Opinions on GI Joe? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on GI Joe?

Mr Peabody
11-07-2009, 09:09 PM
People were so down on this movie I almost didn't rent it. Look the movie is based on a toy and cartoon, what did people expect? Any way I rented the Blu-ray and found it to be good. Good, in that I was entertained, not that any one will be up for an Academy Award. The movie was fast paced and wall to wall action. I thought sound track and picture quality was good.

I have to brag a bit. GI Joe and Transformers 2 were awesome on my system. The wife left the room when the movie was over, I was just letting the movie play when that Black Eyed Peas song came on during the credits, I had to bump the volume up, it was sounding good and the air movement from the sub was impressive, I decided to push the system. I hit the volume again, it was loud but everything remained clean. It just amazes me that a 11 lb amp rated at 125x2 could reach this volume, and stay free from distortion. I was also happy that the SVS was pumping massive bass at that volume while keeping the detail and no distortion. It's hard to gauge how loud it was but I was far beyond being able to hear some one say anything, even with a haller. The SVS was very clean but I could feel an incredible sensation from the bass waves.

thekid
11-08-2009, 03:16 AM
Mr. P

I think your examples above are really what HT is all about. The movies mentioned are devoid of plot/story but you like them in part because of the action sequences and in part because it lets you flex and appreciate the quality of your HT set-up. IMO a lot of mediocre movies get bumped up a notch when they get rented and put through a quality HT set-up. I remember several years ago seeing "Armegeddon" on a pretty good HT system when HT was relatively new. I think- hey pretty good movie though I did not get to see the end. So the next time I am the video store I go ahead and rent it. Take it home pop it in the VCR hooked to my 27" TV and now I realize its not such a great movie. Such is the power of HT. When I first got my HT set-up my kids accused me of renting movies just because of they would sound/look awesome in my HT set-up.

thekid
11-08-2009, 03:16 AM
Mr. P

I think your examples above are really what HT is all about. The movies mentioned are devoid of plot/story but you like them in part because of the action sequences and in part because it lets you flex and appreciate the quality of your HT set-up. IMO a lot of mediocre movies get bumped up a notch when they get rented and put through a quality HT set-up. I remember several years ago seeing "Armegeddon" on a pretty good HT system when HT was relatively new. I think- hey pretty good movie though I did not get to see the end. So the next time I am the video store I go ahead and rent it. Take it home pop it in the VCR hooked to my 27" TV and now I realize its not such a great movie. Such is the power of HT. When I first got my HT set-up my kids accused me of renting movies just because of they would sound/look awesome in my HT set-up.

Troy
11-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Isn't GI Joe the movie they parodied in Team America? It just hadn't come out yet.

Maybe they should use that as an advertising slogan: "Home Theater, it makes terrible movies watchable!" Boy's, a shiny, perfectly formed turd is still just a turd.

Mr Peabody
11-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I guess I won't hear from Starkist, I have no taste. I liked Armoghetton and GI Joe.

recoveryone
11-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I've been waiting to see if anyone would be brave enough to post on this. I picked it up on Blu ray (price $19 @ Wal Mart) couldn't pass it up. The PQ was right up there with Transformer 2, but most scenes are in a dark settings. The sound track is spot on and works out any HT system. Yes the story line is weak and the acting is not much better. But it is a sit back kill 2 hours and enjoy the view type of movie. The only real flaw I notice is that in the flash back on Duke was that he was a Major then called Captain in the present time. I also notice that they did the same frame ratio change up during some of the battle scenes as they did in transformer 2. Its a nice touch, I wonder if it will be something that other editing teams will use in the future.