Quick Impressions: M-Audio Studiophile BX8a Deluxe Active Monitors [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quick Impressions: M-Audio Studiophile BX8a Deluxe Active Monitors

Ajani
10-30-2009, 03:27 PM
So, I was checking out a local Pro Audio Store (Audiofon Systems Ltd.) and came across the M-Audio Studiophile BX8a Deluxe Active Monitors.

I did a quick audition using some reggae and simple female acoustics provided by the sales rep. Anyway, the interesting thing for me is that this simple audition was the first time in some time i've been impressed enough with an audio product that I'd actually buy it.

The M-Audios just sounded right for me. I've been interested in active studio monitors for some time now, but this was a first chance to listen to a pair. At $600 for the pair I think I'm going to treat myself to them.

I'll update this thread with a proper review after I've bought them. In the meanwhile, I'd love to hear from anyone with experience using active pro audio speakers.

frenchmon
10-30-2009, 04:23 PM
I know of those who have the Mackies and just love them. They also say they are great for HT.

frenchmon

Ajani
11-04-2009, 08:41 PM
So I picked up a pair of M-Audio Studiophile BX5a's today. Yep, I opted for the cheaper ($400) and much much much smaller BX5a over the BX8a... IMO, the 8a are better and justify the extra money, by adding added weight, scale, bass extension, whatever you want to call it... But I just found them too big for use on my computer desk.

I've only used the 5a's for a couple of hours so far (arguably, too little burn in to give a real verdict) but I'm mighty impressed. They sound the way I'd expect a good quality pair of small monitors to sound: Accurate, good imaging and just plain enjoyable (while of course lacking the aforementioned scale of larger speakers - but how much can you really expect from a 5 inch driver???). Both my girlfriend and my little brother heard them today and immediately commented on how good they sound (I think I finally got my little brother willing to consider buying an "audiophile" product - which is a major accomplishment. And since my gf describes herself as "audiophobic", I'm happy that she likes the sound of them as well.

Anyway, the speakers are connected to my Benchmark DAC1 using Rapco Road Hog 6 ft Balanced Interconnects (yeah I just bought what they recommended in the Pro Audio Store, as I don't know squat about pro audio cable brands)... I'll put up photos soon, but the setup is just so damned cutesy... the Squeezebox, Benchmark and M-Audios look like a Micro System, but sound like a genuine audiophile setup... I haven't compared the speakers to my Reference AKG K701 Headphones yet (as I left them at home in Montego Bay), but I'm sure the AKG's offer greater detail and are just all around better (well probably minus soundstage)... it should be an interesting comparison as both the AKG's and the M-Audio's can be had for around the same money...

My early conclusion is that home audio brands seriously need to consider making active monitors (especially for their budget lines)... as I'm willing to state for the record, that at $400 these active monitors sound far far far better than any comparatively priced speaker/amp combo I've heard from the home audio side (and I've heard quite a few entry level combos in my time)...

One interesting thing to note, is that I actually prefer the sound of the speakers from further away (even standing up) than from my listening position... Seems kinda strange for nearfield monitors... but maybe burn-in/better placement will change that...

harley .guy07
11-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I have a friend that runs a small studio in his house and he does music for small films and commercials and he has a set of bx8's and loves them. I have heard them several times and they do sound real good for a powered speaker. Real smooth soft dome tweeter and good bass for their size. they are the only powered speaker I have heard that I liked except the Paradigm reference 20/active speakers from the late 90's, they were good too.

poppachubby
11-05-2009, 03:38 AM
(as I left them at home in Montego Bay),..

My mother is Jamaican born. She came to Canada as a teen. My great-grandfather is Alvin Marriott. If you don't know who he is, ask enough Jamaican's and you will soon find out. He was a famous artist, he sculpted the Bob Marley statue that now resides in Kingston. He also sculpted the olympic runner in front of the stadium, which is actually a marvel of sculpting (the angle of the runner). He sculpted the Jamaican coat of arms, commissioned by the government, I think it was Manley at the time. He even coined the term, "out of many, one people". Other famous works include a full size sculpture of Marcus Garvey.

