Friday shopping spree [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday shopping spree

Slosh
03-26-2004, 06:22 AM
I try to support my local indie record stores but none of them had any of these four CDs. I then tried Boarders, BB, and CC with no luck (of course). Anyway, had to get these on-line so I just ordered:

Super Furry Animals - Guerrilla and Radiator and pretty much know what to expect.

The Decemberists - The Tain EP and I think I know what to expect.

The Cansecos - s/t debut... Hey, you have to take a chance every so often :)

I suspect a few people here have those SFA albums. Any comments?

NP: SFA - Rings Around The World

DarrenH
03-26-2004, 07:06 AM

Only just to say that I really enjoyed Phantom Power and would like to explore more of their catalog. Was thinking about getting Rings Around The World. How does it compare to Phantom Power?

Thanks,

Darren

Davey
03-26-2004, 09:39 AM

You may be a little taken aback with the earlier SFA because they're decidedly more quirky than the last two, especially Radiator which is my personal fave (and my sometimes avatar). Guerilla also has a hidden track before the beginning that you have to rewind to hear, but it's one of the better songs on the CD. Don't know why they hid it. Anyway, they have progressively (systematically?) moved away from their more quirky roots with each release. Not a bad thing, just not quite as interesting for me. Still great music, though.

But now I want you to go to the chalkboard and write 100 times, "I meant to write The Tain, not The Train".

I've had an order sitting in my shopping cart at deepdiscountcd.com for over a week now but still haven't wheeled it into the cash register line. Of course, if I wait long enough I'll probably hear that all the albums I was gonna buy suck beans anyway so maybe I can save a few bucks :)

Slosh
03-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Only just to say that I really enjoyed Phantom Power and would like to explore more of their catalog. Was thinking about getting Rings Around The World. How does it compare to Phantom Power?

Thanks,

Darren

It sounds very much like Phantom Power, only more so ;)

Go for it! I have it on DVD which includes all of the expanded release edition songs (plus remixes -- of no value to me) which you'll want for "Tradewinds" alone. I saw the expanded 2-disc CD at Boarders for $16. Not too bad but I spent a few dollars more for the DVD and its superb DTS track (SFA's music sounds as if it was specifically made for 5.1)

Slosh
03-26-2004, 11:34 AM
But now I want you to go to the chalkboard and write 100 times, "I meant to write The Tain, not The Train".

D'oh! Jeff "Magnum" told me it was called The Train ;)

Quirkiness is next to godliness

Swish
03-26-2004, 01:11 PM
I try to support my local indie record stores but none of them had any of these four CDs. I then tried Boarders, BB, and CC with no luck (of course). Anyway, had to get these on-line so I just ordered:

Super Furry Animals - Guerrilla and Radiator and pretty much know what to expect.

The Decemberists - The Tain EP and I think I know what to expect.

The Cansecos - s/t debut... Hey, you have to take a chance every so often :)

NP: SFA - Rings Around The World

I've been using deepdiscountcd aplenty with their free shipping (and the slow shipping that comes with it!), but they rarely have new releases so I go to Amazon.com, who also offers free shipping on most cds now if your order exceeds $25.00.

Also, Disc 1 of Rings Around the World kicks arse! I also like Phantom Power, but not quite as much as Rings, but I have to admit that I haven't listened to it often enough to be fair about it. I guess I should take the plunge on the earlier releases to round out my collection on these dudes.

Regards,
Swish

Slosh
03-26-2004, 02:18 PM
I've been using deepdiscountcd aplenty with their free shipping (and the slow shipping that comes with it!), but they rarely have new releases so I go to Amazon.com, who also offers free shipping on most cds now if your order exceeds $25.00.

Also, Disc 1 of Rings Around the World kicks arse! I also like Phantom Power, but not quite as much as Rings, but I have to admit that I haven't listened to it often enough to be fair about it. I guess I should take the plunge on the earlier releases to round out my collection on these dudes.

Regards,
Swish

I used InSound for Cansecos and Decemberists and Amazon for SFA (with free shipping). Pricey I know but they had them in stock, which was much more important to me than saving a few sheckles.

Funny that Amazon said if I like SFA I'd also probably enjoy:

NMH - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
The Wrens - The Meadowlands
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People

No sh<a>it! Be nice if their software recommended at least one album I didn't already own ;) Not a bad list there, though.

Dusty Chalk
03-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Yes, I have them (other SFA albums -- haven't picked up Phantom Power yet); no, I cannot comment.

Slosh
03-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Yes, I have them (other SFA albums -- haven't picked up Phantom Power yet); no, I cannot comment.

Is it because:

A) If you haven't anything nice to say...?
B) You don't want to sound like a shill?
C) You don't want to sound like a street-teamer? (err, I guess that's the same as B)
D) You've never even played them?
E) You haven't the time?
F) It's personal, I wouldn't understand?
G) Honestly, do we need to know if he really came inside her mouth? How will all this effect me now?

Dusty Chalk
03-27-2004, 03:35 PM
H) Because I suck. No, seriously.

I play all my CD's once, at least, but sometimes, as in the case of these, only once. And once is just not enough to leave an impression. I remember liking them, but that's about it. Haven't even gotten around to playing the hidden track that Dave mentioned.

Or is it, "how badly do I suck?"