Where the Wild Things Are [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where the Wild Things Are

ForeverAutumn
11-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Or as I've been referring to it since seeing it Friday night, Where the Boring Things Are.

I'm not sure who this movie was supposed to appeal to. Adults? Nope, not enough action or humour. Just a bunch of depressed strange looking creatures trying to have fun and not really succeeding. Kids? Not only boring and not funny, but a little creepy. I could see this movie contributing to nightmares in young kids.

This movie had nothing for anyone. I haven't read the book and didn't know the story line. I had absolutely no expectations going into this movie and still it failed on every level.

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It may even bump Notting Hill out of the esteemed Worst Movie I've Ever Seen category. If not, it's a very close second.

Troy
11-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Beautiful!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Or as I've been referring to it since seeing it Friday night, Where the Boring Things Are.

I'm not sure who this movie was supposed to appeal to. Adults? Nope, not enough action or humour. Just a bunch of depressed strange looking creatures trying to have fun and not really succeeding. Kids? Not only boring and not funny, but a little creepy. I could see this movie contributing to nightmares in young kids.

This movie had nothing for anyone. I haven't read the book and didn't know the story line. I had absolutely no expectations going into this movie and still it failed on every level.

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It may even bump Notting Hill out of the esteemed Worst Movie I've Ever Seen category. If not, it's a very close second.

Wow FA, I really liked this film. It brought out the kid in me, and do you know how hard that is in this day and time? LOL

ForeverAutumn
11-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Wow FA, I really liked this film. It brought out the kid in me, and do you know how hard that is in this day and time? LOL

The collegue that I have lunch with loved it! When I told her that I saw it, the first thing she said was, "didn't you just love it!". I thought she was kidding. She wasn't.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Sir T. I don't understand how. But I'm glad that you did. :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-26-2009, 03:17 PM
The collegue that I have lunch with loved it! When I told her that I saw it, the first thing she said was, "didn't you just love it!". I thought she was kidding. She wasn't.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Sir T. I don't understand how. But I'm glad that you did. :)

Wow!! LOL, and I am really feeling your hate-o-meter on this one. :lol: This movie is not going to appeal to everyone, that is for sure. I guess I "got" this movie, and so did my boys. The old adage "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" must make some sense. :yesnod:

Okay now I am scared..........:yikes:

Mr Peabody
11-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Let me guess, this is a Disney movie? This movie isn't released on disc yet is it?

FA, just to get a feel for your reference, what fantasy movies did you enjoy? ie. Spiderwick, Dark Crystal, Narnia etc. Did you like Nim's Island?

ForeverAutumn
11-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Let me guess, this is a Disney movie? This movie isn't released on disc yet is it?

FA, just to get a feel for your reference, what fantasy movies did you enjoy? ie. Spiderwick, Dark Crystal, Narnia etc. Did you like Nim's Island?

I haven't seen Spiderwick or Nim's Island. I did like The Dark Crystal and Narnia. I enjoyed The Neverending Story way back when. And I love The Princess Bride and Labyrinth.

I really wanted to like this movie. I just didn't find anything enjoyable about it. There were a few good lines that made me chuckle but they weren't enough to break the overall feeling of, "is it over yet?".

Sir T, maybe you can explain to me the significance of the owl's arm being torn off and replaced with a stick. That was probably the funniest part of the whole movie. That, and when I suggested to my husband at the end of the film, that we all start howling! :lol:

Mr Peabody
11-27-2009, 09:57 AM
How could I forget the Never Ending Story. I loved that movie when I first saw it. Probably slow by today's standards but still a good movie. You should see Spiderwick Chronicles, it's pretty good. Nim's Island stars Jodi Foster. It's different from the other movies we've been talking about but really good. She's not the main character but has a big part. It's funny, she is one of those people who are afraid to go out of the house. I don't want to give everything away but Nim is a girl who lives on an island with her scientist father. I think Foster lives in New York, so give it a watch and see how their lives come together.

3LB
11-27-2009, 12:54 PM
I think Maurice Sendek is the kinda author you like or dislike. That being said, I didn't grow up with this book. I never even heard of him until about 16 or 17 years ago when someone gave us a tape of Sendek's short stories turned into animated shorts set to the music of Carol King (she set the stories to music and to be honest, its some of her best work musically).

Sendek's specialty is/was picture books, with succinct sentences per page to advance an idea (Dr Suess is verbose in comparison to Sendek). What little print that was there tended to be syncopated, poem-like in structure, but was mainly there to enhance the pictures. From that perspective, the stories are simple, something a child could appreciate. I believe Sendek wanted a child's mind to run wild, and could care less for being a storyteller of detail. He wanted kids to come up with their own details and conclusions, and I suppose his style worked on that level. I've met a lot of people who found Sendek to be mesmerizing. Some kids did find the pictures and concept of Where The Wild Things Are (little boy magically leaving the safety of his room to go on a long long voyage to an island run amok with monsters, i.e. "facing his fears") to be too frightening, but Sendek coulda cared less - his response to a lot of his detractors was simply, "don't read it".

In order to get this very short story to fill an entire movie, a lot of poetic license was granted to Spike Jonze (and with Sendek's approval too). So not much of what you see in the way of details is actually Sendek, considering his books usually only take all of 5 minutes to read. From what I've read the only real negative opinions are one's where people are scratching their heads as to what all the sentiment is about. People were going to the movie dressed as Max in his wolf suit, others in pajamas. I didn't get the sentiment either. As picture books go, I'm neither here nor there with regards to Sendek. I find the protagonists of some of his stories to be outright friggin brats. I found WTWTA to be as heart-rendering as a Peanuts cartoon.