def tech bp 20: how to test for buying used? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : def tech bp 20: how to test for buying used?

GuidingTheShaft
11-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Hi all! I am new to the forum. I just started hooking up my new Onkyo 5007. I have def tech mythos 3 center mythos gems for surrounds and mains< and a supercube 1 at the moment. I have come across a deal for a few bigger, older def tech speakers. Here is what I am looking at:
BP 20 pair
BP 10 pair
CLR2000
Powerfield 1500
All in original boxes and in supposed excellent condition for $1200. Is this a good deal? I have read all the reviews of these speakers and everyone seems to rave about the sound quality. I think these would be a good upgrade to compliment my new Onkyo. My question is what do I need to check for with these used def techs? Should I take an ohm meter with my old Nakamichi amp to test them? What resistance should I be looking for, or is that over kill? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

poppachubby
11-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi all! I am new to the forum. I just started hooking up my new Onkyo 5007. I have def tech mythos 3 center mythos gems for surrounds and mains< and a supercube 1 at the moment. I have come across a deal for a few bigger, older def tech speakers. Here is what I am looking at:
BP 20 pair
BP 10 pair
CLR2000
Powerfield 1500
All in original boxes and in supposed excellent condition for $1200. Is this a good deal? I have read all the reviews of these speakers and everyone seems to rave about the sound quality. I think these would be a good upgrade to compliment my new Onkyo. My question is what do I need to check for with these used def techs? Should I take an ohm meter with my old Nakamichi amp to test them? What resistance should I be looking for, or is that over kill? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to AR!!! I can't comment on your speakers value but...

Take extra care and time to carfeully set everything up. Locate the speakers optimally. Put on your favorite CD/vinyl, pull up a chair to what you figure is the rooms sweet spot. Turn your listening level just above normal of what you would listen at....

(Listen, Listen, Listen)

Congratulations, you've just participated in the world's greatest and most important test. It's called your own 2 ears! I'm not being sarcastic or ignorant here. If those speakers sound better, good or whatever your requirement is, I would say you've got what you need.

harley .guy07
11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I would add to what Poppa said and I would at least take a look around each cabinet and also take the grills off and make sure that the drivers have not been damaged or changed to something lesser than the origionals. I had a friend buy some used boston Acoustics speakers from a "guy needing money real bad" and bought them without doing this and when he brought them to me because they did not sound the way his fathers did when his father owned the same model in the early eighties. Come to find out that the woofers were changed out and cheap jensen woofers were shoe horned in the cabinets with no regard for this driver working with the speaker. I know that if you listened to the speaker you would kow if something major was done to them but taking a look at every driver in the cabinets just gives you that piece of mind of knowing what you are getting.

poppachubby
11-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Good point harley, I think overall, for 1200 bucks, there's no way a nickel is leaving my wallet unless I'm certain about everything. This is the pain of buying used.

GuidingTheShaft
11-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the responses. The new Onkyo has really emphasized my need for some decent mains. The Mythos three center is overpowering the gems by a huge amount. I will go check these def techs out and see what the actual condition of them truely is. I think the bp series will be a drastic improvement over my current setup.

blackraven
11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
For $1200, I would rather buy new speakers. How old are the BP20's? Doesnt that design date back to 1990? I would be concerned about the drivers rotting and being able to replace the drivers.

GuidingTheShaft
11-01-2009, 06:38 PM
The seller stated that he bought them new in 1994. The bp20s are the older version of the bp30s. The only difference is that def tech changed the crossovers and put an aluminium tweeter vs the bp20s silk dome tweeter. I will definitely check for dry rot. I would not buy them if they showed any signs of that. I don't think that I could match the quality of these 6 speakers for $1200 if they are in excellent condition.