PDA

View Full Version : Rush- 2112

Finch Platte
11-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Discuss.

http://capesandlasers.com/pics/2112awk.jpg

Hyfi
11-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Oddly enough, i recently listened to that disk all the way through for the first time....and the last. I can't take the cocals, music ain't bad tho.

ForeverAutumn
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Freakin' awesome man! :3:

You're wrong Hyfi, the cocals totally rock!

Finch Platte
11-06-2009, 01:42 PM

Oddly enough... (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cocalero/favorites/)

Edit: I wonder if he lives in Socal, and has for a while?

Then he'd be Cocal, the Socal local.

GMichael
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
One of Rush's all time best CD's IMO. I had recorded an interview that a radio station (i95) in CT had with Rush years ago. Geddy talked about how much work that they had put into Caress of Steel (their first concept album) only to have it not be as popular as their first two records. They were faced with a choice for their 4th record. Go back to what worked for the first record, or say screw it and do what they wanted. 2112 was the result. They went ahead with what they wanted to do. You can even feel a little of their anger in it.

GMichael
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Oh, forgot to mention. At the tender age of 16, this was the first concert that I ever went to.

frenchmon
11-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Love it....but I loved all of Rush.......and still do. Neil Peart is the best.

frenchmon

Hyfi
11-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Man, I fat fingered that one. Sorry, i just can't agree. Same thing goes for Journey after the first 3 albums.

More music, Less vocals!

Auricauricle
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Not bad, not bad....Boston did it better, though! :)

frenchmon
11-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Man, I fat fingered that one. Sorry, i just can't agree. Same thing goes for Journey after the first 3 albums.

More music, Less vocals!

Hated Journey....sissy stuff.

frenchmon

frenchmon
11-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Not bad, not bad....Boston did it better, though! :)

Dont know what anybody saw in Boston....Now Kansas was a different story.

frenchmon

Auricauricle
11-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I can dig Kansas...Left Overture was a classic. Still, does Kansas get put in the same bin as Boston, Rush and (God forbid) Journey? I thought their country-like sound was distinctive, if not distinguished!

Finch Platte
11-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Hated Journey....sissy stuff.

frenchmon

Have you even heard the first 3 discs before Perry joined & took over?

Awesome prog-rock stuff. :cornut:

http://rgcred.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/journey-next.jpg

3LB
11-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Agreed on the first three Journey albums. Topaz is one of rock's greatest instrumentals. Dig that fro!

I'm not gaga over 2112, but it is a fun listen. Their performance of it on All The World's A Stage is better than the studio version IMHO. Moving Pictures is my coming of age Rush album.

Killer killer band.

Auricauricle
11-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Speaking of Prog, I've been giving this a turn today...

Thanks for the tip on Journey's first three. I'll give 'em a listen.

nightflier
11-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Discuss.

http://capesandlasers.com/pics/2112awk.jpg

...isn't the world going to end 100 years sooner?

Auricauricle
11-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Yep, thanks you Satanists and onanists and preverts and degenrites and pot smokers an...an...uh, never mind!

nightflier
11-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey what's wrong with pot-smoking? It's legal now!

(and the Amsterdam tourist industry is in tears...)

Auricauricle
11-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Let this be a caution to ya!

(BTW, let it run a coupla secs to clear up).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlTOPjcyQLs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlTOPjcyQLs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr Peabody
11-06-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm with FA on 2112. What the.... is cocals? I know I'll hate myself for asking but it's my nature. I really like the side of Caress Of Steel that has Bastille Day. The last song on that side is terribly under rated.

Kansas, Country? Some one is confused.

Boston done nothing, nothing! better than Rush.

I also, happen to like Journey. All of it up to Escape and a few songs after that.

NF, I think you smoked one too many, if pot is legal then some one had better tell my state and every state around it.

Jack in Wilmington
11-07-2009, 08:04 AM

Never thought about it that way FP. I may have to check that out. I always lumped Journey in with Styx and REO Speedwagon. Not with Kansas and Boston.

