Sell or not sell JBL speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sell or not sell JBL speakers

SpankingVanillaice
11-06-2009, 07:11 PM
I currently own the JBL N26 speakers for my music system but I was wondering if I should sell it and get the Sony SS-F5000 since on Amazon.com they are selling them for $112 pair and that's a great deal. I need help on deciding if I should sell the JBL's and get the Sony's or should I keep the JBL N26.

Thanks

SpankingVanillaice
11-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Also right now I' am using a basic stereo receiver I got a month agao. I have a Sherwood RX-4109 receiver that is 200 watts total power. It really sounds nice with this receiver.

RoyY51
11-06-2009, 07:25 PM
...and here we go again...

SpankingVanillaice
11-06-2009, 07:28 PM
I really am having a hard time deciding on this and need help. I thought for the money I get alot if I got the Sony SS-F5000 floorstanding speakers. But I would like feedback on if I should sell the JBLs and get the Sonys instead or keep the JBLs.

JohnMichael
11-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Dallas, Good to see you posting. I hope life and love are treating you well. Oh and stick with the JBL's.

SpankingVanillaice
11-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Dallas, Good to see you posting. I hope life and love are treating you well. Oh and stick with the JBL's.Oh and about the love part Adam and I broke up two months agao since I found out he was lieing to me for 3 years about something he said he would keep a promise. Right now I' am looking for a boyfriend again and hopfully I will find one that is loving, caring and that will keep promises unlike Adam. So I was with Adam for 5 years basicaly.

About the speakers now why do you say the JBL N26 is better? I thought that the Sonys will give more fuller sound since it's bigger and its a floorstanding speaker but maybe I was wrong.

harley .guy07
11-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I would as well think that the JBL's would be better overall in sound quality. I have a friend that has the Sony's you are speaking of and they sound OK but I know the JBL's pretty well and I believe they are overall a better built speakers with better crossovers and driver components and while they might not be as bassy as the Sony's but the overall sound character will be better with the JBL's. Just my opinion.

audio amateur
11-07-2009, 06:13 AM
I was wondering if he'd come back:D

02audionoob
11-07-2009, 06:25 AM
The Sony speakers would be a waste of money, but at least they don't break promises.

poppachubby
11-07-2009, 07:20 AM
The Sony speakers would be a waste of money, but at least they don't break promises.

Hehehe....unless of course you're talking about the promise of any kind of decent performance.

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Somereason alot of people say that the Sonys aren't the best they didn't say they are bad or anything but I mean look at the price of them they are very cheap so you guys can't expect that they sound like a $1000 each speakers you know. But do you guys think for the price they sound great. Also Sony says that are from 45hz to 50kHz which is pretty impressive I think.

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I did see alot of good reviews on amazon.com for these Sony speakers. I think you guys are compairing these budget speakers to something that costs 4 or 5 times more the price now of cource you compair them with the Sonys ya the Sonys aren't close at all to those expensive speakers but for $112 they got to be amazing for the price. Do you guys agree.

02audionoob
11-07-2009, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't want those Sony speakers for free and I certainly wouldn't replace JBL N26 speakers with them.

poppachubby
11-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I did see alot of good reviews on amazon.com for these Sony speakers. I think you guys are compairing these budget speakers to something that costs 4 or 5 times more the price now of cource you compair them with the Sonys ya the Sonys aren't close at all to those expensive speakers but for $112 they got to be amazing for the price. Do you guys agree.

I am saying vs. your JBL's they suck. I am a JBL fan and have in my listening room a pair of mint L-110's. I am presently seeking out a pair of Genesis. Why don't you see if you could find a nice pair of highly regarded used speakers? Maybe double the quality of the Sony's for the same price point...

JohnMichael
11-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Somereason alot of people say that the Sonys aren't the best they didn't say they are bad or anything but I mean look at the price of them they are very cheap so you guys can't expect that they sound like a $1000 each speakers you know. But do you guys think for the price they sound great. Also Sony says that are from 45hz to 50kHz which is pretty impressive I think.

