Oppo releases BDP-83-SE "Special Edition" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oppo releases BDP-83-SE "Special Edition"

Worf101
11-12-2009, 07:08 AM
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/

According to this, you get an Oppo BDP-83 with "upgraded" audio features like a separate amp, and other goodies, specifically aimed at audiophiles. One of you will have to tell me if these enhancements are worth an extra $300 beans.

Da Worfster

blackraven
11-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I would love to see a serious review on this. It might be worth looking into for me because I would like to have a great BR and SACD player.

harley .guy07
11-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I would not mind seeing the difference between this unit and the standard unit running through a outboard dac of a midrange price and see how the oppo all in one audiophile unit stacks up.

kelsci
11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
I must commend Oppo's special edition advertisment for this machine. They recommend it only if you use the stereo or 7.1 analogue outputs. These are the items that have been upgraded on this machine. If you are not using these items, it does not pay to spend the money on this upgraded machine. Oppo clearly states the intended use for this machine.

harley .guy07
11-15-2009, 03:29 PM
thats pretty rare in todays world, to see a company actually telling people to save their money and buy the normal version if you are using the digital outputs instead of telling anyone to buy the upgraded unit just to make extra money off of people. This gives me more respect for OPPO as a company and tells me that they are even more of a unit to look at for future use.

rob_a
11-17-2009, 12:46 PM
This unit looks like a nice step up for the audiophile guys. Even at $800 (or whatever it's going for) it still gives the Big Boys (Marantz, Denon, Lexicon) and who ever else is making a universal Blu-Ray player a run for their money. If I wasn't covered already for each of the these formats, I would seriously consider this player.

nightflier
11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Actually, if you already have the regular BDP-83, you can upgrade that to the "se" version for $299, so I don't really understand why they're selling the BDP-83se for $100 more.

frenchmon
11-20-2009, 06:56 PM
I was talking to a local salesman for NuForce and there is also a BDP-83Se "Nuforce Edition" which is an upgrade to the BDP-83SE.

frenchmon

nightflier
12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I just put myself in the queue for the bdp-83se Nuforce Edition. I received my bdp-83 back from Oppo and it works fine, but I want to hear what Nuforce can do with it. The standard bdp-83 is good, but not as resolving on 2-channel RBCD as I had expected and also doesn't really offer much over my 5-year old SACD player - it doesn't sound worse, but it also doesn't sound better and that's been a bit of a dissapointment. I love the versatility (especially that it plays DVD-A, something nobody seems to do anymore), but I had expected more.

By the way, the first unit I ordered from Oppo was DOA. They replaced it right away, but I haven't had a lot of time to do a lot of A/B testing yet, but so far, I haven't been overly impressed by the sound performance. Video performance has been stellar, however, and while I was on the fence about BR for a long time, I have to say it looks better than anything I've ever seen - almost makes me wish I had a larger/better TV (yes this hobby is putting a real dent in my wallet, lol).

frenchmon
12-03-2009, 07:38 PM
I just put myself in the queue for the bdp-83se Nuforce Edition. I received my bdp-83 back from Oppo and it works fine, but I want to hear what Nuforce can do with it. The standard bdp-83 is good, but not as resolving on 2-channel RBCD as I had expected and also doesn't really offer much over my 5-year old SACD player - it doesn't sound worse, but it also doesn't sound better and that's been a bit of a dissapointment. I love the versatility (especially that it plays DVD-A, something nobody seems to do anymore), but I had expected more.

By the way, the first unit I ordered from Oppo was DOA. They replaced it right away, but I haven't had a lot of time to do a lot of A/B testing yet, but so far, I haven't been overly impressed by the sound performance. Video performance has been stellar, however, and while I was on the fence about BR for a long time, I have to say it looks better than anything I've ever seen - almost makes me wish I had a larger/better TV (yes this hobby is putting a real dent in my wallet, lol).

Wow...Nuforce puts out good amps. Cant wait for your review on the NF edition Oppo.

frenchmon

Worf101
12-04-2009, 05:27 AM

I can respect your opinion, particularly in that it's being based on actual experience with the unit (this is a compliment NOT a dig don't shoot!). I'm sorry your first unit was DOA but I'm glad you've found the video as amazing as I have. Actually, although BR is nice, I find the up-conversion on this unit to be even more spectacular. As for the sound reproduction I'll have to leave that up to you and other music experten. I do love Dolby Trumaster though, sounds like butter.

Worf

nightflier
12-04-2009, 03:09 PM
I just got word that I can purchase the Nuforce unit and that it will ship out on Dec.14. Cutting it kinda close for x-mas, but I think I'm going to take the plunge. I've read on a couple of forums that the Nuforce edition is quite good, rivals many of the other modded Oppos and is noticeably better than the BDP-83se. I won't have the latter on hand (can't afford 3 of these!), so if anyone else has some input on that model, I'd love to read about it here.

I was originally going to use a mid-level DAC (Benchmark, Bryston or Bel Canto - hmmm, they all start with the letter "B"...) and use that with my standard BDP-83, but the drawback there is that it would only have been 2-channels and would leave MC SACD/DVD-A out. On the plus side, it would likely include a headphone amp, something I've been needing for late night movie-watching, but a second-hand x-can or creek unit would solve that problem.

My real search all along has been to find a worthy upgrade to my aging Sony DVD/SACD player. I considered other brands like Marantz, but there were too many drawbacks. When Oppo started shipping the BDP-83, I thought it was going to be the end of my search, but after some back & forth with the Sony over the last couple of weeks, it became clear that either that player wasn't all that bad (it has already surprised me on a number of occasions) or the Oppo wasn't all that good. I don't have a definite answer to that question yet, but I intend to find out.

