Question about Braun LV720 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Braun LV720 speakers

urabus99
11-12-2009, 09:04 AM
I am considering purchasing a set of LV720 Braun tri-amplified speakers from Germany. The speakers are 220 volts and I am in the US, which uses 110 volts. I know that there are converters, but I don't know if they will effect the sound quality. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !

E-Stat
11-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I am considering purchasing a set of LV720 Braun tri-amplified speakers from Germany. The speakers are 220 volts and I am in the US, which uses 110 volts. I know that there are converters, but I don't know if they will effect the sound quality. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !
So long as the converter can handle the 210 watt draw from each one, it should work fine. You can always have an electrician tie two 110 legs together to provide a 220 line. That is what you do for appliances like dryers and electric stoves.

I had a pair of Braun LV-1020s back in the 70s. Instead of dual 7" woofers, it had a single 12" unit. I wasn't aware they made the variation you are considering. Here's (http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1015) a link I found about them. While it's in German, you can certainly make out many technical details. You should enjoy them!

rw

urabus99
11-12-2009, 04:14 PM
I also had a set of LV1020's in the late 70's, and I may very well have my hands on a set soon. If that falls thru, I am considering the LV720's. I didn't know that Braun made them untill recently. They were never marketed in the US by ADS. I was told the only difference is in the bass.

E-Stat
11-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I was told the only difference is in the bass.
There is a slightly disadvantageous mounting of the drivers. Whereas the 1020s had the drivers mounted in a vertical array, the 720s have the mid and tweeter side-by-side. That will have a certain effect on imaging. Unless of course you mount them sideways.

rw