PDA

View Full Version : Making fun of Prog Rock

Troy
11-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Cracked Magazine:

http://www.cracked.com/funny-2359-progressive-rock/

Auricauricle
11-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Um, I'll take Whacky Intruments for one, Alex! (Pant, pant...)

ForeverAutumn
11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Where can I order that Mushroom Sword album? It looks killer!!!

kexodusc
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Rammstein...legends of retard metal. lol

I've never heard of "Focus", but I believe you old-timers when you say the drugs were better in the 70's.

That was too funny.

Hyfi
11-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I've never heard of "Focus", but I believe you old-timers when you say the drugs were better in the 70's.

Didn't need drugs to appreciate the talents of Focus. This Van Leer is/was a top guitarist who never got the props he deserved. Find an old compilation album called Dutchmasters for a good intro.

The Heroin was not as pure, the Acid was better, and some of today's California and homegrown rival the weed of the 70s.

Mr MidFi
11-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I saw this on Fark this morning. Very funny stuff, indeed.

Finch Platte
11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Pretty damn funny. Thanks for Sharon.

Rich-n-Texas
11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
"Hocus Pocus" by Focus was a favorite driving song many many years ago. That live version does the song no justice whatsoever.

3LB
11-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Might be the funniest thing I've read all year. Instant classic.

The only thing they left out about the major drawback of prog rock success was derth of female fans and over-abundance of fat middle-aged men who'll want to hang out with you after each and every festival (the only regular gig you'll ever get).

Javier
11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
But your feat will not be complete until you make sure that yech reads this Troy.

unleasHell
11-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Didn't need drugs to appreciate the talents of Focus. This Van Leer is/was a top guitarist who never got the props he deserved. Find an old compilation album called Dutchmasters for a good intro.

The Heroin was not as pure, the Acid was better, and some of today's California and homegrown rival the weed of the 70s.

Pardon this slight correction, but I believe Jan Akkerman was the Focus guitarist while Thijs played flute, keyboards and yodeled....

3LB
11-05-2009, 05:43 AM
Pardon this slight correction, but I believe Jan Akkerman was the Focus guitarist while Thijs played flute, keyboards and yodeled....

I thought the drummer yodelled (it sounds like something a drummer would do).

Hyfi
11-05-2009, 06:58 AM

Good catch......

Biography

Van Leer went on to release many solo albums which were also classical music and jazz based.

His main instruments are flute and different types of organs. He also sings, yodels and whistles.

Van Leer received his first flute at the age of eleven from his father, a classical flautist. He studied History of Art at Amsterdam University; after when he began studying flute and composition at the Amsterdam Conservatorium. He received a degree for flute from Geneva Conservatoire and also studied piano, orchestration (with Rogier van Otterloo) and organ (with Anthon van der Horst).

While still at school, van Leer led a jazz group on piano. He went on to play the flute and sing with the Shaffy cabaret group. In 1969 he joined Martijn Dresden (bass) and Hans Cleuver (drums) to form a trio that covered songs by Traffic and backed other Dutch musicians, as well as playing their own material. Later in the year guitarist Jan Akkerman joined, completing the initial line-up of Focus. They released several albums in the early 1970s.

Van Leer headed Focus through several line-up changes, and by 1977 he was the only remaining original member. The group disbanded in 1978. In 1985, van Leer briefly reunited with Akkerman to make Focus 1985. In 2002, van Leer created a new Focus line-up, which has since released the albums Focus 8 and Focus 9 / New Skin. A British tour was undertaken in spring 2006.

Auricauricle
11-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the write-up....I'll have to llok 'em up: never heard Hocus Pocus before...The guy's yodeling kinda reminds me of Shawn Phillips (four octaves, I've heard).

Swish
11-08-2009, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=3LB]I thought the drummer yodelled (it sounds like something a drummer would do).[/QUOTE

:D

Swish
11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
..it was more a spot on description of prog and it's followers. :)

3LB
11-09-2009, 11:44 AM
..it was more a spot on description of prog and it's followers. :)

that was so funny, I forgot the Phillies choked :lol:

ForeverAutumn
11-09-2009, 11:48 AM
that was so funny, I forgot the Phillies choked :lol:

:D :thumbsup: