What do you want Santa to bring you? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do you want Santa to bring you?

atomicAdam
11-08-2009, 08:25 AM
So the holidays are coming, x-mas, tanxgiven, and a whole slew of other federally recognized days of importance that I know not the names for.

But what is important to us here, is what knew toys we want for our digital audio, home theater, analog, listening space, etc etc.

I want to put together a holiday shopping guide for audioreview based off of what the audioreview forum members want.

So if you have a minute and can lend a hand, I'd like to know what you want under your particular tree this year and why? What bliss do you expect it to bring to you, your family, and your luved ones?

Thanks,
-aA

poppachubby
11-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Grant Fidelity Tube dac-09 to connect my analog and digital worlds together and allow for perfect synergy based on its inputs/outputs.

I feel this is the last purchase I need for a while, with the exception of tweaks and such, I am hoping to be listening for a while with my current configuration.

This will hopefully free up some time for some casual auditioning and researching over the next couple of years. The next step I take will be a big one, however I expect it to be streamlined in terms of gear, as compared to the one thousand pieces I have all strung together right now.

kexodusc
11-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Comments from fellow ar.com-ers RoadRunner, Mr P and Frenchmon have me looking at one of those Emotiva ERC-1 CD Players.
I am looking for a better CD-player than the entry level grade model I have in my HT system (which now gets about as much use as my stereo rig since my wife uses it when I'm out). Currently have an Arcam CD-72 player that might get displaced if the ERC-1 lives up to the praise.
I would love something even better, but unfortunately my trusty ol' Gaggia Classic has pulled its last shot and a shiny new Gaggia Titanium SS awaits. At least it will get far more use every week...
:19:

JoeE SP9
11-08-2009, 11:23 AM
A new Oracle Delphi MK V to replace my recently sold VPI. A new one would be so much nicer than the used one I have in mind.

audio amateur
11-08-2009, 11:29 AM
A new Oracle Delphi MK V to replace my recently sold VPI. A new one would be so much nicer than the used one I have in mind.
That's a looker!

frenchmon
11-08-2009, 11:52 AM
That's a looker!

You got that right. IF I purchased that, I would be a broker...flat out broke!

frenchmon

frenchmon
11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Well mine would most likely come a little after Christmas, but I need some floor stand speakers for my system. My two channel room is only about 19x15. I have in mind the Paradigm Studio 6 v5 but also would like the Dynaudio Focus 220. But we will see.

frenchmon

atomicAdam
11-08-2009, 12:22 PM

sure is pretty!

atomicAdam
11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Oh, I forgot to put what I want. I want a PSAudio Power Plant. Get the electricity right from the get go and then work up the chain.

Though those $100 wall plugs they have are tempting. A review a read gave those the best rating out of all the PSAudio electrical gadgets and cords. But that was for hometheater, and I didn't really think the review was that well written or thought about overall.

JoeE SP9
11-08-2009, 12:45 PM
You got that right. IF I purchased that, I would be a broker...flat out broke!

frenchmon

Yes guys, an Oracle sure is a looker. The used ones I've been looking at are running under 2 grand without tonearm.

Feanor
11-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Mainly music software this year. If Santa, or anybody, has the irrepressable urge to bring me some CDs or SACDs, he can choose from my ArkivMusic Wish List, a copy of which is HERE (http://www.ody.ca/~wbailey/ArkiveWishList.pdf).

Other than that, maybe double module of OPA627 opamps, like THIS (http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-X-Dual-to-Mono-Op-amp-AD827-LM358-NE5532-to-OPA627_W0QQitemZ160367904125QQcategoryZ14978QQcmdZ ViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSI% 26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63), to upgrade my 'cheapo' DAC.

poppachubby
11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Off topic, Adam I'm half way through the TT connect upgrade. I have one word, SOLDERLESS!! Who's your daddy!?! I'm almost done...

frenchmon
11-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Off topic, Adam I'm half way through the TT connect upgrade. I have one word, SOLDERLESS!! Who's your daddy!?! I'm almost done...

Ahhh, Pedro???:smilewinkgrin:

frenchmon

Jack in Wilmington
11-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Yes guys, an Oracle sure is a looker. The used ones I've been looking at are running under 2 grand without tonearm.

Joe, I know that Quest for Sound sells Oracle. Is that where you've auditioned the MK V?
I'm going there to check out the VPI Scout and an Acoustic Signature.table.

As far as Christmas, I want to get the wife an LCD television for the family room. I keep catching her in my audio/video room. I'm asking for a new MP3 player. I want this for strickly classical and jazz.

dakatabg
11-08-2009, 03:51 PM
One good Samsung 42" tv will be a very nice present for my room! I hope santa has an account here in AR so he will know what everyone wants :)

JoeE SP9
11-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Joe, I know that Quest for Sound sells Oracle. Is that where you've auditioned the MK V?
I'm going there to check out the VPI Scout and an Acoustic Signature.table.