I generally don't tell people this as it seems a little bit "unbelievable". I have only been to Jamaica 3 times, yet I am a citizen. Any descendent of my great grandfather is welcome to be a citizen. Seem crazy?!? I speak the truth.

Are you Jamaican? Montego Bay has the best weather in the country. So mahn, mi haffi go fi babylon a callin mi. LOL, work time...

Here's a little reading on him. The lady in the interview is my grandmother. The photos are from my uncle Norman. My mom has a bust that he did of her as a child, pretty cool. Hopefully I will get it someday.

http://www.brianowensart.com/article1.html

Feanor
11-05-2009, 06:17 AM
So, I was checking out a local Pro Audio Store (Audiofon Systems Ltd.) and came across the M-Audio Studiophile BX8a Deluxe Active Monitors.

I'll update this thread with a proper review after I've bought them. In the meanwhile, I'd love to hear from anyone with experience using active pro audio speakers.

No experience, but if I ever go for a major HT upgrade, I will give very strong consideration to a prepro, (rather than a receiver), combined with active speakers. I'd be looking for XLR connects at either end, which the M-Audio model in question does have. The BX5a Deluxe or maybe even more the CX5 are strong contenders; the latter has conprehensive "acoustic space" controls for flexible room placement -- a feature far more speakers ought to have, though I guess they are most practical in an active design.

Ajani
11-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Are you Jamaican?

Yep. Born and grew up in Kingston. Lived and worked in North America and the Caribbean, then returned to Jamaica this year.

Luckily I've found three Hi-Fi stores in Kingston (don't know if any are in Mo-Bay). Two Home Audio (I haven't been to one of them yet though) and the Pro Audio Store where I got the M-Audios...

Ajani
11-05-2009, 07:29 AM
No experience, but if I ever go for a major HT upgrade, I will give very strong consideration to a prepro, (rather than a receiver), combined with active speakers. I'd be looking for XLR connects at either end, which the M-Audio model in question does have. The BX5a Deluxe or maybe even more the CX5 are strong contenders; the latter has conprehensive "acoustic space" controls for flexible room placement -- a feature far more speakers ought to have, though I guess they are most practical in an active design.

Yep.... CX5s should offer you better performance and greater placement flexibility...

poppachubby
11-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Yep. Born and grew up in Kingston. Lived and worked in North America and the Caribbean, then returned to Jamaica this year.

Luckily I've found three Hi-Fi stores in Kingston (don't know if any are in Mo-Bay). Two Home Audio (I haven't been to one of them yet though) and the Pro Audio Store where I got the M-Audios...

Cool, my mother is from Kingston too. They left back when the violence was at it's worst in the early 70's.

Ajani
11-08-2009, 07:16 PM
So having had the weekend to play with my new toys, I still find them to be excellent value for money. I would describe the trade offs of the BX5a as being 'sins of omission'. which is what I look for in budget to mid priced priced gear... in other words, there are no glaring problems with the product, just areas where more expensive products provide better performance.

The first being the bass; the BX5a bass sounds tight and clean. No boominess or evidence that the woofers are being pushed to hard, but they simply don't output any real deep bass... so the only way you'd realize they are bass deficient is if you are familiar with how a particular song sounds on a speaker able to deliver deep bass.

The other being detail; the speakers avoid sounded obviously muffled, congested or just plain nasty (as some cheap speakers do) but once you've heard songs on more detailed speakers, you can easily tell what is missing...

However IMO, none of this issues distract from the performance of the speakers, thus making them quite an enjoyable listen.

I won't pretend that they are the perfect budget speakers for everyone, as no such thing exists. But I think anyone looking for a cheap entry to decent sound should at least audition a pair of them (and other active speakers) before committing to a traditional integrated/bookshelf combo...