Music in the movies [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music in the movies

Gresh
03-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Have you ever heard a song, whether one your familiar with or one that's new to you, in a movie that just blew you away?

I just saw two movies - Lost In Translation (incredible movie BTW) and the used the Jesus and Mary Chain's "Just Like Honey" and it was downright chilling. I'm a longtime JAMC fan but I will never listen to that song the same way. The movie also has some new Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine) and Air tunes that really fit (or maybe set) the atmosphere of the movie.

Also saw American Splendor (Great acting/OK movie) and the used "Bonzo Goes To Bitburg" from the Ramones and it brought a smile to my face. I'm a long time Ramones fan and I remember when that song first came out I thought it really brought them to a new level of maturity - The song actually made me proud of Joey and the boys...if anyone recalls the whole Reagan/Bitburg debacle.

MindGoneHaywire
03-26-2004, 08:43 AM
If I remember correctly, 'School of Rock' used 'Bonzo' also...and to that point in the movie it was the only song they'd let play all the way through, or most of the way through. BTW I have to recommend that movie, good for kiddies & dumb enough to make us non-kiddies groan but plenty of laffs, mostly due to the exaggerated comic stylings of Jack Black.

newtrix1
03-26-2004, 09:38 AM
If I remember correctly, 'School of Rock' used 'Bonzo' also...and to that point in the movie it was the only song they'd let play all the way through, or most of the way through. BTW I have to recommend that movie, good for kiddies & dumb enough to make us non-kiddies groan but plenty of laffs, mostly due to the exaggerated comic stylings of Jack Black.

Like you say, Jack Black makes the movie. Lots of good chuckles, like when he's trying to explain to the kids that rock music is all about "Sticking it to the man".
They selected some great classic rock tracks too.

Dusty Chalk
03-26-2004, 10:35 AM
I really liked the music in the preview for Kill Bill, whatever that is (I have it on one of my older DVD's, before it was split into two movies). It was perfect -- a blend of old time rock'n'roll and techno.

I also liked the preview music for Legends of a Fall, but it wasn't on a soundtrack. It was some classical stuff, very much like Carmina Burana -- choral, bombastic -- but it wasn't Carmina Burana itself.

paper warrior
03-29-2004, 11:03 AM
I couldnt't figure out why they played a turgid lump like Knockin' On Heaven's Door on the radio 30 years ago- must be to break up the Eagles material. But then when you hear it in the context of that Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid Movie it hits you like a load of bricks. Don't know how else to describe it except appaently few had mortality questioning epiphanies like Dylan during the 1970's.

dld
03-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Wow, I vaguely, vaguely, remember Knockin On Heaven's Door in a Western. Man, my mind is a bit cloudy on this one. I remember a cowpoke dying and it playing. Was Dylan playing the part? Geeeezzzzzz. Way too long ago.

Also, Zevon did a nice reading of this song on his latest/last.

paper warrior
03-30-2004, 02:30 AM
I'm pretty vague about Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid too though obviously I remember that part. I think it was Slim Pickens who was the dying cowboy not too sure though it did enhance Dylan's brief acting resume. Directed by Sam Peckinpah master of the neo-western,