Frenchmon" and other jazz fan's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Frenchmon" and other jazz fan's

winston
10-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi Frenchmon I just finished checking Elaine Elias CD's as you recommended Man she’s one Brazilian bomb shell I found four of her Cd's at my local CD trader’ and I was just about to post my appreciation for your looking out’ and BAM” you mentioned Charles Lloyd, yep this guy is old school, I have about three Cd's of him (two LP’s which has not been in played in years) but I don’t have the (Water is Wide) so this Saturday I’ll be checking the CD Trader to see if they have it in stock.

As they sell from 7.99 down to 2.99 for single disc, if they don’t have it, I’ll get one from JR’s or Amazon.

Man this line up on the water is wide” is great, Guitarist John Abercrombie drummer; Billy Higgins- Bassist Larry Grenadier and second horn man Brad Mehldau with the boss Mr. Charles Lloyd………………..COOL.
Are their any other jazz people around here??!!:4:

frenchmon
10-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi Frenchmon I just finished checking Elaine Elias CD's as you recommended Man she’s one Brazilian bomb shell I found four of her Cd's at my local CD trader’ and I was just about to post my appreciation for your looking out’ and BAM” you mentioned Charles Lloyd, yep this guy is old school, I have about three Cd's of him (two LP’s which has not been in played in years) but I don’t have the (Water is Wide) so this Saturday I’ll be checking the CD Trader to see if they have it in stock.

As they sell from 7.99 down to 2.99 for single disc, if they don’t have it, I’ll get one from JR’s or Amazon.

Man this line up on the water is wide” is great, Guitarist John Abercrombie drummer; Billy Higgins- Bassist Larry Grenadier and second horn man Brad Mehldau with the boss Mr. Charles Lloyd………………..COOL.
Are their any other jazz people around here??!!:4:

Yes I just love her. She will be here in St.Louis the early part of next year...I'm making plains to go and see her. Charles Lloyd played with Coltrain and even sounds like him on a few cuts. He also did a lot of things with CannonBall . And Billy Higgins is one of my favorite drummers of all time....he was a very musical drummer. And he played with just about everybody back then.

I tried to locate that Chet Baker CD "along together". But I do have it by someone else. I cant remember her name right off the bat, but I think its Jo Stafford, but I'm not sure. I'll have to go and check later. Its a 1958 recording on a Charlie Haden CD with his band, Quartet West. Are you familiar with them?

RoadRunner6
10-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys for the mention of Eliane Elias. I had a girl friend from Brazil for several years and have always loved the music. I just surfed some of the previews of her albums and love that voice and what I heard. I will place a number of them on my wish list. :thumbsup:

winston
10-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Hey there RR6” always nice of you to drop by man, you’re a Norah Jones fan?? ……
I like her too and I’ve taken on Elaine Elias” you’ll love her when she arrives from your wish list man.

winston
10-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Frenchmon about Chet Baker!! (1929-1988) (title’ Chet Baker – plays for lovers CD and also on Playboy jazz- (jazz after dark 11).
The jazz after dark 11 CD only has one track of Chet Baker! (Alone together) however it’s one great two disc compilation produce by Nick Phillips and it will take you from your basement” to another place in TIME.

The Chet Baker CD (Chet baker- plays for lovers” all these are original recordings produced by Orrin Keepnews & Richard Carpenter including (alone together) compilation produce by Nick Phillips if you can’t find them feel free to PM me. I haven’t forget about the rebel Charlie Haden

frenchmon
10-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks Winston....I think I have seen that CD "Chet Baker – plays for lovers". I'll have to pick that one up. I do have a compilation CD by Baker that has "Alone Together" on it. Its the Jazz, Round Midnight CD. The song Alone together was recorded in 1955 so I'm thinking it was the original take by him. This CD also has many great tunes on it, including "Everything happens to me" recorded in Paris 1955. The version I have sung by Jo Stafford was recorded in November 1944 with Paul Weston and his Orchestra. I love that version as well.

