Sears’ Black Friday Deals [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sears’ Black Friday Deals

Smokey
11-02-2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.electronichouse.com/images/uploads/sears_black_friday.jpg

Black Friday is on Nov. 27, 2009 and door opens at 4:00am. For complete list, link below.

Doorbusters prices marked with *:

DVD Players
Curtis DVD Player AR - $17.99 *
GPX 8” Portabe DVD Player PD808BU - $79.99
GPX BD707B DVD/CD Boom Box w/7” LCD Display - $99.99 *
Magnavox DVD Player With VCR (Model DV225MG9) - $49.99 *
Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player (Model BD-P1600-A) - $149.99
Sony Blu-ray Disc Player (Model #BDPS360) - $149.99
Sony DVD Player DVP-SR200P - $34.99
Sylvania 7” Portable DVD Player (Model SDVD7015) - $49.99 *

Home Theater
Panasonic Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Model SC-BT200) - $399.99 *
RCA 5.1 Channel 250 Watt Home Theater System RTD317 - $99.99
Samsung 5.1 Channel 1000 Watt Single Disc HT-Z320 DVD Home Theater System - $197.99 *
Samsung Blu-ray Home Theater System (Model HT-BD1250) - $397.99
Sony Bravia 5.1 Channel 1000 Watt Integrated Home Theater System DAV-HDX589 - $329.99

Television
AOC 32” Full HD LCD TV - $379.99
Audiovox Under Cabinet Kitchen 7” LCD DVD Clock Radio - $179.99
Eviant 7” Hand Held TV - $89.99
LG 55” LCD HDTV (Model 55LH40) - $1499.99
Panasonic 42” Class Plasma HDTV - $649.99 *
Panasonic 54” Plasma HDTV (Model #TC-P54G10) - $1499.99
Proscan 40” Class LCD HDTV (Model #40LC45Q) - $539.99 *
Samsung 22” Class LCD HDTV (Model #LN22B350) - $249.99 *
Samsung 40” Class 1080p LCD HDTV (Model #LN40B500) - $599.99 *
Samsung 40” LED HDTV UN40B6000 - $1399.99
Samsung 42” Plasma HDTV PN42B400 - $549.99
Samsung 46” 1080P Class LCD HDTV (Model LN46B500) - $899.99 *
Samsung 46” Class LCD HDTV (Model LN46B650) - $1309.99 *
Samsung 46” LED HDTV (Model UN46B6000) - $1599.99
Samsung 50” Class Plasma HDTV (Model PN50B430) - $699.99 *
Samsung 50” Plasma HDTV (Model PN50B530) - $899.99
Samsung 55” LED HDTV (Model UN55B6000) - $2469.99
Sharp 19” Class LCD HDTV (Model LC19SB27UT) - $179.99 *
Sony 32” Class LCD HDTV (Model KDL-32L504) - $379.99 *
Sony 40” Class LCD HDTV (Model KDL40S504) - $664.99 *
Sony 46” Class LCD HDTV (Model KDL-46S504) - $854.99 *
Sony 46” LCD HDTV (Model KDL46V5100) - $1239.99
Sony 52” LCD HDTV (Model KDL52V5100) - $1599.99
Toshiba 40” 1080P Class LCD HDTV (Model 40RV525U/R) - $589.99 *
Vizio 32” ECO HDTV (Model VO320E) - $349.99
Zenith 42” Class Plasma HDTV (Model #Z42PO2) - $499.99 *

Video Games
2-Pack Wii or DS Games - $14.99 *
2-Pack Xbox-360 Games or PS3 Games - $24.99 *
3-Pack PS2 Games - $9.99 *
Biggest Loser (Wii) - $29.99
Facebreak (Xbox 360) - $14.99
Guitar Hero World Tour For PS2, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3 - $49.99 *
Halo ODST (Xbox 360) - $39.99
Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360) - $39.99
Nerf Racing Wheel Wii - $9.99
Nintendo DS Games - $19.99 *
Nintendo DS Games - $29.99 *
Nintendo Wii w/Nerf Racing Wheel - $199.99
Playstation 3 120GB - $299.99
PS3 Blu-Ray Remote - $24.99
TNA Impact (PS3) - $14.99
Various Video Games - $14.99 or Under
Xbox 360 Elite Bundle - $299.99
Xbox Live 12 Month Gold Card - $49.99

http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/sears-black-friday-ad.html

harley .guy07
11-02-2009, 10:50 PM
the Television prices are more of my interest out of the intems you mentioned and it looks like their prices for the models I have looked at are pretty good. The Samsung LED tv is a good tv and have looked at it several times and thought it was a very impressive tv for the money. I have been looking for a tv upgrade at some point in the future and it seems that Samsung as a company has really shown that they are serious about being one of the best tv's out there especially for the money spent. They seem to out pace everything I have seen with out going to the upper high end level and spending 5000 thousand or more for a tv which is fine but me being more of an audio guy the Samsung tv's are about the level where I would be happy with.

poppachubby
11-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Man you yanks are lucky, I wish we had Black Friday. It certainly doesn't seem to black to me. My wife goes across the border some years to fight with other women over cheap products. She has some pretty good stories, people willing to die for that door crasher deal.