Mr Peabody
11-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Jack, I guess I don't get your difference between Boston and Styx or REO. Certainly all are equally as commercial and over played. Too bad the stations don't dig into the Kansas catalog like they should.

Neal Schon and Greg Rollie did a couple of the first Santana albums before leaving to form Journey. They did 3 albums before hiring Perry as front man. You can sort of hear the early influences still on Infinity, which is probably my overall favorite, but as they go on the sound begins to transition more and more. I'm a big Rollie fan, even on Evolution and Departure he does some tasty keyboard. I'd like to talk to one of those guys and ask what was behind Departure. it was pretty much a departure having it's own feel apart from other Journey albums. Some stellar keys on I'm Crying, a great song which I don't think ever hit the radio.

Uh..... Rush.....yeah.... I remember. I think what made 2112 so great is the concept side was equally as good or better than the other side with regular tracks. I'd say equally as good in my book because I like the whole album. Albums like Caress Of Steel and, Hemispheres just wasn't up to par on the concept side.

Finch Platte
11-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Never thought about it that way FP. I may have to check that out. I always lumped Journey in with Styx and REO Speedwagon. Not with Kansas and Boston.

We've discussed this a while back, and I put together a compilation of what I thought were the best songs off the 1st 3 discs. If anyone wants to hear it, just PM me and I can send you one.

fp

Troy
11-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Yes, those first 3 Journey albums are TOTALLY different than the stuff that came later. Few people know that Journey was Santana's band on his first couple of albums (generally considered to be the best Santana albums). They split from him and took their excellent chops in a more prog direction . . . but the connection to the early Santana sound is unmistakable if you care to look for it.

But 2112, can you believe I've never heard it? And I consider myself something of a Rush fan having played the snot out of Farewell to Kings when I was 16 and Moving Pictures and the string of 80s synth albums in my 20s and 30s. I hated the screechy earlier albums like Caress of Steel or the S/T one and didn't like Hemispheres at all, so 2112 just slipped thru the cracks for me. Funny, huh?

Mr Peabody
11-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Troy, you have to hear 2112. If you listen to any rock radio you probably heard songs off of it. I only like a couple off Hemispheres. Email or PM me if you wish and I will hook you up.

There was a LP double album out called Journey, In The Beginning that was a comp of the first three albums. Not sure if it was ever on CD. If so, probably went out of print when the first three were released on CD. I had that LP and kicking myself for letting it go. I have the CD's but I believe the LP sounds better. Not a vinyl vs. CD thing, just the CD's are not the best sound quality and I don't remember ever being dissatisfied with the sound of the LP.

Any way Winston, take Finchy up on his kind offer.

Auricauricle
11-07-2009, 01:25 PM
There's just something about the sound of amny of Kansas' work that reminds me of what later evolved into southern rock; 'specially when dey stomp. Heavy drums, heavy bass, a bit o' syncopation here, a fiddle there, shoot, I dunno....Reminds me of Aaron Copland? Yeah, some of it can be compared to ELP or others, but it definitely is distict from Journey or Boston whose sound seems more urban (or whatever).

poppachubby
11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
But 2112, can you believe I've never heard it? And I consider myself something of a Rush fan...

No, quite honestly I can't. I'm sorry man, but you can't be a fan of Rush and have never heard 2112. It's not possible. Please don't get angry or upset, but there's little to discuss or try to debate.

Never heard 2112 = Non Rush Fan

also

Never Heard 2112 = Casual Listener of Rush

Troy, you must immediately stop referring to yourself as a Rush fan. Even "something of a Rush fan" will not do. Cease and desist. As you can see, you are a casual listener of Rush. Stop.

You should drop anything you are doing and drive straight to a music store. Drive your car through the plate glass, find a copy of 2112 and play it in your car until the police arrive. If you are in Canada, the cops will probably understand once you explain. If not, your short stint in prison will be worth it.

Only then Troy, can you call yourself a Rush fan.

Jack in Wilmington
11-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Troy, you have to hear 2112. If you listen to any rock radio you probably heard songs off of it. I only like a couple off Hemispheres. Email or PM me if you wish and I will hook you up.