IF your into Paul Desmond, here's a good one "Desmond Blue". Recorded in 1962 with Jim Hall on guitar, Gene Cherico on Bass and Connie Kay on drums. Any of his recordings with Jim Hall after he left Dave Brubeck is especially good.

I see you know of Charlie Haden. I've always loved Haden. Even his stuff with Ornett Colman back in the 50's was good. Then his time with Dewey Redman and Keith Jarrett was some of the best in my opinion. Many don't like the avangard (SP) stuff but i Iove it . The album "The eye of the tiger" which is a live album was mostly made up on the spot and they seem to come together and feed off of each other....they had synergy doing that stuff. That album consisted of Haden on Bass, Jarrett on piano, Dewey Redman on Sax (the father of Joshua Redman) and Paul Motian on Drums...great album. IF you get a chance, pick up Hadens album with his group Quartet West. "Haunted Hearts" Hes got an original song by Billy Holiday singing "Deep Song" that was recorded in Feb. 1947. Its a wonderful song done the only way Billy knows how to do it...slow and with that very distinguished voice of hers.

One other I would like to recommend....its a three layer disc with SACD two channel, SACD 5.1 and Red Book so it plays on standard players. Its Yo Yo Ma's CD entitled "Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone." This is a out standing work and I think every one who likes classical should own this CD.

So what are some of your favorite tunes?

frenchmon

frenchmon
10-31-2009, 04:07 PM
RR...if you want a out standing CD by Eliane Elias, look for the CD "Brazilian Classics". Its an out standing workmanship CD. I mean its a very good recording as well as a very good display of talent by these wonderful musicians. When I go and listen to gear at audio shops, I always take it as my reference CD. The work is outstanding. It has Eliane on piano, Eddie Gomez and Marc Johnson on Bass, Jack Dejohnette, Peter Erskin and Paulo Brags on Drums, Oscar Castro-Neves on guitar, Michael Breaker on Sax. You will love this CD.

IF you want to go old school with some Brazilian Jazz or Bosanova Jazz as many call it, then look for anything with Antonio Carlos Jobim. He was one of the pioneers of Bosanova back in the day. Do you remember the song "The Girl from Ipanema" Well Jobim wrote that and many more. He also did stuff with Stan Getz and Dizzy Galispie. A very good CD by Antonio Carlos Jobim. is "Antonio Carlos Jobim's Finest Hour.

frenchmon

RoadRunner6
10-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks Winston and Frenchmon.

I'm a really old guy and remember The Girl from Ipanema very well (Astrud Gilberto's voice was so sexy and she looked great too). It was a hugely popular hit when I was in college. I have some music form Getz, Gilberto, Jobim and Brazillian Jazz and Samba, and many other artists I can't remember the names of now. I spent over an hour listening to the Amazon previews of Eliane Elias last night. I already had four of her CD's in my wish list and still had many to go. I decided to go back when I have more time and decide on several. Brazillian Classics, Bossa Nova Stories, Sings Jobim and Around the City were already on the list.

Yes, I love Norah Jones. (I love her music too :crazy: ). I was watching some of her videos on U-Tube last night and saw one of her from about 2 years ago. Wow, she had slimmed down a little and looked absolutely delicious!!!

I had an uncle who was a big band leader and I grew up with the music of the 20-50's, including big band and all the old standards. I only have Norah's first CD. I was somewhat disappointed in her song slection but her performance was pure class. However, to me she is a jazz talent way beyond her years in maturity and performance. I remember the first time I ever heard her. I was at the computer and my wife was watching a late night show. Suddenly the music I heard stopped me in my tracks. I walked over and sat on the sofa, simply mesmerized. I said to myself, who is this? I wrote down her name and immediately went and Googled her (that's not all I wish I had done to her...what a gorgeous woman).