I'm hoping her and her girlfriend's go this year, I want her to find me a couple of external HD's. They usually go to Detroit...

Smokey
11-03-2009, 07:49 PM
the Television prices are more of my interest out of the intems you mentioned and it looks like their prices for the models I have looked at are pretty good. The Samsung LED tv is a good tv and have looked at it several times and thought it was a very impressive tv for the money.

Samsung seem to be kicking a$$ when it comes to LCD. Every faceoff I seen, Samsung or Sony seem to top the chart. Also Samsung give users more tweaking options (such as color temprature) than other LCD TVs.

But be carefull if buying from Sears, there will be restocking fee (15%) if you return the TV.

My wife goes across the border some years to fight with other women over cheap products. She has some pretty good stories, people willing to die for that door crasher deal.

It is actually a riot. Poeple will camp out the night before around the store in the cold so they be first one thru the door. And once the door open, it is a stampede, shoving and grabbing.

The problem is store do not have huge inventory of doorbuster items, so once they are gone that is it as there are no rain check.

rob_a
11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
I think this door crashing, riot, all out war, tradition is totally cr@p! I think some one has to be sick in the head to run over and hurting or in some cases killing another person in the name of cheap goods. I will wait for a sale at another time of the year and I always stay away form the 4am sales :nonod:

harley .guy07
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah that day is kinda crazy to go anywhere. If I can get away with it I won't go a damn place on Black friday. I will just chill at the house and crank the tunes.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Be careful of those LED backlighting TV's. The have a very noticeable problem with halo's around highly contrasted objects on a dark background. It is very noticeable, and once you spot it, it will bother you forever.

Woochifer
11-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Some decent prices there, primarily for the TVs. The BD player prices are already close to those price points already. And the price on the PS3 Blu-ray remote isn't discounted at all.

That 54" Panny is a pretty good deal because that model comes from their highly rated G10 series and normally sells $2,000. Costco also has a 54" Panny in stock for $1,500, but that model is from the S14 series that recently got panned for its color processing on CNET.

Be careful of those LED backlighting TV's. The have a very noticeable problem with halo's around highly contrasted objects on a dark background. It is very noticeable, and once you spot it, it will bother you forever.

Does that issue also affect the edge-lit LED LCDs?

I know that the haloing occurs with the sequential local dimming LED models, and with certain types of images (like starfield backgrounds), the objects get obscured altogether because the processor interprets those low level images as completely dark.

Worf101
11-05-2009, 05:28 AM
I've an ex-girlfriend I'm sitll friends with, she's about as technically challenged as they come. I'm slowly pushing her in the current Century. I bought her her first "real" sound system an open box Onkyo 2 channel and 5 disc player about 9 years ago. She stil has it. Finally she called me and tells me she just bought her first home and her T.V. is too small to see. Her T.V. was a 19 inch portable she was trying to see from 17 feet away...

Needless to say your B.F. information came in handy. I used these prices and models to check online prices. By Monday she'll have a brand new 37" LG HDTV in her living room. I'll front her an old entry level Onkyo HT receiver and some lay around speakers, should be able to get her to 4.0 but the sub will have to wait. Thanks again for the information.

Dave

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Does that issue also affect the edge-lit LED LCDs?

I know that the haloing occurs with the sequential local dimming LED models, and with certain types of images (like starfield backgrounds), the objects get obscured altogether because the processor interprets those low level images as completely dark.

It does not effect edge lit, just local dimming models. The best test I could find that really showcased the problem was Star Trek Generations. There are several scenes of space with both bright stars and dimmer ones. On the Cell based Sony XBRpro (which uses The “Triluminos” full-array LED backlight local dimming but with thousands more LED lights) the stars are perfectly rendered with a perfect delineation of bright and dimmer stars. On the top of the line 55" Samsung (another LED backlit with fewer LED's), the bright stars are very dim, and the dimmer stars non existent. Another occurrence of the weakness of the new LED backlit Samsung's is when you have a completely dark background, with a bright section anywhere on the panel. There are halo's around the bright areas that are very noticeable, instead of just rendering the white spot in the black background.

