Yesterday V Today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday V Today

AAFDirector
11-11-2009, 09:33 AM
GHoliday greetings to all my audio/video phile pals on here (smile). I must say that I miss the days of the clean sound stages with tube amps and solid floor standing speakers. Solid amps. I miss reading the pages of Stereo review. BUT it's so fantastic to see all the wonderful vintage audio pictures and stories here. I miss the days of Leave It To Beaver (smile). I'm NOT trying to recapture those days by colecting all the audio/video I can from the 70,80 and 90s

Peace to ALL my philes pals.

Bill

poppachubby
11-11-2009, 09:42 AM
GHoliday greetings to all my audio/video phile pals on here (smile). I must say that I miss the days of the clean sound stages with tube amps and solid floor standing speakers. Solid amps. I miss reading the pages of Stereo review. BUT it's so fantastic to see all the wonderful vintage audio pictures and stories here. I miss the days of Leave It To Beaver (smile). I'm NOT trying to recapture those days by colecting all the audio/video I can from the 70,80 and 90s

Bill

There is plenty of current gear that would meet your expectations. No need to remenisce... www.stereophile.com

Geoffcin
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Bill

Welcome to the AudioReview.com forums!

Yes, a lot of us have fond memories of vintage gear. I would say that a lot of the members with multiple systems have a vintage system too.

E-Stat
11-11-2009, 12:34 PM
GHoliday greetings to all my audio/video phile pals on here (smile). I must say that I miss the days of the clean sound stages with tube amps and solid floor standing speakers.
They're still very much here. You'll find an even wider range of exceptional tube amps today than before.

Welcome, Bill.

rw

JoeE SP9
11-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Vintage, you say. I'm vintage myself. Most of my gear could be considered vintage. Personally I don't care if something is new or vintage. If I like it and it does what it's supposed to do that's the only thing that matters.

Welcome to AR.

rob_a
11-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Most agree that Home Theater equipment is the new big thing, so “old” HT equipment gets replaced quicker, to bring in the “new” (not to say that that’s what everyone is doing, I know some AR members are still rocking there 15 year old surround receivers.)I have found myself upgrading to the newer HT set ups in recent years. But pure audio playback is a wide open door! If it sounds good, play it loud!!! New or old, that’s the great thing about pure audio systems, low tech or out dated systems can still sound good or better then newer high tech systems on the market today. So don't let all your past memories leave you, keep listening and loving :3:

poppachubby
11-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Well director I hope my first post didn't seem unfriendly. I will go with the flow and say welcome. I just detected a bit of dissapointment in the tone of your post. I too am a vintage type, however, if you enjoy reading and super tough gear, it's still out there.

Problem nowadays is hi-fi is something that has to really be sought out. So much junk everywhere, this is vintage's biggest attraction for me, it's existence alone says it all.

Auricauricle
11-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Before we get into this pool, can anybody tell me just what "vintage" means? Increasingly, I see equipment that was manufactured even ten years ago described as vintage....What does that make me? An antique? (Cut out the snickering, you fiends!)