Here we go again.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again....

jrhymeammo
11-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I've just purchased a pair of MMG with modified crossovers from Agon.
They should arrive before my next weekend.

The tweaked Crossovers use Jantzen Crosscaps and 14awg inductors.
I do not have experience with Jantzen products, but from what I've read they seem to perform as good as higher priced alternatives. I don't want to start anything again, but I just hope they'll arive safely and will change my mind about Planar speakers...:hand:

Have Fun,
JRA

Feanor
11-12-2009, 11:48 AM

I do not have experience with Jantzen products, but from what I've read they seem to perform as good as higher priced alternatives. I don't want to start anything again, but I just hope they'll arive safely and will change my mind about Planar speakers...:hand:

Have Fun,
JRA
Enjoy your new MMGs, JRA.

Modding MMGs is pretty common among tweakers. See some mods HERE (http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/tweaks/tazmon/mmg.html).

You can pay insane prices for capactors, BTW. E.g. THESE (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=170&products_id=8378) ClarityCap 12 uF of which a pair of MMGs would require four.

jrhymeammo
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I hope they will allow me to think positively of Magnepan. I just hope they'll arrive safely.
The seller will be sending me the stock components that was removed. It will be interesting to see what they use.

I'm don't have experience with $700 (I think) Audio Note Silver caps, but I'm a believer in quality parts. I had hoped the seller had used more "expensive" caps for my peace of mind, but Jantzen should be far better than whatever Magnepan uses.
I can't really say anything at this point, but I don't have high expectation at the moment. But I do think MMG should suit my room better than 1.6QR. We'll see how they sound.

JRA

jrhymeammo
11-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Question:

Does anybody here place weight on top of their Maggies?

I was thinking about fabricating a pair of metal coupling bar made from 2"x2"x14" steel bar. My current plan is to mill the center of the bar by 1.25" wide and 1.25" deep all the way across.

Or will I be wasting my time?

E-Stat
11-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I think you'll be wasting your time. The ultimate MMGs are "Gunned" using Peter Gunn's (http://www.indiespinzone.com/magnestand) wooden frames. They dissipate the vibration. You might want to spend a bit of time over at the Maggie forum here (http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/bbs.html) researching tweaks. You'll find literally hundreds of posts about MMGs.

rw

jrhymeammo
11-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks E,
Forgotten about that forum.

JRA

Geoffcin
11-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Have Fun,
JRA

Congrats on getting a set of maggies! From your post it looks like you've had a set before?
I hope these work out for you.

JohnMichael
11-13-2009, 07:41 PM
JRA I hope you like them more than you did before.

JoeE SP9
11-13-2009, 08:39 PM
JRA, I hope you you are able to get them to do what they are capable of doing. Obviously they are worth the effort. Otherwise you wouldn't try again. I don't think you would spend the time if you didn't think something good was potentially there.

jrhymeammo
11-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Congrats on getting a set of maggies! From your post it looks like you've had a set before?
I hope these work out for you.

Thanks Geoffcin,

Yes, I used to own a pair of 1.6QR for about a year. I had them paired with BAT-VK3i and HCA-2. I thought they sounded aweful, but I start to think they might had been too large for my room. My livingroom is 16x16 with additional 10 feet of extension behind my listening position.
I had been thinking about getting a pair with modified crossover for a while now, and I was luck enough to find a pair. Hopefully these modified pair will allow me to hear what others are so excited about. They shoulod arrive on Wednesday.

Have Fun,
JRA

jrhymeammo
11-14-2009, 06:24 AM
JRA I hope you like them more than you did before.
JM,

If they are any better than what I had experienced before, I'll be sure to drive them up North with my phono pre. I would like to hear them with your Krell. Since we boh have the same Marantz, it should be a fair comparison. Plus it's about time we got together.

