Need Bookshelf Speaker Advise [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Bookshelf Speaker Advise

axelsrd
11-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a Marantz 2230 arriving tomorrow and would like some recommendation on bookshelf's to match. I have a pair of Klipsch RB-35's but one of them is shorted out and I am looking to replace them.

Thanks in advance
Randy

blackraven
11-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Whats your budget?

For sub $1k in the $600-1K range I like B&W 685's, NHT Classic 3's, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio RX2 and RS2. The new RX2 has an 8" woofer in a bookshelf. I havent hear it but if its as good as the RS2 it replaces then its a winner.

For sub $600 speakers look at the B&W 686's, NHT Classic 2's, Energy 200's PSB b-15's and b-25's.

JohnMichael
11-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Good suggestions blackraven. A new bookshelf speaker that I have only read about and think it would be worth a listen is the Epos ELS8. The October Absolute Sound has a great review of the ELS8.

If you are placing them on stands I would shop for Monitor Audio's RS 6. They just came out with the RX 6 but there is nothing wrong with the RS 6. Good bass and incredible sound. Since they are being discontinued you should find them at a good price.

If you like a forward sound you might want to check out the Ascend CBM 170 SE's. They are available only through the internet and I have a pair. They are fine for some music but being forward sounding they were not a universal speaker for me. Well made and inexpensive.

Good luck with your shopping.

axelsrd
11-03-2009, 06:19 PM
$500/$600 is about right. I was really just wondering what speaks would the 2230 be able to handle. This is just a 2 channel casual (maybe sometimes loud) listening and for needledrops. But I do want the best sound I can get for the money.

Hyfi
11-03-2009, 06:37 PM
After just listening to my rears as mains, I would recommend a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42s if you can still get a pair. Although they would like a little more juice, they would still sound fantastic with your new piece.

A good review here -> http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/dynaudio42_e.html

I also just heard a small pair of Epos on Sunday. Not sure of the model as they were several years old. Very nice sound for a small speaker.

The ELS8 looks nice at $495 a pair list. The M5i lists for $800 but I'm sure can be had for closer to 6 if you try.

poppachubby
11-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Tannoy. Check out the Fusion 2...

LeRoy
11-03-2009, 06:56 PM
MORDAUNT SHORT Avant 902i Bookshelf Speakers
Our Price: $225.00
http://www.accessories4less.com/

I'm like a broken record on this topic. Until I hear another speaker that can outperform the M.S. 902i for same or nearly the same money...I am always going to highly recommend this speaker.

If you would prefer a more current product in the M.S. line up then consider the Aviano series, Aviano 1 or Aviano 2. Check them out at http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/

Check on the reviews on the M.S. website
http://www.mordauntshort.com/default.php

Good luck shopping and with your selection.

LeRoy

axelsrd
11-04-2009, 05:04 AM
When I consider a speaker, does Ohms (impedance rating) matter. I have always used 8 Ohm speaks in the past. What does 4 or 6 Ohm rating do to the likes of the 2230?

Couch Potato Grouch
11-04-2009, 05:33 AM
Paradigm Studio 20s...Great sounding speakers and lots of detail

02audionoob
11-04-2009, 05:51 AM
When I consider a speaker, does Ohms (impedance rating) matter. I have always used 8 Ohm speaks in the past. What does 4 or 6 Ohm rating do to the likes of the 2230?

Using speakers with a 4 or 6 Ohm rating should be fine but it might make the receiver run hotter. It's somewhat similar to running two sets of speakers. I would not use both sets of speaker outputs with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers, but there shouldn't be a problem with one quality 4 Ohm pair.

Geoffcin
11-04-2009, 06:23 AM
$500/$600 is about right. I was really just wondering what speaks would the 2230 be able to handle. This is just a 2 channel casual (maybe sometimes loud) listening and for needledrops. But I do want the best sound I can get for the money.

The 2230 is a neat classic Marantz piece, but with just 30wpc it does not have much power compared to modern equipment. A lot of the new speakers coming out now would be semi-difficult for your receiver to drive to realistic levels without distortion. I drive me little 4 ohm rated JM Lab monitors with a 50wpc intergrated amp, but the amp is quite robust with it's power rating doubling to 100wpc into 4ohm. Your receiver wasn't designed to do that. So, I would stick with speakers that have a relatively high efficiency, say 89dB/watt and a nominal rating of 8ohm or higher.

