What does it really mean? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What does it really mean?

atomicAdam
11-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I'd like to start a thread were we can post up section, passages, sentence, from a review that boggle the mind.

I don't mean defining terms. Though that would seem to be worth discussing as well, but I really mean when a reviewer writes something and you just have to say to yourself, WTF does that mean anyways?

I making a packed with myself to review one component review a night except on the weekends, and I'd like a space were I can post up bat****crazythings I come across. Or just stuff that makes my mind wonder.

atomicAdam
11-11-2009, 09:50 PM
From 6moons KingRex T20 review (reading it because KingRex is sending me their new headphone amp to review) link: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kingrex/t20.html

"
However, this valve bloom syndrome was not masking any instrumental definition or placement but rather, romancing them in a melopoeic way. The metallic sheen of the brass and cymbal in Mahler, for instance, was now seen through a polarizing filter.
"

What the hell does 'romancing them in a melopoeic way" mean? Is he trying to say that valve bloom (or thickening of the lower mid-range/upper-low-range) romances the instruments in a melodic way? How the heck can that be done.

And the next one, "was now seen through a polarizing filter". What, so the brass and cymbals were now polarized? How can you polarize bass and cymbals? Does he mean there was clearer definition between the two?

These two sentence make my head hurt! Help.

Geoffcin
11-11-2009, 10:38 PM
From 6moons KingRex T20 review (reading it because KingRex is sending me their new headphone amp to review) link: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kingrex/t20.html

"
However, this valve bloom syndrome was not masking any instrumental definition or placement but rather, romancing them in a melopoeic way. The metallic sheen of the brass and cymbal in Mahler, for instance, was now seen through a polarizing filter.
"

What the hell does 'romancing them in a melopoeic way" mean? Is he trying to say that valve bloom (or thickening of the lower mid-range/upper-low-range) romances the instruments in a melodic way? How the heck can that be done.

And the next one, "was now seen through a polarizing filter". What, so the brass and cymbals were now polarized? How can you polarize bass and cymbals? Does he mean there was clearer definition between the two?

These two sentence make my head hurt! Help.

It really means that the reviewer is a wanker of the first water. Just glancing at the review made my head hurt, you actually READ the whole piece of waffle?!

Ajani
11-11-2009, 11:13 PM
There are reviewers who aim to give us insight into how a particular product sounds... and there are others who baffle us with 'gratuitous verbiage', metaphors, symbolism and other BS.... I tend to ignore reviews from the latter set...

IMO, reviews should be clear and informative... If I can't tell whether the reviewer actually likes/recommends the product, then the review is lacking... If I can't discern the essential sonic characteristics of the product, then the review is lacking...

kexodusc
11-12-2009, 04:45 AM
Subscribed!

audio amateur
11-12-2009, 05:16 AM
It really means that the reviewer is a wanker of the first water. Just glancing at the review made my head hurt, you actually READ the whole piece of waffle?!
A big LOL!

poppachubby
11-12-2009, 05:27 AM
Nice idea Adam, this thread will be full of posts in no time.

atomicAdam
11-12-2009, 07:13 AM
I did read the whole review. The T20 amp sounds like it would be nice, and pair well it AVA SS gear. A warm SS with the ability to handle complex and layered music but needs efficient speakers due to finicky/low power issues to keep the signal to noise ration down.

atomicAdam
11-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Nice idea Adam, this thread will be full of posts in no time.

hey don't forget rep points!

poppachubby
11-12-2009, 07:37 AM
hey don't forget rep points!

Can't, already gave you some. You're the admin, just give them to yourself and put my name on it.

Geoffcin
11-12-2009, 08:46 AM
I did read the whole review. The T20 amp sounds like it would be nice, and pair well it AVA SS gear. A warm SS with the ability to handle complex and layered music but needs efficient speakers due to finicky/low power issues to keep the signal to noise ration down.

The amp sounds like the bomb, it's the overly verbose review that makes me ill.

FWIW; I even HAVE a battery powered T-amp! I gotta see if I still have the pic of it driving the big maggies. Totally histerical looking, but darn if it didn't work! (not loud thank you)

atomicAdam
11-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Here is a new one -

From the KingRex T20 a SLAP battery power supply -
Now with link (http://6moons.com/audioreviews/kingrex4/slap_2.html)

"
The T20U is like the two-headed Janus. Change power supplies, it's the same thing still but with an entirely different perspective on the world. The relaxation and ease evident with the SLAP in place feeds the fishes with the adapter on duty.
"

Ok, seriously, WTF does this mean? "Feeds the fishes" What?

