Mitsubishi Diamond (w/ Unisen) or Samsung + Soundbar [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Diamond (w/ Unisen) or Samsung + Soundbar

MixMasterZano
11-08-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm in the market for a new TV and my receive/speakers are certainly very much out of date. I recently moved to a small condo so I wanted to reduce my electronics footprint in my living room significantly.

I was looking at the Mitsubishi Diamond LT-46246 (~$2300) which includes the 18-speaker simulated surround sound. I haven't found many reviews on the Diamond. One person send the glare was fairly bad (even though its an LCD) but that's it. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Unisen series? I've heard them in the store and they sound great but I wanted to get other opinions.

My other thought, since I've always been partial to Samsung TVs, is to go with something like a Samsung 46" LCD LN46B640 (~$1200) and then purchase a powered sound bar. I'd rather not have to buy a subwoofer and receiver along with the sound bar.

Budget would be roughly ~$2500...though less is better ;) Living room is roughly 13x13. Viewing distance is about 10'

icarus
11-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Personally I have never seen a Mitsubishi tv, so I cant help with the tv selection. As for the sound bars I have been pretty pleased with what I have heard from them so far, but a sub really is needed. I would also be fairly certain that any TV system will suffer from the same lack of of low end, so even with the Mitsubishi a sub will be needed.

Personally I would go with the Samsung TV, and pioneer sound bar, and pair it with a cheap sub.

blackraven
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I've never been impressed with Mitsu TV's. Go with Samsung or Sony!
As far as sound bars go, I don't know a thing about them other than they are space savers. If you want good sound you will have to go the receiver route. You can do a center channel and 2 floor standing speakers and forgo the sub, do 2 bookshelf speakers a center and a sub for a 3.1 sytem, or just a 2.1 system with 2 bookshelfs and a sub.

MixMasterZano
11-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards the Samsung and either a receiver or sound bar. I have some old receiver equipment that I used to get me through college and my lesser audio days (an Onkyo receiver and some older Infinity tower speakers (Delta 30s) with an Infinity Beta C250 center). I may look into getting a new receiver and go from there.