DropBox [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DropBox

poppachubby
11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Everyone!

I've just signed up with DropBox. It's a service designed to work with your email for file back up and sharing. A 2G account is free. I am going to use this service as a means to share music with friends. I just put together a deadly file of rare ska for "nobody", the AR music poster. Hopefully he signs up to DropBox and I can use this service to get the files to him. Much easier than creating a bit torrent.

Basically, you have a personal file for storage and a public file for sharing. You can include pics, music, whatever.

I thought this might be a cool idea for the Rave Recs bunch and any at AR who are interested in sharing music. Kind of in its infancy, haven't given it much thought, but any input would be great, could be fun...

Finch Platte
11-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Hmmmmmmmm. Dunno about this yet.

poppachubby
11-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Hmmmmmmmm. Dunno about this yet.

Dunno about what? I'm not spamming if that's what you're getting at.

Take the 2112 thread. Auric wants a Rush album. Bam!! Dropbox

You just ripped a wicked new album that you're stoked about. Bam! Dropbox

Rare vinyl or bootleg albums to share. Bam! Dropbox

Seems like a hands on way to enjoy each others tastes. As far as "stealing" and the like, we all buy our music when we like it. No different than a mixed tape or recording to lend.

Finch Platte
11-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Dunno about what? I'm not spamming if that's what you're getting at.

Take the 2112 thread. Auric wants a Rush album. Bam!! Dropbox

You just ripped a wicked new album that you're stoked about. Bam! Dropbox

Rare vinyl or bootleg albums to share. Bam! Dropbox

Seems like a hands on way to enjoy each others tastes. As far as "stealing" and the like, we all buy our music when we like it. No different than a mixed tape or recording to lend.

Nah, it's not that- I was just getting a little frustrated setting it up. It wouldn't let me share a folder that was in the public folder.

So I've got a King Kahn folder in there now- do I have to have your email addy to send it to you, or can you just get it somehow?

poppachubby
11-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Nah, it's not that- I was just getting a little frustrated setting it up. It wouldn't let me share a folder that was in the public folder.

So I've got a King Kahn folder in there now- do I have to have your email addy to send it to you, or can you just get it somehow?

Ahhhhhh, I see. Not too sure on the details yet myself Finch. Only just signed up this morn. I am waiting for "nobody" to get back to me and sign up. I'm at work right now and I will be here late. Either late tonight or eartly morn I'll muck with it.

What doi you think of the concept? Good no? I mean in terms of AR and such.

Troy
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
What doi you think of the concept? Good no? I mean in terms of AR and such.

Isn't it illegal? Won't AR be responsible if the RIAA nazis get wind of it?

poppachubby
11-10-2009, 06:03 PM

Ya I suppose it would be. I don't know really. I'm in Canada so I'm home free. Dropbox is not P2P, don't know where it would fall.

ForeverAutumn
11-10-2009, 07:08 PM

How is it any different than You Send It or any of the other sites where you can store a large files and send a link to access it?

poppachubby
11-10-2009, 07:23 PM
How is it any different than You Send It or any of the other sites where you can store a large files and send a link to access it?

Right, so what do you think FA, start up a Dropbox party?

poppachubby
11-11-2009, 03:22 AM

Finch, I've got it set up and it's quite cool. You must have the Dropbox app running in order for it to index files to the folders. Go to your start menu, find Dropbox and open it. Once started, you should see an icon in your lower toolbar. Drag and drop the folder/file of your choice to the public folder. Right click on it, find the Dropbox option and share.

My buddy and I created specific folders for each other. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if one of us created a folder named AR, each person who joins could subsequently have access granted. We could all be using the same folder. I have to experiment some more.

Keep tinkering with it. If you like PM me your addy and we can experiment a bit. I'm quite impressed thus far, very cool tool. Don't forget, accessible from any comp with an internet connection. So load your files at home, access them at work, etc.

Lot's of possibilities, at least for my world. I still think we could have fun with this thing. Once everyone who wishes to join is online with it, we wouldn't need to discuss much at AR. It would be just known to check the AR folder. That should take the edge off the legality's, if there are any.

poppachubby
11-11-2009, 03:27 AM
OK yep, that's how we would do it. Someone would start a shared folder and we would all have access. The original creator just adds people by email addy and away you go, a network.

Geoffcin
11-11-2009, 04:47 AM
OK, I've been asked to conmmet on this idea.... Ouch!

I hate to say it but there's liablity issues if you set up a private folder at Drop Box, and then advertise on AR that you are trading copywrited material there. It's like your starting your own Napster.

I'm not going to lock the thread, although I can't say what A.Atom or another mod might do, but I really think you should consider using a different way to announce your intentions to your buddies.

poppachubby
11-11-2009, 05:36 AM
Ya, I didn't put much thought into it Geoff. It was an idea that seemed good but clearly has issues. Oh well, thanks for reviewing it...........

Geoffcin
11-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Sorry, wish I could have responded differently.

Finch Platte
11-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Poop.

Troy
11-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm in Canada so I'm home free.

Why does it say you're in London? Ontario? I just figured you was in the UK.

So use it and communicate via PM, then the site isn't liable.

poppachubby
11-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Why does it say you're in London? Ontario? I just figured you was in the UK.

So use it and communicate via PM, then the site isn't liable.

Theoretically that is a good idea, in theory...