There was a LP double album out called Journey, In The Beginning that was a comp of the first three albums. Not sure if it was ever on CD. If so, probably went out of print when the first three were released on CD. I had that LP and kicking myself for letting it go. I have the CD's but I believe the LP sounds better. Not a vinyl vs. CD thing, just the CD's are not the best sound quality and I don't remember ever being dissatisfied with the sound of the LP.

Any way Winston, take Finchy up on his kind offer.

Mr P. I guess my analogy of Boston was purely one of taste. I simply liked Boston more than the other three.
And as far as Hemispheres goes, it is one of my favorite Rush albums. Circumstances is a excellent hard driving rocker, that always gets my foot tapping. La Villa Strangiato is a great instrumental that shows the many facits of Rush's music. I think it is a very under appreciated album.

Mr Peabody
11-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Jack, Circumstances was always my favorite off of that album. I haven't spun it in a long time, maybe it's time. It will be interesting to see how it strikes me.

Boston is good, it's just one of those bands radio actually killed for me. There's a number of them.

Jack in Wilmington
11-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Jack, Circumstances was always my favorite off of that album. I haven't spun it in a long time, maybe it's time. It will be interesting to see how it strikes me.

Boston is good, it's just one of those bands radio actually killed for me. There's a number of them.

Agreed, there are a bunch of bands that radio killed for me also. When I'm in the car with my carpool and certain songs come on by the Rolling Stones and I change the station and they'll say "Not a Stones fan" I'll tell them that I'm tired of hearing that song. One of the other carpoolers is that way about the Doors. We're all in agreement about Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin.

Troy
11-08-2009, 09:07 AM
No, quite honestly I can't. I'm sorry man, but you can't be a fan of Rush and have never heard 2112. It's not possible. Please don't get angry or upset, but there's little to discuss or try to debate.

also

Troy, you must immediately stop referring to yourself as a Rush fan. Even "something of a Rush fan" will not do. Cease and desist. As you can see, you are a casual listener of Rush. Stop.

You should drop anything you are doing and drive straight to a music store. Drive your car through the plate glass, find a copy of 2112 and play it in your car until the police arrive. If you are in Canada, the cops will probably understand once you explain. If not, your short stint in prison will be worth it.

All that stuff you hear about Rush fans? It's true. A copy of it is on the way . . .

poppachubby
11-08-2009, 09:19 AM
All that stuff you hear about Rush fans? It's true. A copy of it is on the way . . .

" Rush HQ? Motherbird do you copy? Another casual listener brought over to hardcore fan, over. Mission accomplished, Little Sawyer out. End Transmission."

Mr Peabody
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah, cleaned the Hemispheres LP today and gave it a spin, it is better than I remembered. The Hemisphere side is actually real good. Also, spun one side of Caress of Steel. i was already driving the monoblocks hard but had to go to 11 on Bastille Day. I also have All The World's A Stage. Although I was enjoying the Rush I wanted to jump into a couple other albums while the table was spinning.

GMichael
11-09-2009, 06:16 AM

also

Points for this post.

Auricauricle
11-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Re 2112: Okay, have tried it on, don't get it. Next coat, please...

GMichael
11-09-2009, 06:47 AM

Keep it spinning.

poppachubby
11-09-2009, 06:50 AM

Have you played it backwards yet?

Auricauricle
11-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Okay, spinning it again....Oh, sheet! The cat just levitated!...She's turning green!!

poppachubby
11-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Okay, spinning it again....Oh, sheet! The cat just levitating...she turning green!!

Now you're getting it, don't sweat it, that's just His Dark Majesty's awesome power...

GMichael
11-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Okay, spinning it again....Oh, sheet! The cat just levitated!...She's turning green!!
OK. Just a few more times and you'll be ready.

Mr MidFi
11-09-2009, 07:12 AM
I like 2112 enough to have bought it. But I would consider it the weakest among the Rush discs I own (not counting live albums, DVDs and compilations)... and possibly one of the most overrated albums of the prog era.