02audionoob
11-04-2009, 11:04 AM
It is very common and even consistent that the Marantz gear from the 70's produces more power than its rating. The receiver is designed to run two pairs of speakers. Why wouldn't it run one pair of 4 or 6 Ohm speakers?

frenchmon
11-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I have a Marantz 2230 arriving tomorrow and would like some recommendation on bookshelf's to match. I have a pair of Klipsch RB-35's but one of them is shorted out and I am looking to replace them.

Thanks in advance
Randy

Heres a speaker that not only looks good, and sounds great but you get a great discounted price as well.

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=100&products_id=11545

Geoffcin
11-04-2009, 11:23 AM
It is very common and even consistent that the Marantz gear from the 70's produces more power than its rating. The receiver is designed to run two pairs of speakers. Why wouldn't it run one pair of 4 or 6 Ohm speakers?

It's all about stress. While your right that back in the 70's Marantz gear was underrated power wise (to get better THD readings) do you really want to stress this vintage piece with a difficult to drive speaker? Filter caps, and power transformers do age. After 30+ years you cannot expect them to stand up ad perform to the same kind of specs as new. That these units still can PLAY is a testament to their great build quality, why abuse them now in their golden years? Especially when good high efficiency/high resistance speakers are available.

02audionoob
11-04-2009, 11:31 AM
It's all about stress. While your right that back in the 70's Marantz gear was underrated power wise (to get better THD readings) do you really want to stress this vintage piece with a difficult to drive speaker? Filter caps, and power transformers do age. After 30+ years you cannot expect them to stand up ad perform to the same kind of specs as new. That these units still can PLAY is a testament to their great build quality, why abuse them now in their golden years? Especially when good high efficiency/high resistance speakers are available.

I've had first-hand experience with the Marantz gear, including the 2325 receiver that I still use quite often. I'd just say I would disagree with calling it abuse. I wouldn't call it golden years, either.

Geoffcin
11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Call it what you like, but if you hook it up to a pair of maggies and go to town you'll be calling the repair tech.

Geoffcin
11-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I've got a soft spot for vintage speakers. Why not keep things retro and get a pair of classic speakers too?

blackraven
11-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I didnt realize that the Marantz was only 30wpc. I would be looking at some efficient speakers. Forget about the Monitor audio's. They like power, so do B&W's and dynaudio.

I would give these a listen http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-B6-Bookshelf

Or check here for last years PSB image models the B-15 and B-25 The recommended minimum power for the B-25 is 10wpc and should be a good match for that marantz.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/ The B-25's are a bargain at this price!

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1204psb/

Or look to some Paradigms as mentioned above.

poppachubby
11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I didnt realize that the Marantz was only 30wpc. I would be looking at some efficient speakers.

Not a knock to you BR, just that you are the first person to really point this out. Geoff pointed out it's vintage too.

Personally, I think too much is being thrown at this poor guy. He asked about ohmage and now must contend with several opinions rather than some straight up facts.

Hey Alex, for a newer speaker, I think Tannoy is a nice match for your Marantz, Fusion 2 to be specific.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/images/tannoy-fusion-2-speakers-front-main.jpg

I kind of agree with Geoff, I like to keep it old school. I have a Marantz 1515, it rocks a pair of 8-ohm Avant 715. These are a poor man's Dynaco.

I have to say Geoff, if a vintage amp hasn't had any maintenance then I agree with you. All of my amps are vintage and although I listen at low levels, they can all kick out the jams. I think pushing them every once in a while, combined with regular use at more normal levels, keeps any vintage amp in good health. As far as weakening internal components, can't worry about it...take it as it comes.

E-Stat
11-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I The receiver is designed to run two pairs of speakers. Why wouldn't it run one pair of 4 or 6 Ohm speakers?
Having separate A and B speaker switching does not necessarily mean they were intended to be used at the same time. The 2230 only has a pair of output devices per channel. Some Carver power amps, for example, explicitly tell you NOT to do that. For modern HT receivers, the option is there to alternately drive a two channel system in another room.

