoofers are hardly 50 Watt or can't cope with frequncies below 40Hz.