Have Fun,
JRA

JohnMichael
11-14-2009, 06:32 AM
JM,

If they are any better than what I had experienced before, I'll be sure to drive them up North with my phono pre. I would like to hear them with your Krell. Since we boh have the same Marantz, it should be a fair comparison. Plus it's about time we got together.

Have Fun,
JRA

Anytime my friend. Sounds like a good time.

jrhymeammo
11-14-2009, 06:37 AM
JRA, I hope you you are able to get them to do what they are capable of doing. Obviously they are worth the effort. Otherwise you wouldn't try again. I don't think you would spend the time if you didn't think something good was potentially there.

Joe,

The potential was defintely there. I'm hoping these pair will improve the area I wasn't fond of. I'm mainly talking about clarity and natural presence.
I have alot more acoustical treatment all over the room, so my environment is completely different.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/Picture_107.jpghttp://www.gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/Picture_107.jpg

Geoffcin
11-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks Geoffcin,

Yes, I used to own a pair of 1.6QR for about a year. I had them paired with BAT-VK3i and HCA-2. I thought they sounded aweful, but I start to think they might had been too large for my room. My livingroom is 16x16 with additional 10 feet of extension behind my listening position.
I had been thinking about getting a pair with modified crossover for a while now, and I was luck enough to find a pair. Hopefully these modified pair will allow me to hear what others are so excited about. They shoulod arrive on Wednesday.

Have Fun,
JRA

Hope springs eternal!

I would tell you though that when I got my 3.6's I nearly threw out my entire CD collection! What these speakers "unmasked" from the recordings wasn't all that pretty for the most part. Only a few disks sounded good until I got my present CD player, and even then STILL only about 50% of them are good to "tolerable". However some like HDCD encoded ones and the JVC Superdisks are scary good though.

E-Stat
11-14-2009, 07:32 AM
I have a lot more acoustical treatment all over the room, so my environment is completely different.
Ooh, you need to something about all that glass behind them between the sliding doors and pictures! You will get prodigious amounts of delayed reflections that will play havoc with the image. It looks like you have some ficus trees on the other side of the wall. The Maggies need them at the first reflection points.

rw

Geoffcin
11-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Ooh, you need to something about all that glass behind them between the sliding doors and pictures! You will get prodigious amounts of delayed reflections that will play havoc with the image. It looks like you have some ficus trees on the other side of the wall. The Maggies need them at the first reflection points.

rw

Yeah, I just noticed that too.

The planar sound wave would most likely cause the glass sliding doors to not only reflect the sound, but to also resonate in any number of nodes. It would act like an old dual spring reverb, and really muddy up the sound. Perhaps some folding screens in front of the glass doors to break the wave up? I also use pretty thick "thermal" full length drapes across all the glass in my room. Maggies are more tolerent of hard floors and ceilings, but not walls.

jrhymeammo
11-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Well, here is how the room looked with 1.6QR and how my room looks now. I got another large panel 10 feel behind my listening position. I have no idea why my happy dog looks sad. Also, I think I'm the only guy who has a Rabbit Ears.

JoeE SP9
11-14-2009, 10:45 AM
I won't mention all that glass. Everybody else already noted it. I'm just glad to see another pair of rabbit ears. My house has no cable and no satellite dish although there are 3 TV's in use. I use an old Winegard indoor outdoor. It's on a pole next to my bigger TV. The usual comment is, "What's that?". The 2 others have rabbit ears.

audio amateur
11-14-2009, 11:14 AM
What are rabbit ears?

JohnMichael
11-14-2009, 12:07 PM
What are rabbit ears?

The antenna on top of the tv are called rabbit ears. If you live in close proximity to the tv stations it is all you need to receiver the signal. Back in the days when tv was free all you needed was a good antenna. Of course that was when there was only NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS stations in this country.

JohnMichael
11-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Question:

Does anybody here place weight on top of their Maggies?

