To buy or not to buy new DVD player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy new DVD player

Dsousley
03-25-2004, 06:06 PM
I am upgrading my home audio system. I have an Arcam AVR200 receiver, Klipsch RF 7 speakers and an NHT 10 inch sub with the NHT separate amp. I am currently using a 3 year old Sony DVD player as my CD transport. I am using the DAC's in the Arcam via an upgraded digital interconnect. I have also upgraded the speaker cables. My question is will I hear an improvement in audio CD's if I upgrade the DVD player to a Denon 2200 or similar device and use the Burr Brown DAC's in it vs the DAC's in the Arcam receiver? I am not concerned about SACD, I still think that music sounds best in 2 channel. thanks

Geoffcin
03-25-2004, 06:26 PM
I am upgrading my home audio system. I have an Arcam AVR200 receiver, Klipsch RF 7 speakers and an NHT 10 inch sub with the NHT separate amp. I am currently using a 3 year old Sony DVD player as my CD transport. I am using the DAC's in the Arcam via an upgraded digital interconnect. I have also upgraded the speaker cables. My question is will I hear an improvement in audio CD's if I upgrade the DVD player to a Denon 2200 or similar device and use the Burr Brown DAC's in it vs the DAC's in the Arcam receiver? I am not concerned about SACD, I still think that music sounds best in 2 channel. thanks

I agree that stereo is the better format for audio, but if your going to upgrade your DVD player, at least get one with DVD-Audio capabilities. DVD-A is also a 2-channel format, and has the highest resolution in this mode.

As to CD's sounding better with a different player; I would consider a dedicated CD player with 24bit DAC's. Arcam makes some great ones!

Studio B
03-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Wow, hard call. I like Burr Brown converters. I like the warm sound they tend to have. You are comparing units that are built on the fact that sound quality is their priority. If it was me, I would go with the Arcam unit. Either way, you won't go wrong. Music is definitely better in stereo.

mtrycraft
03-25-2004, 08:30 PM

Naw, play with room acoustics for improvements, not your good components, or wires which is a total waste.
2 channel was obsolete in the 1930s when it was demonstrated by Bell Labs that you need at least 3 front speakers. The technology just caught up recently though :)

Mr Peabody
03-29-2004, 07:32 AM
I would think in order to improve over the sound of the Arcam receiver's DAC you would have to buy a high quality unit. Not only should you consider the DAC but also the analog output. The Arcam receiver has a nice output stage. Unfortunately to get a DVD player that truly performs well on CD it costs. I understand Arcam has a new DVD player out that costs around $999. that the CD output compares to their $699. stand alone CDP.

Hivihead
03-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Buy a model with DVI which is for high definition. The rest will be history soon.