So I dropped my Rears in as Mains [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So I dropped my Rears in as Mains

Hyfi
11-06-2009, 05:21 PM
The other night I decided to see just how good my rears were as mains. I hooked them up for a few hours with previous gear while I waited for the stands to come but never even broke them in.

I placed the heavy little Dynaudio Audience 42s on top of my 82s and tilted them forward a bit because they were really a bit too high. I got these little guys at a great bargain 2 years ago after they were used for the CES show for one weekend. They still have a little tag on the back of one from the show. I got them for $600 and just noticed the ones that are left are still selling for around $850.....

These little speakers weigh in at 10.6lbs per speaker and are of two way design with a port in the back. They were Speaker of the year in 2000 by several accounts and rightly so.

I started out playing Norah Jones- Come Away With Me. Wow, she was in the room and the sound was much bigger than I expected for tots in a 15x20 room. Morphine- Cure for Pain was next and again, they were there. Next I spun One Alternative- Take Note which again excelled in vocals, piano, and acoustic guitar. Acoustic Alchemy- Early Alchemy was next up and lovely with the dual acoustic guitars. I then spun John Wetton- Nomansland which at times seemed a little congested on the hard electric tunes but awesome on the piano and acoustic.

Over the course of a few days, I did play a lot of music with and without the sub. The sub did add a whole new thing going on but that would be expected. Oddly enough, for a little bookshelf speaker, these guys do have some nice bass, both in tone and depth. I highly recommend these speakers and hope the new Excite line follows in the same footsteps.

So last night, while listening, Mrs hyfi says "why are we listening to these, I want to hear some bass" and then, "It's time to put the big Clearfields back in".

The CFs are in place now and with and without the sub are kickin some musical ass!

Worf101
11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Interesting idea, I actually read this twice, might do the same thing next weekend and swap the Ohm Walsh 2s for the ADS 1290's. Thanks.

Worf

Hyfi
11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Interesting idea, I actually read this twice, might do the same thing next weekend and swap the Ohm Walsh 2s for the ADS 1290's. Thanks.

Worf

I also have the pair of JM Labs Tantal 509s in the Family room run off the Counterpoint thru a Niles switchbox and 50 feet of rat shack zip cord that sound pretty nice already. I'm gonna hook them up as mains one of these days also. I know they lack a bit of low end but are super nice speakers for the $600 I paid for them.