Dallas a speaker can boast a wide frequency response but does it deliver all of those frequencies at the same level. If it is producing 45hz is it any where near the level of the midrange? Is the midrange smooth or are there peaks and valleys in frequencies that will emphasize some instruments and voices. Another problem with an inexpensive floorstanding speaker is the colorations the cabinet will add to the sound. It is easier and cheaper to make a bookshel enclosure that is inert than a larger cabinet with larger panels. The more cabinet the more to resonate. A lot of money is needed to make an enclosure for a floorstanding speaker that is solid and does not muddy the sound. That is why I think you should keep the JBL's. If you are looking for more bass consider an inexpensive powered subwoofer for more low end.

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Well what if I got a pair of JBL N28 instead would that make any real difference on sound compairing the N26 I have to the N28? The frequency response is about the same on the two models I noticed. I could sell the N26 and get the N28 since someone is selling them on ebay now. Or do you think I should keep the N26?

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Also if the Sony speakers are that bad then why on amazon.com people review says they are like 5 star? Are you sure that the SS-F5000 is not good at all?

Auricauricle
11-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Dallas, who are ya gonna believe: the guys on Amazon who press anything to get a product out or your family who tells you the truth, no matter how bitter? If not that, do you wanna buy a speaker from a manufacturer who dabbles in just about every conceivable appliance known to man or the fella whose fame came from dabbling in just one thing and did it quite well? Now, simmer down and enjoy the music, boy. You're upsettin' the dawg!

poppachubby
11-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Ask yourself this, what would a Brontosauras do? Do you want the pre-10 billion BC Raptor fossil or the 5 million year old Wooly Mammal? The choice seems pretty simple.

audio amateur
11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Forget the Sonys, I owned the bookshelf version and they sucked big time

Auricauricle
11-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Listen to Poppa, Junior. WWBD? What Would Bronto Do? Let it be a mantra....

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Maybe it ends up that I have to try the Sonys myself and see how they sound. It just very hard to believe that Sony makes that bad products. You guys are making it sound like Sony is the worst speakers you can get and if that's true then why are they selling those Sonys alot? Also you guys might be expecting too much out of speakers that cost $200 or under for floorstanding speakers. I know you guys are use to really high end stuff but I don't have the money and I want the best out of the money and I thought the Sonys is the biggest and best I can afford.

By the way I have owned many Sony products in the past and I always trusted them since they last long time and they are built well etc. You guys just seem to make Sony a shame or Sony is bad no good. I don't agree with that.

poppachubby
11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Maybe it ends up that I have to try the Sonys myself and see how they sound. It just very hard to believe that Sony makes that bad products. You guys are making it sound like Sony is the worst speakers you can get and if that's true then why are they selling those Sonys alot? Also you guys might be expecting too much out of speakers that cost $200 or under for floorstanding speakers. I know you guys are use to really high end stuff but I don't have the money and I want the best out of the money and I thought the Sonys is the biggest and best I can afford.

By the way I have owned many Sony products in the past and I always trusted them since they last long time and they are built well etc. You guys just seem to make Sony a shame or Sony is bad no good. I don't agree with that.

Look at my signature!! No bias here, but you asked and now you're in disbelief that the answer isn't what you had hoped. Don't turn it around on us! You are the one who is in denial here. We aren't saying Sony is bad, just that particular pair of speakers is.

If you want more value for your budget, GO USED!!!!!!

Otherwise, quit trying to convince yourself that we are using voodoo to brainwash you against the world's leading speaker manufacturer, Sony. Pull the trigger, DO IT!!!

LOL....all in good fun Ice Ice Baby.

Auricauricle
11-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Not trying to discredit Sony here, D, but urging you to consider that when buying gear a good thing to remember is to consider a company's strengths when doing so. JBL is (as far as I know) a firm that focused nearly all of its energy on speakers, a mission that has served it quite well. On the other hand, Sony, has touched upon everything. While many of their products are (rightfully) well regarded, speaker design does not seem to be one of their priorities. Nevertheless, by all means, check 'em out. If you like 'em, buy 'em and the hell with what I or anybody else says.