One of my favorite all time song writers was Hoagy Carmichael. I remember as a young kid seeing him on TV. I have heard many covers of "The Nearness of You" over the years including Ella, Sarah, Jo Stafford and Nancy Wilson (the best so far) but when I heard Norah Jones' version I just flipped out. That is one of the finest most perfect jazz or American standard covers I have ever heard. Sometimes I just put on this song and repeat it for an hour or more and never get tired of it. What an absolutely perfect jewel of a performance.

I wish Norah would do a full album of just Amercian standards. Oh what a timeless wonder that would be. :biggrin5:

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr101/chuckienut/astrud3.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr101/chuckienut/Norah_Jones_big.jpg

winston
11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey guys I would like to talk about an American artist who had taken on the Brazilian culture from in the seventies’ (Michael Franks) he was in the shadow of Carlos Antonio Jobim.

He is very popular here in south Florida (I call him a contemporary jazz/pop artist?) he has this ‘Breezy voice” don’t know if you guys listen to him? He is one of my male jazz singer, see we had this jazz station called (love 94) that everyone in Miami dial were stuck on back in the days, (especially the ‘Sunday brunch show” with Stu Grant & Gina Martell) they played smooth jazz that’s how I started listening (Michael Franks) I could recommend some CDs……like “sleeping gypsy, the art of tea, the abandoned garden, is a salute Antonio Jobim. Love Songs, or his anthology: the art of love.

He has a bunch CDs that y’all can stream!! If you’re not already a fan, but those are the ones I like best from my collection of Michael Franks.
Hey frenchmon’ I’m not big on classical I have few old ones like Germany (James last orchestra- James last band) half the band went classical rock in the seventies.
Anyways I ordered the water is wide & yoyo ma's today from amazon.

3LB
11-03-2009, 06:37 AM
I have one Elias album, Cross Currents from the '80s. I found it to be standard fare, though I do love the song Compari & Soda (featured on a comp oh so long ago). I came into Elias by way of a Denon sampler I got when I bought my first CD player.

You guys want to check out Peter Erskine some time.

Auricauricle
11-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Like you guys, I cut my Brazilian teeth on the works of Jobim; in particular, his work with Getz. From what little I have heard of Elias, she is a wonderful successor to the old master. She plays with just enough poise and restraint to give her melodies the tenderness they deserve. Likewise, her piano is reminiscent of Jobim's sparse yet deeply affectionate technique. Neither the instruments for the voice carry the songs; they interweave together in a strange, haunting tapestry that keeps me going back to Brazil whenever I have the presence of mind to do so. Thanks for rekindling it for me, folks.

BY the way, while we're mentioning things Brazilian and easy, has anyone any familiarity with the works of Milton Nascimento? This artist, like his contemporaries and predecessors plays beautiful music that can only come from that clime, but is much more diverse in repertoire. He is an amazing falsetto as well and a very adept guitarrist. Below, I've included a video as means for providing an introduction to the benighted masses....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jo5UlFDTZ6g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jo5UlFDTZ6g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

frenchmon
11-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey guys I would like to talk about an American artist who had taken on the Brazilian culture from in the seventies’ (Michael Franks) he was in the shadow of Carlos Antonio Jobim.

He is very popular here in south Florida (I call him a contemporary jazz/pop artist?) he has this ‘Breezy voice” don’t know if you guys listen to him? He is one of my male jazz singer, see we had this jazz station called (love 94) that everyone in Miami dial were stuck on back in the days, (especially the ‘Sunday brunch show” with Stu Grant & Gina Martell) they played smooth jazz that’s how I started listening (Michael Franks) I could recommend some CDs……like “sleeping gypsy, the art of tea, the abandoned garden, is a salute Antonio Jobim. Love Songs, or his anthology: the art of love.

He has a bunch CDs that y’all can stream!! If you’re not already a fan, but those are the ones I like best from my collection of Michael Franks.
Hey frenchmon’ I’m not big on classical I have few old ones like Germany (James last orchestra- James last band) half the band went classical rock in the seventies.
Anyways I ordered the water is wide & yoyo ma's today from amazon.