For my money, Moving Pix, Perm Waves, Hemispheres & Farewell to Kings are all superior albums. Probably Signals, too. But that's more like, you know, just my opinion, man.

Auricauricle
11-09-2009, 07:17 AM
When I wuz in college, I had a friend who was real Rush fan: bought everything they had and played nothing but. Now that I am older and wiser, I thought I'd give 'em one more chance. What do y'all reccommend?

poppachubby
11-09-2009, 07:49 AM
When I wuz in college, I had a friend who was real Rush fan: bought everything they had and played nothing but. Now that I am older and wiser, I thought I'd give 'em one more chance. What do y'all reccommend?

Moving Pictures

Troy
11-09-2009, 08:20 AM

Yep, Moving Pictures.

ForeverAutumn
11-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Ditto, Moving Pictures. Also Permanent Waves and A Farewell to Kings.

Cygnus X-1 from A Farewell to Kings is killer (IMO).

Auricauricle
11-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Been giving Moving Pictures a spin....As I write, Vital Signs on. Very nicely recorded, cohesive, vocals more restrained and interesting, more meat, more there....Yeah, I can crank this one! Thanks! Recognized Tom Sawyer immediately. Thanks, Poppa...I'll check out your recs shortly, FA!

ForeverAutumn
11-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Tom Sawyer is one of my favourite songs EVER.

Mr MidFi
11-09-2009, 09:00 AM
After Moving Pix (a true classic), I'd say Permanent Waves next, then Hemispheres, then Farewell. In that order.

GMichael
11-09-2009, 09:09 AM
If you like, "in your face, hard rock" then don't leave out their first record. No Pert, but Rutsey was no slouch either.

poppachubby
11-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Auric...YYZ is one of the best rock instumentals ever. Check Youtube for the Rock in Rio performance. When they play it live it's phenomenal.

For anyone interested heres a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3hJ5-ngUow

Check out the crowd, I get shivers just watching...

Hyfi
11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
If you like, "in your face, hard rock" then don't leave out their first record. No Pert, but Rutsey was no slouch either.

Maybe I could listen to that one all the way thru since Alphalpha is not on it crooning away!

ForeverAutumn
11-09-2009, 10:18 AM
After Moving Pix (a true classic), I'd say Permanent Waves next, then Hemispheres, then Farewell. In that order.

That's chronologically backwards. It's funny that we're all suggesting starting with Moving Pictures and working backwards.

I guess that would mean that we're in agreement that they peaked with Moving Pictures.

GMichael
11-09-2009, 10:24 AM
That's chronologically backwards. It's funny that we're all suggesting starting with Moving Pictures and working backwards.

I guess that would mean that we're in agreement that they peaked with Moving Pictures.

That sounds about right.

The first record was great. Each one after that got better and better till MP. Then they slipped a little each record after that.

Auricauricle
11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Been listening to and enjoying MP nearly all day....It's really quite an album! I certainly enjoy the cut, YYZ, which is reminiscent of some of the way out forays of other prog greats, like Brand X, who just up there and jammed for all its worth and managed, miraculously, to keep their sheep together. The engineering is first rate and listening is a real treat through the phones. This I garnered after checking out YYZ, which plays about everywhere--nasty-groovy stuff if you're impaired....Too early to say if this'll make me a fan, but its certainly in the library....Thanks again, mateys!

frenchmon
11-09-2009, 01:59 PM

You should have seen my fro back in the day....I even had a pick stuck in the back.

frechmon

frenchmon
11-09-2009, 02:01 PM

REO was cool...Riding the storm out!

frenchmon

frenchmon
11-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Jack, I guess I don't get your difference between Boston and Styx or REO. Certainly all are equally as commercial and over played. Too bad the stations don't dig into the Kansas catalog like they should.

Neal Schon and Greg Rollie did a couple of the first Santana albums before leaving to form Journey. They did 3 albums before hiring Perry as front man. You can sort of hear the early influences still on Infinity, which is probably my overall favorite, but as they go on the sound begins to transition more and more. I'm a big Rollie fan, even on Evolution and Departure he does some tasty keyboard. I'd like to talk to one of those guys and ask what was behind Departure. it was pretty much a departure having it's own feel apart from other Journey albums. Some stellar keys on I'm Crying, a great song which I don't think ever hit the radio.