BTW, yes, many of the folks here have high-end gear, but I have seldom, if ever, encountered a member who had the gall to use what he spent (or anybody else spent) as a guide to his perceptions of quality. We're trying to help, and we're not being snobbish about it. Don't play that; you know better. :)

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 03:47 PM
So just the Sony speakers aren't good at all but everything else is good? Now why would a company do that? Are you sure that the SS-F5000 is that bad and if I got them I would not like them at all? Since if I won't like them then probley I should not get them. But of cource I might think they sound great. I don't know.

02audionoob
11-07-2009, 03:54 PM
The cost means diddley squat. The specs mean diddley squat. Amateur reviewers on Amazon have probably never a good speaker so their opinions mean diddley squat.

Well what if I got a pair of JBL N28 instead would that make any real difference on sound compairing the N26 I have to the N28? The frequency response is about the same on the two models I noticed. I could sell the N26 and get the N28 since someone is selling them on ebay now. Or do you think I should keep the N26?

To upgrade, going to the larger speaker in the N series isn't the answer. An upgrade path would be the S series.

Auricauricle
11-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Look into my eyes, boy...

blackraven
11-07-2009, 04:18 PM
SVI, save a few more dollars and buy any one of these speakers which will be better than both the JBL and Sony's.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC300

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS300

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC200

The 2 energy speakers are a great buy and sound much better than anything you are looking at. And they have a 30day money back guarantee.

Do yourself a favor and forget about the Sony's. You will end up getting rid of them just like you did with all the other junk speakers you have bought and we told you not too. We are just being honest and trying to help you. We all started out with inexpensive equipment at some point in time and have experience here. Sometimes I wonder if you are just yanking our chains.

I guess the saying "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" applies here!

poppachubby
11-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Dude, why did you bother to post for advice? All you want to do is argue about it. Buy the bloody things and if you don't like them, return them. It's your time and your dime. I am done with this thread now...I saw a new thread for a guy wondering about a Fisher Price dac...

audio amateur
11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Dude, why did you bother to post for advice? All you want to do is argue about it. Buy the bloody things and if you don't like them, return them. It's your time and your dime. I am done with this thread now...I saw a new thread for a guy wondering about a Fisher Price dac...
Welcome to the surreal and incredibly bizarre world that is Spanking Vanillaice's threads. I'm still looking for the thread of all threads that I was mentioning a couple days ago.

Auricauricle
11-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks fer reelin' me in there, aa....I wuz about to haul off an'....Where the dump truck is my dadburn beer!?!

02audionoob
11-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Well...at least SVI isn't running one of those threads where the OP says he's looking for some high end speakers and then we eventually find out he thinks high end can be had for $200.

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I do know I use to own the JBL S26 speakers and I really liked them but I did misstake and sold those and to think of it the JBL N28 might be the closest to the JBL S26 since the specs are closer to it.

Or is the JBL N26 I have is the closest speakers to the JBL S26 since both are 6in woofers?

I really liked the S26 alot but 4 years agao I sold them I think they were probley the best and they were in the studio series line.

blackraven
11-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Welcome To the Twilight Zone!!!!!!

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Huh??? What are you saying? Do you think I' am joking? I really wish I could of kept the JBL S26 I had it was the best speakers I had. So I was wondering if I should get the N28 or is the N26 I have the closest to the JBL S26?

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 06:20 PM
I wish I could change this topic but now I want to find the closest speakers to the JBL S26 I had. I think the N28 might be closer since the specs are close but I don't know.

blackraven
11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
SVI, cant you look past JBL's to greater dinosaur pastures. Open your mind Little GrassHopper. Expand your horizons and strive for something greater. Listen to the people on this forum!

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Is the JBL S26 too old? I thought they are still great speakers. The N28 seems like it's closer to it but it has a 8in woofer so it is bigger than the S26 that had 6in woofer. But since mine is made of high end plastic does it make a difference if it was wood like the N28? Or it won't make much difference.

02audionoob
11-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I like the S26 very well...old or not. The N28 might be about as good, but the sound is tighter in the S series. I have a pair of S38 and I'd trade a pair straight up for a pair of S26 if I could find someone interested.

SpankingVanillaice
11-07-2009, 09:06 PM
So you think the N28 is closer to the S26? So that means the N26 I have isn't the closest to S26? In that case then I should probley sell the N26 and get the N28 that someone is selling at on Ebay. Or does the N26 I have sound close enough to N28?