Since the local dimming is based on APL, the Samsung television's processing dimmed brighter stars, and eliminated the dimmer ones altogether. On the XBRpro, the Cell based video processing and the additional LED lights captures the scene perferctly. I do not think it is the LED technology itself that causes the problem, I think they just need to add more backlit LED's to the panel, and more individual control of those lights. I think the Samsung uses about 1,000 white LED arranged in rows that cover the panel. The Samsung controls their backlighting in blocks of 10 LED's. The XBRpro uses close to 6,000 LED lights arranged in cluster of four with three colors, two green, one red and one blue. Instead of controlling the lights in groups, the XBR controls the clusters individually, which mean deep darker blacks (Kuros blacks), no halos, and a much wider color gamut than Samsung can achieve.

Edge lit panels can perceptively increase the contrast, but it also limits the viewing angle that one can watch. If you have two people sitting close together, it is not likely they will see the same contrast or color from their individual seating positions.

Mr Peabody
11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Amazon is selling the Panasonic dmp-80 for under $160.00 NOW.

Smokey
11-05-2009, 10:11 PM
By Monday she'll have a brand new 37" LG HDTV in her living room.

What made you decide on a LG TV?

I do not think it is the LED technology itself that causes the problem, I think they just need to add more backlit LED's to the panel, and more individual control of those lights.

If they are going to do that, Samsung might as well take a step further and and like Sony use three LEDs cluster instead of single white LED with color filter. As you said, it will give Samsung more accurate color gamut.

Worf101
11-06-2009, 06:46 AM
I did a little research and the LG's were on a big time sale on New Egg, almost half the list price. LG's aren't Samsungs, but they ain't Vizio's either. To me they represent a "sweet spot" for second system LCD's or entry level buyers. Plus its what she could afford best. We ordered it on Tuesday, UPS delivered it on Thursday, it don't friggin git no better than that!!!!

Da Worfster

Woochifer
11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
It does not effect edge lit, just local dimming models. The best test I could find that really showcased the problem was Star Trek Generations. There are several scenes of space with both bright stars and dimmer ones. On the Cell based Sony XBRpro (which uses The “Triluminos” full-array LED backlight local dimming but with thousands more LED lights) the stars are perfectly rendered with a perfect delineation of bright and dimmer stars. On the top of the line 55" Samsung (another LED backlit with fewer LED's), the bright stars are very dim, and the dimmer stars non existent. Another occurrence of the weakness of the new LED backlit Samsung's is when you have a completely dark background, with a bright section anywhere on the panel. There are halo's around the bright areas that are very noticeable, instead of just rendering the white spot in the black background.

Since the local dimming is based on APL, the Samsung television's processing dimmed brighter stars, and eliminated the dimmer ones altogether. On the XBRpro, the Cell based video processing and the additional LED lights captures the scene perferctly. I do not think it is the LED technology itself that causes the problem, I think they just need to add more backlit LED's to the panel, and more individual control of those lights. I think the Samsung uses about 1,000 white LED arranged in rows that cover the panel. The Samsung controls their backlighting in blocks of 10 LED's. The XBRpro uses close to 6,000 LED lights arranged in cluster of four with three colors, two green, one red and one blue. Instead of controlling the lights in groups, the XBR controls the clusters individually, which mean deep darker blacks (Kuros blacks), no halos, and a much wider color gamut than Samsung can achieve.

Interesting. Seems like a lot of workarounds needed to resolve the issues created by the local dimming, which is a feature designed to resolve other issues in the first place.

My understanding is that the Samsung has around 200 individual dimming zones controlled by the video processor. Reviews I've seen of the Samsung indicate that those relatively large dimming zones bleed light from one zone to another, and that creates the halo effect and also creates those dark zones where images like starfields go completely black.

Edge lit panels can perceptively increase the contrast, but it also limits the viewing angle that one can watch. If you have two people sitting close together, it is not likely they will see the same contrast or color from their individual seating positions.

The reviews I read of last year's local dimming Samsung and Sony's XBR8 models indicated that those models also had problems with narrow viewing angles. Seems that the LED-backlit TVs in general have narrower viewing angles. Then again, I always thought that the biggest difference with the viewing angle between LCDs was whether they used a TN, PVA, or IPS panel (with IPS providing the widest viewing angle). As far as I know, only Panasonic and Sharp use IPS panels across the board, while everybody else mixes and matches.