What really intrigues me is what the upgrades will do for MC SACD/DVD-A. I've read that the Nuforce unit is comparable to $2-3K SACD players out there, and can hold it's own against the new Denon on sound (not video, though). If that's true, then for $1300, that's a pretty good deal. Yes, it's 6 times as much as a standard player, and that's not something I consider lightly, but considering I was about to plop down $2K for a dedicated player and/or DAC, I'm willing to take the chance.

Ahem, if it does ship on Dec. 14th, and arrive just before x-mas, then it may take me a little while to report back on what I hear....

nightflier
12-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, I can't say anything about the player yet (because it hasn't arrived), but I will say that NuForce's customer service department has been frustratingly inconsistent. First I'm told it will ship on the 14th, then the 18th, then last Friday they promised me the 21st. Today I called and they sent me a new tracking number - shipping date: 22nd. OK, sure, I'll believe that when FedEx actually has it in hand. It should be a sad omen when a customer has more faith in a shipper than a manufacturer.

So I sure hope this is one kick-a$$ player, because my patience is wearing thin. I mean I understand everybody's busy and it's the holidays, but I also expect honesty - NuForce doesn't seem to think that's as important. One of my friends ordered the Oppo SE on the 18th, and he's already enjoying it. If this takes any longer, I'll have to revise my signature again.

Worf101
12-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Well, I can't say anything about the player yet (because it hasn't arrived), but I will say that NuForce's customer service department has been frustratingly inconsistent. First I'm told it will ship on the 14th, then the 18th, then last Friday they promised me the 21st. Today I called and they sent me a new tracking number - shipping date: 22nd. OK, sure, I'll believe that when FedEx actually has it in hand. It should be a sad omen when a customer has more faith in a shipper than a manufacturer.

So I sure hope this is one kick-a$$ player, because my patience is wearing thin. I mean I understand everybody's busy and it's the holidays, but I also expect honesty - NuForce doesn't seem to think that's as important. One of my friends ordered the Oppo SE on the 18th, and he's already enjoying it. If this takes any longer, I'll have to revise my signature again.
I know the feeling. There's nothing worse than waiting for gear or deilveries. I'm glad it's NuForce and not OPPO that's giving you the run around. I've talked Oppo up pretty good and I'd like to know my opinion's not been mistaken and that they're still taking care of customers.

Here's hoping you get your gear in one piece and working just right.

Worf

nightflier
01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Well I got the player delivered at 10am on the 24th, so I have to hand it to FedEx for delivering it in two days, and right before x-mas too. Anyhow, I plugged it in the same day and gave it a quick listen. It sounded very good. Then I let it run an SACD in MC mode for the next two days to "burn in." I don't believe much in the whole burn-in stuff, but I wasn't going to be home, so there was no reason not to do it. When I got back, I did some more a/b testing, MC only, and was even more impressed. I posted a review here:

Oppo BDP-83se NuForce Edition Review (http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/nuforce/hd-dvd-blu-ray/oppo-bdp-83se-nuforce-edition/PRD_449281_6445crx.aspx),

but will probably follow it up when I get a chance to test it on my 2-channel system.

blackraven
01-05-2010, 01:19 AM
I was just at my friends house tonight drinking and listening to music and he pulled out the October issue of Stereophile magazine and it had the regular Oppo BD-83 rated as a Stereophile Class A+ for CD/SACD. They rated the analog play Class A and the digital HDMI as A+ beating out players costing 7 times as much. It doesnt get any better than that! I would like to see what they think of the SE version! Its no wonder that companies like Ayre are taking the SE and rebadging it and selling it for $10K.

Congrats on the player Nightflier. I can't wait for the review!

nightflier
01-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Just FYI, Ayre's version is a bit more than a rebadge, and it's supposed to sound even better than my NuForce edition. Of course, it costs a wallop more. We all have to draw the line somewhere that we are comfortable with and I couldn't see going much over $1.5K; anything more would make separate players a better option, IMO.

P.S. Click on the link above for my review.

philhh
01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
I've just recently received the Oppo BDP-83SE from Oppo, and I'm still in burn-in mode. I replaced a beloved Meridian 508.20 CD player with the Oppo in order to get SACD and BluRay functionality without adding "another box" as a concession to my wife.

So far the Oppo definitely shows more resolution on standard RedBook playback. I'm noticing a tighter bottom end (hey we could all use that! lol) and a little more detail in the highs.

What I'm still determining however, is the soundstage. I believe Meridian may be the winner in this one with a slightly wider and deeper soundstage, but I'm going to give the Oppo more time to acclimate and burn in before making any final determination.

Of course in the meantime I've been reading about the NAD C 565BEE which seems to be delivering rave reviews for a very modest price... it would be interesting to compare this to the Oppo as well.

nightflier
01-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I am currently comparing the Oppo BDB-83se NuForce Edition player in my 2-channel system against:

- Oppo BDP-83
- Sony DVP-NS755v DVD & SACD
- Onkyo DV-CP702 DVD changer run through an Arcam BlackBox DAC

And the Oppo/NuForce is consistently better than all of these. The Sony comes the closest, but it's still noticeably less detailed, less open, less weighty, and less large. The sound stage on the Oppo/NuForce is also remarkably wide and airy, with more depth, more ambience, and more power to it. I know it goes against everything I've read, but as a 2-channel only player, I think it can still outperform any dedicated $1000-ish dedicated player from any maker. I don't currently have such a player, but from memory, I have to say it is the finest sounding RBCD player I've yet had in my home. If you add to that everything else it does, I don't think any universal player even close to twice it price compares.