Compare/contrast: HSU VFT-3 MK3 vs Martin Logan Dynamo 700 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Compare/contrast: HSU VFT-3 MK3 vs Martin Logan Dynamo 700

SocialCircle
11-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Based on internet research I have narrowed down my search to these 2 subwoofers. I have read the specs on each. But can anyone compare and contrast the sound of these 2 subwoofers?

My front speakers are Dynaudio 1.3 MKII bookshelf speakers. And my rears are Dynaudio Audience 52 bookshelf speakers. The fronts and center are driven by an ATI amp...I forget the wattage, but it is a 6 channel amp and I have it bridged to drive all 3 front speakers. My Denon A/V 4300 series receiver drives the rears. The room is 24x15 and has two large openings with no doors. A sub would fit perfectly in the front corner away from the openings. I do have room to move the sub about 3-4 feet away from the wall if necessary.

I want a sub that is musical mainly, but also adds something to my movie watching experience as well.

I am leaning towards the Martin Logan simply because it has an optional wireless transmitter and I know that would please my wife. And there is a local dealer who could come out and help me set it up properly. I have never had a sub and don't know much about setting one up.

However, the wiring is not a deal breaker if I went with the HSU and I understand they have great customer service and could likely walk me through the set up.

Any thoughts? Can anyone who has listened to both compare and contrast?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Based on internet research I have narrowed down my search to these 2 subwoofers. I have read the specs on each. But can anyone compare and contrast the sound of these 2 subwoofers?

My front speakers are Dynaudio 1.3 MKII bookshelf speakers. And my rears are Dynaudio Audience 52 bookshelf speakers. The fronts and center are driven by an ATI amp...I forget the wattage, but it is a 6 channel amp and I have it bridged to drive all 3 front speakers. My Denon A/V 4300 series receiver drives the rears. The room is 24x15 and has two large openings with no doors. A sub would fit perfectly in the front corner away from the openings. I do have room to move the sub about 3-4 feet away from the wall if necessary.

I want a sub that is musical mainly, but also adds something to my movie watching experience as well.

I am leaning towards the Martin Logan simply because it has an optional wireless transmitter and I know that would please my wife. And there is a local dealer who could come out and help me set it up properly. I have never had a sub and don't know much about setting one up.

However, the wiring is not a deal breaker if I went with the HSU and I understand they have great customer service and could likely walk me through the set up.

Any thoughts? Can anyone who has listened to both compare and contrast?

I am not quite sold on wireless just yet as I don't really feel like they have mastered noise rejection just yet. It is getting there, but not quite the home run.

One thing no matter which you choose is that you are going to need two of them for a open floor plan 24x15' room. Two subs located in both front corners will have a smoother response over more seats than just one. Having just one does not give you a lot of headroom for bass peaks, but two will. Your chances of over driving one in this size room is quite high, but quite less with two.

From what I have gleaned on the Dynamo, it is very good with music, but tends to fail on very demanding film soundtracks. I read one reviewer (non professional) who claim this sub woofer extended down to 18hz. I would have to hear this for myself, as it would require a sealed cabinet size far larger, or quite a bit of low frequency boost(via the amp) to achieve this. A 10" driver would have problems getting this low without a lot of distortion and driver stress.

On the other hand, my experience with the HSU sub showed me that this sub is extremely capable with both music and movies. The variable tuning (hence the VT) allows you to adjust the subs capabilities for both music and movies, and that is a big plus. Since I am not a lover of ported subs, I should naturally gravitate towards the dynamo. But in this case, I would choose the VTF for its flexibility alone.

Both subs are competent performers, but my vote goes to the HSU on this one.

blackraven
11-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I really like the ML dynamo, its a non-ported sub, very musical with very controlled tight bass.It does go down very low, i'm not sure if it can reach 18Hz I think the 10" goes down to 24Hz with the low pass filter down to 35Hz. Being non ported it probably could use a little more power. But I think the new dynamo series that you are looking at puts out a continuous 300watts of power. I think that they are one of the best buys in a sub under $1k. No muddy or boomy bass.

My first choice would probably be the more expensive Velodyne Optimum series, non ported, very high power and it comes with a mic and equalizer as well as a remote control to do all your adjustments. http://www.velodyne.com/products/specs/OptimumSpecs.html

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=110892

Worf101
11-05-2009, 05:39 AM
I've heard many Martin Logan offerings, theirs a M.L. enthusiast/nut who lives me on the R.P.I. Campus. He doesn't own any M.L. subs oddly enough so I won't rate what I haven't heard or don't own. HSU on the other hand I've heard, I own and I heartily endorse. I've a VTF 2 and VTF 3 (first generations) that' have been doing me right for almsot 10 years. and they're used DAILY. The VTF 3 I own does good "double duty" for music and movies and excells at both. Not as 'versatile" as more recent models but she carry's on like a champ after all these years.