I was thinking about fabricating a pair of metal coupling bar made from 2"x2"x14" steel bar. My current plan is to mill the center of the bar by 1.25" wide and 1.25" deep all the way across.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/epiphany.php

Try these upgrades from MapleShade.

audio amateur
11-14-2009, 12:30 PM
The antenna on top of the tv are called rabbit ears. If you live in close proximity to the tv stations it is all you need to receiver the signal. Back in the days when tv was free all you needed was a good antenna. Of course that was when there was only NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS stations in this country.
I had never heard that before

jrhymeammo
11-14-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/epiphany.php

Try these upgrades from MapleShade.

Holy S*** they are expensive. They are priced twice of what Mye stands cost.
If the MMG are work keeping, I may get the Sand Anchor stands.

Thanks for the suggestion John, but I'm definetly not made of money..... I'm just broke.:biggrin5:

Have Fun,
JRA

JohnMichael
11-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Holy S*** they are expensive. They are priced twice of what Mye stands cost.
If the MMG are work keeping, I may get the Sand Anchor stands.

Thanks for the suggestion John, but I'm definetly not made of money..... I'm just broke.:biggrin5:

Have Fun,
JRA

I get a kick out of tweaks that are more costly than the product they are supposed to help. I thought that one might give you a chuckle.

blackraven
11-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Jr, what was it that you didn't like about the 1.6's? What Geoffcin said about Maggies needing well recorded music is very true. Maggie's are very revealing and lot of music sounds terrible. I hope that your MMG's fair better in your room.

I have a lot of music that I won't play on my main system and will only play it on my little Monitor Audio's.

jrhymeammo
11-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Well that very same reason, I won't be selling my Tyler Acoustics. They just didn't sound natural to my ears, but as you can see I didn't have much of acoustical treatment to speak of. Handful of small ensemble (classical) sounded INCREDIBLE, but others were dreadful.
Just like real life I gotta try everything at least twice, just to make sure the first time wasn't my fault.

Have Fun,
JRA

JoeE SP9
11-15-2009, 10:35 AM

TV is still free. JRA and I are certain of it. That's why we have "rabbit ears". I can receive 11 stations off the air. If I count the extras such as the three the local NBC affiliate has the total rises to around 30.

jrhymeammo
11-15-2009, 01:01 PM
TV is still free. JRA and I are certain of it. That's why we have "rabbit ears". I can receive 11 stations off the air. If I count the extras such as the three the local NBC affiliate has the total rises to around 30.

Nice to know there are still others who keepz it realz.....:3:
Honestly, I'm just broke and prefer to spend my disposable income on music and gear. $60+/month on useless programs?:out:
But I do wish I had the Discovery, TV Land, CNN, FX, and Speed channels. I wouldn't pay more than $20 a month though...

JoeE SP9
11-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Just Speed and Discovery would work for me. I've got CNN breaking news on my PC.

jrhymeammo
11-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I received the pair today and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like FedEx struck again. One of the speaker is damaged.
Replaced inductor had came off and mylar makes annoying buzz.

One question. Is it the shipper responsibility to make a claim to the carrier, or do I make a claim? I had sold a perfectly functional Denon and it was damaged during the shipment. Buyer is now working on the claim with the carrier. Do I handle this?

It's really too bad because the seller had packed it really well...

JRA

jrhymeammo
04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Holy cow, I guess I did keep them for more than a year.
At a certain range of frequency, the mylar would rattle but the crack didn't affect the sound 95% of the time. About 2 weeks ago, I've sold the pair to a local guy with home audition. I sold them for $100 at his risk.

What's crazy is that I miss the hell out of them.
I can't imagine listening to them with stock crossover components, but I love the effortless sound when not pushed too hard.
My Hawthornes have great boxless sound with wide sweet-spot, but they can't compete with MMGs transparency. The Tyler Acoustics produces detailed yet full tranquil sound.

Boxless sound with tranquil wide dispersion sound.
What should I get next to satisfy my needs?
Martin Logan or Sound Lab?