Uh..... Rush.....yeah.... I remember. I think what made 2112 so great is the concept side was equally as good or better than the other side with regular tracks. I'd say equally as good in my book because I like the whole album. Albums like Caress Of Steel and, Hemispheres just wasn't up to par on the concept side.

I loved everything Rush did back in the day....and pot was legal back then...I think...even shared it some cops, musta been legal....me myself, I loved Acapulco gold.:cornut: wont touch the stuff now...to expensive. Rather spend the money on audio gear and CD's.

frenchmon

3LB
11-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Tom Sawyer is one of my favourite songs EVER.

Tom Sawyer is one of those songs that grabbed me from the first time I ever heard it on the radio...I was immediately stopped in my tracks. I think I hawked that same radio station for days hoping to hear it again. Of course, it became a big hit so I didn't have to wait forever. I would eventually have it on tape. I remember the first time I heard that song on a killer stereo. I had already heard the song for weeks and then I heard on a big big system - mindblowing. Rush is one of the few '70s acts that *successfully caught the vibe of new wave music and incorporated into their act and still retained that air of edgy hard rock relevence (maybe The Cars too, if for a couple of albums).

*I guess you could include King Crimson, depending on your definition of the word 'success'

Mr Peabody
11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Auric, do you like any Rush? If you didn't get it on the first spin I don't think others will help.

Smokey
11-09-2009, 11:57 PM

I don't think Journey can be called Prog-rock as they were pretty much main stream from the beginning. That catagory probably belong more to artists like Velvet Underground, Cars or David Bowie.

Finch Platte
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't think Journey can be called Prog-rock as they were pretty much main stream from the beginning. That catagory probably belong more to artists like Velvet Underground, Cars or David Bowie.

Mainstream?!? With those time changes??? Are you our of your Kohoutekin' mind?

Troy
11-10-2009, 12:38 PM

The VU's are prog rock? That's a new one.

Listen to the Journey songs Kohoutek or Mystery Mountain and tell me that's mainstream and not prog.

Finch Platte
11-10-2009, 12:51 PM
The VU's are prog rock? That's a new one.

Listen to the Journey songs Kohoutek or Mystery Mountain and tell me that's mainstream and not prog.

Cars are prog. Lol.

Makes ya wonder what ol' Smokey's been smokin'.

Stone
11-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Even I have a copy of Moving Pictures.

Finch Platte
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Finally, something good in your collection.

ForeverAutumn
11-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Finally, something good in your collection

:thumbsup: to you both. :smile5:

Smokey
11-10-2009, 08:45 PM

I downloaded those two MP3 songs and must say they do sound different. They music is very experimental and to me sound like they trying to find their signature sound as they are all over the place. I guess you can call it progressive for lack of better word :)

They found their sound when Steve Perry took over starting with Infinity album.

Makes ya wonder what ol' Smokey's been smokin'.

Smokin' might be the only way to get thru Journey's first three albums :D

Stone
11-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Finally, something good in your collection.

Yeah, it's a start. What do you recommend I get next? Celine Dion? I know how huge a fan of her you are.

poppachubby
11-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Yeah, it's a start. What do you recommend I get next? Celine Dion? I know how huge a fan of her you are.

What kind of music are you partial to Stone? As a Canadian I should take offense to this attack on Celine Dion. But when I think of all the times I have had to watch Titanic with my wife, and listen to that god damn song...hello vomit.

Stone
11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
What kind of music are you partial to Stone? As a Canadian I should take offense to this attack on Celine Dion. But when I think of all the times I have had to watch Titanic with my wife, and listen to that god damn song...hello vomit.

Hey, I have nothing against Canadians or the artists from there generally; Platinum Blonde is my favorite band ever (okay, not really, but most Canadians I have come into contact with have been very nice).