As far as Christmas, I want to get the wife an LCD television for the family room. I keep catching her in my audio/video room. I'm asking for a new MP3 player. I want this for strickly classical and jazz.

I have a friend in Baltimore with a MK-V and an SME arm. It sounds marvelous. He has it running with ML gear and MG-20's.
I'm extremely reluctant about visiting a store to use their time listening to a new product when I have no intention of purchasing a new one. It seems kind of unethical to me.
I can get a used Oracle for less than $2K. It may require some work and TLC. I'm prepared for that. This will probably be the last TT I'll ever purchase. My VPI worked fine for 23 years. I expect no less from an Oracle. I'll be 87 in 25 years. I doubt if I'll be looking at new TT's then.

Jack in Wilmington
11-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I have a friend in Baltimore with a MK-V and an SME arm. It sounds marvelous. He has it running with ML gear and MG-20's.
I'm extremely reluctant about visiting a store to use their time listening to a new product when I have no intention of purchasing a new one. It seems kind of unethical to me.
I can get a used Oracle for less than $2K. It may require some work and TLC. I'm prepared for that. This will probably be the last TT I'll ever purchase. My VPI worked fine for 23 years. I expect no less from an Oracle. I'll be 87 in 25 years. I doubt if I'll be looking at new TT's then.

I commend your integrity Joe. It always gets my goat when some one takes up a salespersons time to have a product demoed and then goes home and orders it online or asks the salesperson to give them the product at the online price.

Happy Camper
11-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Got it put away already. Wii.

blackraven
11-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Magnepan MG 3.6's or Salk Veracity HTR-3 speakers. But I'll settle for a Velodyne Optimum Sub.

atomicAdam
11-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Got it put away already. Wii.

That is the one thing my wife and i agree on as far as video game consoles.

audio amateur
11-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Magnepan MG 3.6's or Salk Veracity HTR-3 speakers. But I'll settle for a Velodyne Optimus Sub.
As an alternative to the Velodyne, have a look at http://www.rythmikaudio.com

They offer a ready-made sealed 15" servo subwoofer for under a grand. Alternatively, there's also a 12" version which will be smaller.
I hear great things about Rythmik. The only down side I guess would be that they do not contain any EQ devices (perhaps a notch filter). The Velo does appear to have some kind of EQ.

poppachubby
11-09-2009, 06:12 AM

I don't know, I have a good relationship with one of the local shops. The other shop in town has a turntable guru who, if he has the time, loves to listen and demo. If you are walking into a store cold then yes, it's kind of rude.

If you can develop a good relationship with a shop, the benefit is auditioning and demoing with no strings attached. Sometimes I'll just pop in and hang for a bit, from some of these visits I've been able to watch other customers demo different combos of gear too.

I've bought some things from the shop and some things online. It's not always price that drives it either.

My 2 cents...

Feanor
11-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I don't know, I have a good relationship with one of the local shops. The other shop in town has a turntable guru who, if he has the time, loves to listen and demo. If you are walking into a store cold then yes, it's kind of rude.

If you can develop a good relationship with a shop, the benefit is auditioning and demoing with no strings attached. Sometimes I'll just pop in and hang for a bit, from some of these visits I've been able to watch other customers demo different combos of gear too.

I've bought some things from the shop and some things online. It's not always price that drives it either.

My 2 cents...

So, PC, where do you "hang" in London, ON??

harley .guy07
11-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Well I would say that maybe a little help from Santa to decide which direction I want to take my system. If I want to keep my theater equipment with the knowledge that I will have to change stuff every few years for new formats and codecs. Or to get rid of my theater stuff and concentrate on 2 channel with a sub since I do care more for and listen to music much more than theater sound and viewing movies.
Once I figure this out then I would like to upgrade my main speakers with either some custom DIY speakers of my own design or possibly some used Usher 6311's or better model depending on price. I would also like to get a good deal on a 1 to 1.5 tb hard drive and a DAC so that I can use my laptop as a music server and get the benefits of using this type of music player.

JoeE SP9
11-10-2009, 09:46 AM

I've bought some things from the shop and some things on line. It's not always price that drives it either.

My 2 cents...

PC, the reason I feel that way is because I have no intention of buying a new Oracle. It's out of my price range. Plus I have done extensive listening to one. Admittedly it has an SME arm but everything else about it is what I want. Were I shopping and auditioning I wouldn't hesitate to go to a B+M site and audition whatever. I would also buy from that site and expect all the perks that go along with a purchase.