02audionoob
11-08-2009, 06:54 AM
So you think the N28 is closer to the S26? So that means the N26 I have isn't the closest to S26? In that case then I should probley sell the N26 and get the N28 that someone is selling at on Ebay. Or does the N26 I have sound close enough to N28?

I wouldn't bother upgrading within the N series. I would upgrade to the S series.

poppachubby
11-08-2009, 07:29 AM
I wouldn't bother upgrading within the N series. I would upgrade to the S series.

noob, I'm aware that there is a possibility of you enjoying this rambling thread.

As your friend I feel compelled to advise you of it's enevitable outcome, you hanging in a noose while this guy continues to looks for JBL speakers...

02audionoob
11-08-2009, 07:55 AM
noob, I'm aware that there is a possibility of you enjoying this rambling thread.

As your friend I feel compelled to advise you of it's enevitable outcome, you hanging in a noose while this guy continues to looks for JBL speakers...

No worries. It's not causing me any harm. It's better than arguing about socialized medicine.

poppachubby
11-08-2009, 08:07 AM
No worries. It's not causing me any harm. It's better than arguing about socialized medicine.

OK, just keep in mind I have a big warm hug and a box of tissues waiting for you. LOL. Hey BTW, a more interesting topic than the Neverending Speaker Story...

My copy of Bad Benson had a wicked deformity in the first track. A bump so big it served as a Dukes of Hazzard style lauching pad for the 2M. I had been told by a couple of different guys to put the album under a good sized pile of records and it would reshape itself.

Low and behold, I put it inside 2 large squares of off cut mellamine, slightly bigger than the LP itself. On top of that I put 75 lbs of weight and left it for a week. I took it out today and it's straight as an arrow!!

Vinyl truly is the greatest format...that Benson album has never sounded so good. Still haven't got my Live in LA yet.

02audionoob
11-08-2009, 08:16 AM
OK, just keep in mind I have a big warm hug and a box of tissues waiting for you. LOL. Hey BTW, a more interesting topic than the Neverending Speaker Story...

My copy of Bad Benson had a wicked deformity in the first track. A bump so big it served as a Dukes of Hazzard style lauching pad for the 2M. I had been told by a couple of different guys to put the album under a good sized pile of records and it would reshape itself.

Low and behold, I put it inside 2 large squares of off cut mellamine, slightly bigger than the LP itself. On top of that I put 75 lbs of weight and left it for a week. I took it out today and it's straight as an arrow!!

Vinyl truly is the greatest format...that Benson album has never sounded so good. Still haven't got my Live in LA yet.

That Benson album I picked up yesterday is outstanding. You got "Willow Weep For Me"?

poppachubby
11-08-2009, 08:50 AM
That Benson album I picked up yesterday is outstanding. You got "Willow Weep For Me"?

On CD. My vinyl Benson collection is thin right now. I am trying to round out the CTI stuff, not too sure how mcuh of the WB years I really want. Like I told you, I bought Encore and was basically disappointed. Finyl Vinyl, that online Canuck site has a few more titles that I want. In a few weeks I hope to have most of the essential stuff. Which one did you get again? I know you have In Flight, I personally love that album, alot of people feel that was the beginning of the end for him.

02audionoob
11-08-2009, 09:01 AM
On CD. My vinyl Benson collection is thin right now. I am trying to round out the CTI stuff, not too sure how mcuh of the WB years I really want. Like I told you, I bought Encore and was basically disappointed. Finyl Vinyl, that online Canuck site has a few more titles that I want. In a few weeks I hope to have most of the essential stuff. Which one did you get again? I know you have In Flight, I personally love that album, alot of people feel that was the beginning of the end for him.

The one I got yesterday is Willow.

poppachubby
11-08-2009, 09:13 AM
The one I got yesterday is Willow.

Right, I didn't make the connection from your post. Tired. Glad you're enjoying his stuff, picked up some Billy Preston. If you like organ it's a really fun album. Billy's Bag.

blackraven
11-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Darn, I was wanting to piss of a few more people!:crazy: