Going to se the Outlaws on Sunday [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Going to se the Outlaws on Sunday

Hyfi
11-13-2009, 04:02 AM
Outlaws - Steve Marriot - Lynyrd Skynyrd was my first concert somewhere near the release of the self titled album with Green Grass and High Tides. The band has been in existence in one form or another since 1968. Unfortunately, one of the best singers and songwriters they ever had passed away a few years ago. RIP Hughie Thompson.

The venue will be new to me this show. The Colonial Theater in Pheonixville PA. Seating 658 with a balcony, where I will be, there isn't a bad seat in the house.

Any fans around?

You are the Show!:23:

Swish
11-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Outlaws - Steve Marriot - Lynyrd Skynyrd was my first concert somewhere near the release of the self titled album with Green Grass and High Tides. The band has been in existence in one form or another since 1968. Unfortunately, one of the best singers and songwriters they ever had passed away a few years ago. RIP Hughie Thompson.

The venue will be new to me this show. The Colonial Theater in Pheonixville PA. Seating 658 with a balcony, where I will be, there isn't a bad seat in the house.

Any fans around?

I had my 'Southern rock' thing for a time, starting off with the Allman Brothers. The 1975 debut record by the Outlaws was pretty good (still like Knoxville Girl), but I quickly grew tired of the genre, although not the Allman's as they were a cut above and way more bluesy than the others.

It's hard to believe the Outlaws are still around. They've had over 40 different band members since they got started, but I guess there remains a dedicated fan base. Never been to that venue so I can't help you with that.

Mr Peabody
11-13-2009, 05:17 PM
If I like something it usually stays liked unless I get burned out on it.

I like the Outlaws quite a bit and even have an LP by Henry Paul Band. I wonder if he is still with them or what? Actually a pretty good album too. I liked the more electric and rocking side of the Outlaws. The Country stuff on Green Grass didn't do much for me. Not sure why, I'm not opposed to a little Country now and again.

I also like Molly Hatchet. 38 Special was pretty good on the first couple albums.

Jack in Wilmington
11-14-2009, 04:43 AM

Any fans around?

I'll have to check that place out. Pheonixville isn't far from me. I've seen The Outlaws three or four times but not since the late 70's. Mostly at the Spectrum and the Tower Theater.

Hyfi
11-14-2009, 04:50 AM
If I like something it usually stays liked unless I get burned out on it.

I like the Outlaws quite a bit and even have an LP by Henry Paul Band. I wonder if he is still with them or what? Actually a pretty good album too. I liked the more electric and rocking side of the Outlaws. The Country stuff on Green Grass didn't do much for me. Not sure why, I'm not opposed to a little Country now and again.

I also like Molly Hatchet. 38 Special was pretty good on the first couple albums.

I think Henry Paul and Monte Yoho are the two well knowns still in the band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaws_(band)

I will post a review after the show

Hyfi
11-16-2009, 11:11 AM
What a good show. I saw the Outlaws as my first concert in 1975 and now 35 years later I got to see them again.

First off, the Colonial Theater is way cool. From 1904 but slowly being restored. Seats about 658 with 180 in balcony where we sat. Stadium seating throughout so nobody's head in your way.

The show started just a few minutes past scheduled time. Original members from the 1975 band were Mote Yoho and Henry Paul. I didn't get all the other names but along with HP were two very good guitar players and bass and now keyboards also.

They started off with something new but went right into well known favorites. They played at least 4 tunes before stopping to say hello. Henry took several minutes to acknowledge the fans and say thank you for remaining loyal and continuing to support the band. (Fripp, take some lessons in humility) The set list was pretty close to the Green Grass best of disk along with about 4 new songs, dedicated to the 3 members who passed away. One tune was called The Flame, in memory of Hughie whose nickname was the Flame.

Well known tracks played included:
There Goes Another Love Song
Knoxville Girl
Waterhole
Freeborn Man
Prisoner
Hurry Sundown
You Are The Show
Gunsmoke
Green Grass and High Tides
And the encore was Ghost Riders in the Sky

Overall play time was close to an hour and 50 minutes with no real stoppage of play.

The sound was quite good but at some point during the show, they raised the volume which was not needed. Henry Paul's vocals were also quite good and for the most part, you could hear what he was singing almost always.

If this show comes to your town, and you like Southern Rock at all, don't miss it!

Mr Peabody
11-16-2009, 03:21 PM
I wish I could have seen that. I didn't realize they had any new music out, was the new songs any good? I would have thought Green Grass might have been the encore and blow the house ddown with it. Ghost Riders probably charted higher though. I like that album quite a bit.