Nice to hear that Winston. You will enjoy that Yo Yo Ma. and The water is wide CD. Billy Higgins uses those brushes and man is he sounding good.

Oh and BTW.....I have not heard Michael Franks in years! He was really laid back with his smooth voice. I use to grove to Michael Franks back in the 70's. Is he still putting out music? I'll have to look him up. I use to have several albums by him....one was Passion Fruit. Dont know what happened to my MF albums. You know how it is when you are a kid in your early 20's moving around...you loose stuff. Any ways Thanks man.

frenchmon

frenchmon
11-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I have one Elias album, Cross Currents from the '80s. I found it to be standard fare, though I do love the song Compari & Soda (featured on a comp oh so long ago). I came into Elias by way of a Denon sampler I got when I bought my first CD player.

You guys want to check out Peter Erskine some time.

Cross Current was some of her early stuff. Have you listened to her lately? The woman is a real pianist. Not like Dianna Krall who I also love, but who is an average pianist in my book. Elaine can really play. Shes got lots of stuff on Youtube. And I love her voice as well.

And she did some great stuff with Peter Erskine. There is a great Youtube song with her and Erskine rocking the drums.

frenchmon
11-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Like you guys, I cut my Brazilian teeth on the works of Jobim; in particular, his work with Getz. From what little I have heard of Elias, she is a wonderful successor to the old master. She plays with just enough poise and restraint to give her melodies the tenderness they deserve. Likewise, her piano is reminiscent of Jobim's sparse yet deeply affectionate technique. Neither the instruments for the voice carry the songs; they interweave together in a strange, haunting tapestry that keeps me going back to Brazil whenever I have the presence of mind to do so. Thanks for rekindling it for me, folks.

BY the way, while we're mentioning things Brazilian and easy, has anyone any familiarity with the works of Milton Nascimento? This artist, like his contemporaries and predecessors plays beautiful music that can only come from that clime, but is much more diverse in repertoire. He is an amazing falsetto as well and a very adept guitarrist. Below, I've included a video as means for providing an introduction to the benighted masses....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jo5UlFDTZ6g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jo5UlFDTZ6g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Glad to see another Jobim and Elias and for that much Getz lover. Mr Getz also did some out standing stuff with Dizzy Gillespie and Sonny Stitt. These guys all did stuff with Jobim. Elias who admired and learned from Jobim did some bosa nova stuff with Joe Henderson, so there where many American Jazz artist who loved Brazilian Jazz.

I've never heard of Milton Nascimento and thanks for turning me on to him...I'll have to look him up.

frenchmon

winston
11-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Auricauricle” thanks for that video of Milton Nascimento man I watched all the clips nice attachment” I don’t have any of his Cd's but I used to listen to him on (Love 94) over here in south FL before (clear channel” walk in and bought all the station’s in S’FL. And stop them from playing smooth jazz and Brazilian jazz folk music……………………

Hi 3LB” Peter Erskine!! That’s a good drummer he played with “(Stan Kenton Orchestra) in the seventies, also Maynard Ferguson, he and bassist Jaco Pastorius was the back bone of the (Weather Report band) it would take pages to list Peter Erskine work he played with everyone. There are so much music sometimes I wish I was nineteen again.

Hi frenchmon today I swing by the (CD trader store) they saved a Chet Baker for me
This one is called too cool from the opus collection all fifties stuff. lets get lost,lucius lu,a night on bop mountain... "Desmond blue" never hear that one!! i have a rear one of him called "voices" i haven't played it in many moons.

frenchmon
11-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Auricauricle” thanks for that video of Milton Nascimento man I watched all the clips nice attachment” I don’t have any of his Cd's but I used to listen to him on (Love 94) over here in south FL before (clear channel” walk in and bought all the station’s in S’FL. And stop them from playing smooth jazz and Brazilian jazz folk music……………………

Hi 3LB” Peter Erskine!! That’s a good drummer he played with “(Stan Kenton Orchestra) in the seventies, also Maynard Ferguson, he and bassist Jaco Pastorius was the back bone of the (Weather Report band) it would take pages to list Peter Erskine work he played with everyone. There are so much music sometimes I wish I was nineteen again.