Geoffcin
11-13-2009, 04:23 AM
Here is a new one -

"
The relaxation and ease evident with the SLAP in place feeds the fishes with the adapter on duty.
"

Ok, seriously, WTF does this mean? "Feeds the fishes" What?

Bada-Bing!

"Yo, anyone see Joey lately?" "Joey?, yeah he's swimmin with the fishies"

I think this is a clear case of the reviewer being "all wet"

audio amateur
11-13-2009, 05:27 AM
I think this is a clear case of the reviewer being "all wet"
What the heck does THAT mean?

Geoffcin
11-13-2009, 06:39 AM

It is a derogatory term meaning that the person "doesn't know what he's talking about" or is "all wrong"

I'm not impying that the review is wrong, only the reviewers use of vernacular.

audio amateur
11-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Cool, I learn new things everyday on this forum:-)

atomicAdam
11-13-2009, 07:47 AM
the reviewers in this case are Dutch. So there could be some language issues, but the rest of the review was fairly clear.

But in this case they are trying to describe the T20 with a different power source. I believe one to be just the wall and the other to be the SLAP battery. Rather an important distinction which would lead to some rather different sound. Unfortunately from the review I have no idea what the difference is.

atomicAdam
11-13-2009, 07:48 AM

I think he is trying to make a water pun. Not too bad actually, but I haven't had my coffee yet and for some reason my left side of my jaw hurts where it connects under my ear and my hands are pretty beat up from practicing lead rope climbing yesterday, so I didn't lol.

Geoffcin
11-13-2009, 09:01 AM
the reviewers in this case are Dutch. So there could be some language issues, but the rest of the review was fairly clear.

But in this case they are trying to describe the T20 with a different power source. I believe one to be just the wall and the other to be the SLAP battery. Rather an important distinction which would lead to some rather different sound. Unfortunately from the review I have no idea what the difference is.

Dutch?! Like Goldmember?

I think what they are trying to say is the the battery power supply makes you want to "feed the fishes" with the AC supply. (ie throw it away) Bada-Bing!

atomicAdam
11-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Dutch?! Like Goldmember?

I think what they are trying to say is the the battery power supply makes you want to "feed the fishes" with the AC supply. (ie throw it away) Bada-Bing!

Yes, like Goldmember -

Well, that surely isn't a positive review of the SLAP battery supply. If that is what they mean.

Geoffcin
11-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes, like Goldmember -

Well, that surely isn't a positive review of the SLAP battery supply. If that is what they mean.

I think it's a VERY positive review of the SLAP, as by using it, you want ot toss the old AC cord PS into the nearest body of water with hungry fish. (do fish really find power cords tasty?)

atomicAdam
11-13-2009, 09:46 AM
I think it's a VERY positive review of the SLAP, as by using it, you want ot toss the old AC cord PS into the nearest body of water with hungry fish. (do fish really find power cords tasty?)

Ah, yes after reading it again (and having had my coffee) I agree with you. It seems these crazy Dutch want to feed the fishes the "adapter on duty".

From all I've heard about battery powered it did seem odd to me that it wouldn't sound better than the AC line.

Geoffcin
11-13-2009, 09:56 AM
I can tell you from my brief time with a T-amp that when battery powered it's about as dead quite as any amp I've ever heard. Also a 4ohm load didn't phase it, although it ran out of juice pretty fast when hooked up to the maggies. I also drove a set of Cambridge Soundworks S300's (my computer speakers at the time) with it to an amazingly high volume. Sounded great too!

I had intended it to power a "take-anywhere" audiophile system but it never panned out. Not because it didn't sound good, but because when your out your (or I am) never able to set aside time for high-end audio pursuits. Come to think of it where is the darn thing now?!.

audio amateur
11-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Dutch?! Like Goldmember?

Yesh yesh shalty yesh!

hydroman
12-04-2009, 01:15 PM
After living twee (two) years in Netherlands - no that is not a expression!

Hafverdamma!

atomicAdam
12-05-2009, 08:13 AM
After living twee (two) years in Netherlands - no that is not a expression!

Hafverdamma!

So guess it is just bad writing.

Who else reads 6moons here? Bad writing all around on that site?

Geoffcin
12-05-2009, 10:06 AM
So guess it is just bad writing.

Who else reads 6moons here? Bad writing all around on that site?

Just a guess, but the "feed the fishes" line is probably the Dutch reviewer trying to get a "Soprano" style line into the review as a nod toward American culture. It obviously failed, as Americans are having a hard time to understand what he's talking about.

I've read some reviews at Six Moons. They have a diverse group of reviewers over there so I think any blanket statement about the quality of reviews is going to be wrong. It's hard to say there's one reviewer that I really like though.