Satin 117G Cartridge [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Satin 117G Cartridge

urabus99
11-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I have a 30 year old Satin 117G moving coil cartridge that needs a replacement stylus. The stylus is available for about $100.00. I am wondering if after 30 years, does the moving coil cartridge deteriorate? I have not used it since then. Thanks !

JohnMichael
11-12-2009, 09:35 AM
I have a 30 year old Satin 117G moving coil cartridge that needs a replacement stylus. The stylus is available for about $100.00. I am wondering if after 30 years, does the moving coil cartridge deteriorate? I have not used it since then. Thanks !

It has been a long time since I have heard of Satin cartridges. I think Satin made the only MC cartridge with replaceable stylus. I would think a new stylus assembly would be worth a try. The only problems I can think of would be if the magnet had lost strength or the coils are heavily magnetized. I would think the new stylus assembly would have a new suspension system that would be my other concern for a cartridge of that age. I remember the University of Dayton's radio station used the Satin cartridges because the DJ's could do a quick stylus change if needed. Wow 30 year old cartridge that makes me older.

urabus99
11-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for getting back to me. I guess the only way I will find out if the cartridge works, is to buy the stylus. It may very well be worth a try, it is a high output, which doesn't require a step up transformer. Again Thanks !!

poppachubby
11-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Dude, absolutely not! If the coils are shot, which is highly possible, you will have literally burned that money. Put the cash into a new cartridge.

I just had a friend in this EXACT same situation with a vintage cart. It was 250 for a new stylus or 350 for a new cart. He thought he'd save a buck and it turned out the cart had issues. Left channel coil was pooched.

Just a heads up to be careful, if you're not 100% sure of the condition of the cart, why take the chance?

poppachubby
11-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow 30 year old cartridge that makes me older.

Unlike the questionable cartridge, you have aged quite nicely my good man...