Sound problem with Sony STR-DE495 receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sound problem with Sony STR-DE495 receiver

Boulder08
11-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi all,

I recently plugged my Sony STR-DE495 in after a year of full rest. Now it seems that there is something wrong - when I use the test tone to setup the volume levels, the test tone either is not audible for some speakers or very quiet. After a while, the audio levels seem to reach a normal level. Still, if I turn the receiver off and immediately back on, the same issue occurs. I also noticed that the center speaker starts working when I tap the receiver case slightly (it seems that the FR and FL speakers work correctly from the start).

Could it be that there is just dirt in the connectors or should I open the case and see if there's anything wrong inside? I have had FR and FL speakers connected all this time, though no banana plugs, just the bare wires in the connectors.

pixelthis
11-09-2009, 11:49 PM
For any kind of device, rest is often spelled rust
Are you getting any kind of sound outta these channels?.:1:

audio amateur
11-10-2009, 03:21 AM
Could it be that the caps have dried up?

poppachubby
11-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Hi all,

I recently plugged my Sony STR-DE495 in after a year of full rest. Now it seems that there is something wrong - when I use the test tone to setup the volume levels, the test tone either is not audible for some speakers or very quiet. After a while, the audio levels seem to reach a normal level. Still, if I turn the receiver off and immediately back on, the same issue occurs. I also noticed that the center speaker starts working when I tap the receiver case slightly (it seems that the FR and FL speakers work correctly from the start).

Could it be that there is just dirt in the connectors or should I open the case and see if there's anything wrong inside? I have had FR and FL speakers connected all this time, though no banana plugs, just the bare wires in the connectors.

Is the wire old as well? If so cut it back and expose some fresh strands. These machines are so fickle, it's hard to really know.

Some time ago, one of my first H/T units began doing a "warm-up" routine on me. It would need a 10 minute period before it would emit a single sound. I never did figure out why.

If your Sony has sat for 1 year, this must be the problem. Where was it sitting? Was it exposed to dust or dirt? Moisture? It's quite possible that the problem is dirty pots and such.

For future reference, I seal any machine I'm not using in plastic, and keep it in a moisture free area of the house. Sorry, I don't have any clear cut answer for you.....

bfalls
11-10-2009, 07:34 AM
From the symptoms, the capacitor post sounds feasible, but why would the main speakers be OK? I could be something in the associated components for the surround processing. www.agoraquest.com is a good site for all things Sony. I've received a lot of good information from the site. Good Luck.

Boulder08
11-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Thank you for your suggestions.

The receiver was standing in the shelf for the year so the conditions were exactly the same they would have been if I had used it. It was used a few times over the year, and that's why the main speakers were plugged in all the time. That is also why I suspect that dirt/rust/oxides might be the problem - the three other connectors were not plugged in at all during the time.

I think I'm going to try to plug a cable from one main speaker to the different surround connectors and see what happens. I'll also open the case and see if the capacitors look ok.

I definitely need to check out that Agoraquest site, thanks :)

EDIT: There does come some sound out, but it's very quiet. I had to adjust up to +10dB to the SR channel to hear better, but as I mentioned, after some warm-up it gets louder.

Boulder08
11-10-2009, 09:21 AM
By the way, if I were to use a multimeter, what kind of readings should I expect to get from the connectors?

The insides of the receiver look ok, I just opened the case (and vacuum cleaned while I was at it).

Boulder08
11-11-2009, 07:44 AM
I got something new: I noticed while testing that if I output some 5.1 material or the test tone, I can fix the issue by turning the volume dial up to 40-50. Still, if I turn the receiver off and immediately back on, I have to do the same thing to get things working.

pixelthis
11-12-2009, 12:42 AM
I got something new: I noticed while testing that if I output some 5.1 material or the test tone, I can fix the issue by turning the volume dial up to 40-50. Still, if I turn the receiver off and immediately back on, I have to do the same thing to get things working.

Dont know about this receiver but on most you need multichannel material in order to use the test tone.
And not to be raggin your gear, but I Have had a Sony receiver, and there is nothing wrong with one that a decent dumpster cant fix.:1:

Nickyrash
11-13-2009, 04:54 AM
I am having any sony 21inches flatron tv i need to buy an home theater set and it should be used both when tv is on and also when the dvd player is also on can you give me the tips to solve it.

MartaDianne
12-11-2009, 03:24 AM
First you make sure the volume on the cable box is turned up then under audio options on the TV make sure the speaker option is set to TV and home theater system. If this does not work then it sounds like there is a problem with the TV. You will need to contact either the place of purchase or the manufacturer.