And it's not so much that I'm partial to a kind of music, it's that I'm not a progger. I've had to put up with Finchy and the proggers around here . . . errr, been around all the fascinating prog discussion for years, and there's long been friendly banter between the proggers and non-proggers.

Oh, and if forced into a corner, I'd say I'm partial to indie rock, punk, and indie pop.

Mr Peabody
11-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Stone you should chat with Nobody. He's into your type of music and has posted some good suggestions on "What's Spinning". I've ended up picking up a couple things I had not heard of before.

ForeverAutumn
11-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Platinum Blonde is my favorite band ever.

lmao! Yeah that's about as likely as you owning a Rush album.

Oh...wait a minute.

Stone
11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Stone you should chat with Nobody. He's into your type of music and has posted some good suggestions on "What's Spinning". I've ended up picking up a couple things I had not heard of before.

Thanks for the advice. Nobody and I do have similar tastes, and have traded music and recommendations for quite some time. Also, he's one of the few boarders I have met IRL.

GMichael
11-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. Nobody and I do have similar tastes, and have traded music and recommendations for quite some time. Also, he's one of the few boarders I have met IRL.

Nobody likes the same music you do?

Troy
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Journey found their sound when Steve Perry took over starting with Infinity album.

I would argue that the lost their sound when Steve Perry joined them!

Finch Platte
11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Nobody likes the same music you do?

Lol, that would be me. ;)

poppachubby
11-11-2009, 06:26 PM
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/religionnaire/artistes/rush/art/permanent_waves.jpg

Just finishing this LP...

Auricauricle
11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Pop: I listened to it for the first time yesterday, somewhat casually. So far, my impressions are that it's a bit more muscular than Moving Pictures....How d'ya like it so far?

bobsticks
11-27-2009, 08:53 PM
It's a shame that we lost Geddy so early and so tragically...

Jack in Wilmington
11-28-2009, 03:39 PM
It's a shame that we lost Geddy so early and so tragically...

Did I miss something?

Finch Platte
11-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Did I miss something?

Nah.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=27717&highlight=geddy+lee

Jack in Wilmington
11-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Nah.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=27717&highlight=geddy+lee

Whew. Thanks, I forgot all about that whole episode.

MasterCylinder
12-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Was this the recording that prompted the description of "Robert Plant on acid" ?

Mr Peabody
12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Was this the recording that prompted the description of "Robert Plant on acid" ?

No, it's the one that prompted Geddy Lee to do a duet album with Alison Kraus

dwayne.aycock
12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
IMO the best recordings new and old are the Steely Dan / Donald ***an tunes. There are layer after layer of cool rhythms, bass licks, smooth drumming and complex keyboard riffs. How can you sit still when listening to "black cow" "jack of speed" "the night fly" and many others. I have been a musician since 1974, and a liver of music all of my life. Maybe I listen just a little deeper that most, or maybe it is the appreciation for the years of hard work and sacrifice that I know "real" musicians put into their craft. Dont mean to be a snob, but how the hell can a rapper or hip hop artist call themselves a musician. Ask yourself this, "where can you find tons and tons of rap and hop hop CDs? Right....the pawn shop for a dollar a piece.

Mr Peabody
12-28-2009, 07:04 PM
IMO the best recordings new and old are the Steely Dan / Donald ***an tunes. There are layer after layer of cool rhythms, bass licks, smooth drumming and complex keyboard riffs. How can you sit still when listening to "black cow" "jack of speed" "the night fly" and many others. I have been a musician since 1974, and a liver of music all of my life. Maybe I listen just a little deeper that most, or maybe it is the appreciation for the years of hard work and sacrifice that I know "real" musicians put into their craft. Dont mean to be a snob, but how the hell can a rapper or hip hop artist call themselves a musician. Ask yourself this, "where can you find tons and tons of rap and hop hop CDs? Right....the pawn shop for a dollar a piece.

And......... this relates to Rush, how? Although thanks for the tip on hop hop. What if a hop hop star sampled Steely Dan, then the hop hop song would be better because it would include the attributes of Steely Dan plus the additional cosmic beats of the hop hop star, right? shizzel! man, now you got me off track too :)