I, too would be careful.

rw

Geoffcin
11-04-2009, 02:42 PM
As far as I know there's only one man left standing making vintage speakers for sale.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/human/products.htm

I recommend the 81's.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/human/images/81a-lg.jpg

audio amateur
11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I'll add the Polk Audio LSi9 to add to the confusion

poppachubby
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Great post Geoff. My buddy actually did business with this guy. He has Genesis II speakers and sent them to him to get jazzed up. I never really checked out his site though, great stuff. How about that inhuman huh?

http://www.humanspeakers.com/human/images/inhuman2-R.jpg

02audionoob
11-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Personally, I think too much is being thrown at this poor guy. He asked about ohmage and now must contend with several opinions rather than some straight up facts.

How can you not get several opinions when you ask something as open-ended as this topic? Where are your facts, chubbs? ...said in the friendliest, most charming tone I can muster today, ol' buddy.

Call it what you like, but if you hook it up to a pair of maggies and go to town you'll be calling the repair tech.

I'll refrain from pursuing the the argument on the 4 and 6 Ohm speakers, based on the numbers of people in this thread against it. But no one suggested cranking up a pair of Maggies.

poppachubby
11-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Where are your facts, chubbs?

I come baring just the speaker facts noob. If you start at the beginning of the thread you'll see what I mean. It's not just the ohm talk, for some reason this thread just seems really chaotic. Anyhow man, I've got MSN on if you want to chat...

axelsrd
11-05-2009, 04:20 PM
OK guys, relax. As it turns out (thankfully) my RB-35's are not shorted out like I thought they were. I hadn't tightened the binding post enough and one of the speaker wires had released from the post. Tightened it up and everything sounds wonderful. Thanks to all for the suggestions though. I am surprised that no one mentioned Axioms. I was considering those at one time as well, or are they not a favorite around here?

Randy

Geoffcin
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
OK guys, relax. As it turns out (thankfully) my RB-35's are not shorted out like I thought they were. I hadn't tightened the binding post enough and one of the speaker wires had released from the post. Tightened it up and everything sounds wonderful. Thanks to all for the suggestions though. I am surprised that no one mentioned Axioms. I was considering those at one time as well, or are they not a favorite around here?

Randy

Hi Randy,

I've owned Axioms, and they are far and away a great value. I also measure >107dB in room with the M22! However, for your budget you could go all the way up to their floorstanders, and since you were looking for standmounts/bookshelf speakers I didn't even consider them. Also, the M22 was designed specifically for use with a sub and is flat into the bass, where another small standmount would have the ubiquitous bass "hump" that makes it APPEAR to have more bass.

audio amateur
11-06-2009, 03:07 AM
I come baring just the speaker facts noob. If you start at the beginning of the thread you'll see what I mean. It's not just the ohm talk, for some reason this thread just seems really chaotic. Anyhow man, I've got MSN on if you want to chat...
You got msn? shoot me a PM so I can add you:) and you noob. And anyone else for that matter!

02audionoob
11-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Just because I happen to want to, I will now quote the manual for the 2230, which I downloaded from the Hi-Fi Engine library.

LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEMS

The SPEAKER SYSTEMS terminals on the rear
panel will accommodate two stereo pairs of
loudspeaker systems of rated impedance between 4
ohms and 16 ohms. When using only one stereo
pair of loudspeakers, connect them to the MAIN
terminals. The REMOTE terminals are for a second
stereo pair of loudspeakers.

For those of you who know better than Marantz themselves, you're welcome to argue the point.

E-Stat
11-12-2009, 05:42 AM
For those of you who know better than Marantz themselves, you're welcome to argue the point.
I wish you the best of luck running that amp with the 2 ohm load of simultaneous parallel 4 ohm connections. :)

rw

02audionoob
11-12-2009, 07:13 AM
I wish you the best of luck running that amp with the 2 ohm load of simultaneous parallel 4 ohm connections. :)

rw

I'll keep a fire extingisher on hand, just in case.