If the HSU is reliable they're also accessable as they've answered every singe question I've eer had promptly and satisfactorily. I couldn't recommend a product more highly.

Da Worfster

harley .guy07
11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
In my opinion the Martin Logan would probably edge out in sound quality for music but the HSU would have the well rounded game won. If you are mainly concerned with music I would probably look at the M.L. But HSU has one heck of a reputation for quality subwoofers. Another company I would look at would be SVS, they just came out on top of the ratings of one of the publications I read and they specialize in subs. But the main thing is I would want to try to hear them before purchase if it is at all posible.

blackraven
11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
The bottom line is that there are a lot of good subs out there. They will all do a good job. I'm partial to non-ported subs because they tend to be more musical, have tighter bass (thats not to say you can't get nice tight bass with a ported sub), and and match better with my Magnepan and Martin Logan speakers. All the above brands are excellent.

SocialCircle
11-27-2009, 06:54 PM
I listened to the Martin Logan Dynamo and thought I would need two for a room the size of my room. So I just ordered the HSU Research VFT-3 MK3 because it appears I might have a chance to need only one of this sub. Again thanks for your advise!!

RoadRunner6
11-28-2009, 01:55 AM
You made the correct choice. Actually you were comparing apples and oranges so to speak. On one hand you had a mini cube ML sub weighing 26.5 lbs with an enclosure volume of 1938 cu in. On the other hand you had a 75-80lb plus HSU sub with an enclosure volume of 9137 cu in, over 4 and a half times larger than the ML.

These two subs are not even in the same ballpark. The little Martin Logan subs are fine subs for reasonable levels. The Dynamo 500 has been a great little sub for music in smaller systems and rooms. But there is no way on this planet that the ML 700 would match the low end extension with the volume output and the low distortion of the HSU VTF3-MK3 if you plan to play at louder volumes especially with movies in your size room. There might very well be some lower volume levels where the bass reproduction of the ML700 at mid to higher sub frequencies might possibly be more musical. In the room of your size with a single sub the HSU is a no-brainer IMO. Keep the sub slightly (3-12" or more) away from the corner and the wall for the flattest and most defined bass.

The blending of the sub and your Dynaudio's is critical. Be sure you have the Dynaudio's set as "small" and the crossover on your pre-pro to about 80Hz and the crossover on the HSU bypassed. Call HSU for step by step instructions if the owner's manual is not clear :D

SocialCircle
11-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I did speak with the service tech folks at HSU Research prior to ordering the sub. They said they would indeed walk me through the set up. I was wondering how far from the corner to set it up. Thanks for that info!!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-29-2009, 03:08 PM
You made the correct choice. Actually you were comparing apples and oranges so to speak. On one hand you had a mini cube ML sub weighing 26.5 lbs with an enclosure volume of 1938 cu in. On the other hand you had a 75-80lb plus HSU sub with an enclosure volume of 9137 cu in, over 4 and a half times larger than the ML.

These two subs are not even in the same ballpark. The little Martin Logan subs are fine subs for reasonable levels. The Dynamo 500 has been a great little sub for music in smaller systems and rooms. But there is no way on this planet that the ML 700 would match the low end extension with the volume output and the low distortion of the HSU VTF3-MK3 if you plan to play at louder volumes especially with movies in your size room. There might very well be some lower volume levels where the bass reproduction of the ML700 at mid to higher sub frequencies might possibly be more musical. In the room of your size with a single sub the HSU is a no-brainer IMO. Keep the sub slightly (3-12" or more) away from the corner and the wall for the flattest and most defined bass.

The blending of the sub and your Dynaudio's is critical. Be sure you have the Dynaudio's set as "small" and the crossover on your pre-pro to about 80Hz and the crossover on the HSU bypassed. Call HSU for step by step instructions if the owner's manual is not clear :D

RR, keeping the sub away from the corners is not going to produce the flattest bass. Tom Nousaine did considerable testing of subwoofers in different rooms of different sizes, and found that flattest frequency response was in the corner of the room. Pulling it out from the corner produced a LF penalty which causes the sub to work harder, require more power, and introduced more distortion.

SocialCircle
11-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Sir, I'll try it both ways and see what works best to my ears.