Hi frenchmon today I swing by the (CD trader store) they saved a Chet Baker for me
This one is called too cool from the opus collection all fifties stuff. lets get lost,lucius lu,a night on bop mountain... "Desmond blue" never hear that one!! i have a rear one of him called "voices" i haven't played it in many moons.

I'm sure you know Paul Desmond came out of that West Coast Cool era with Miles. The album is called "Birth Of The Cool". Baker did some things with Desmond and Miles as well. And I betcha you have heard the song "Desmond Blue", on the radio, as its one of those Jazz favorites. Most people think its a Miles tune, but its Desmonds. Just like every one hears the tune "Take Five" on Dave Brubecks album "Time Out" and thinks its Brubecks tune but that too is Desmonds tune. Maybe if you run across the Album, Desmond Blue, you can pick it up....you will be mighty glad you did. I am going to order the Baker CD Too Cool. Thanks.

frenchmon

frenchmon
11-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Winston...as much as I love Dianna Krall.....I dont think she is the pianist that Elaine Elias is. She has a new CD coming out "Bossa Nova Stories" Check out some of these videos of her. http://elianeelias.com/videos/

frenchmon

winston
11-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Winston...as much as I love Dianna Krall.....I dont think she is the pianist that Elaine Elias is. She has a new CD coming out "Bossa Nova Stories" Check out some of these videos of her. http://elianeelias.com/videos/

frenchmon
hey frenchmon" before i get to you on that pianist....Q' (one quick Q' the Paul Desmond @ Desmond blue is that the CD with Jackie De Shannon & Paul Desmond ??)

frenchmon
11-06-2009, 03:04 PM
hey frenchmon" before i get to you on that pianist....Q' (one quick Q' the Paul Desmond @ Desmond blue is that the CD with Jackie De Shannon & Paul Desmond ??)

She is not listed on my CD at all. I cant figure out what she did to be a part of this album other than its possible that her face is on a earlier album cover. You will love this CD.

frechmon

frenchmon
11-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Win....if you get one, try and get the remasted one. Mine is not a remaster.

frenchmon

winston
11-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Frenchmon" I receive them two CD from amazon Charles Lloyd & Yo Yo Ma's....yo yo man he rips my heart with that music. That" classical works for me!! the water is wide is been saved for later...Desmond Blue?? cant locate that. I found (Feeling blue)

with selections like..when Joanna love me,alone together,here's that rainy day,body & soul.....fourteen cuts on that plastic. did I get it' or keep onn looking??

frenchmon
11-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Frenchmon" I receive them two CD from amazon Charles Lloyd & Yo Yo Ma's....yo yo man he rips my heart with that music. That" classical works for me!! the water is wide is been saved for later...Desmond Blue?? cant locate that. I found (Feeling blue)

with selections like..when Joanna love me,alone together,here's that rainy day,body & soul.....fourteen cuts on that plastic. did I get it' or keep onn looking??

I just love that Yo Yo Ma CD. Its very passionate, just the way I like it.

When you do listen to the Water is Wide CD, notice Billy Higgins on the drums. In my opionion he makes that CD. He is a very rhythmic drummer. I like the way he uses the brushes.

You can find the Paul Desmond over at www.CDuniverse.com

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7611519

A great price as well.

frenchmon.

winston
11-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I just love that Yo Yo Ma CD. Its very passionate, just the way I like it.

When you do listen to the Water is Wide CD, notice Billy Higgins on the drums. In my opionion he makes that CD. He is a very rhythmic drummer. I like the way he uses the brushes.

You can find the Paul Desmond over at www.CDuniverse.com

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7611519

A great price as well.

frenchmon.
thanks french. I just placed my order for, Desmond blue' with cd universe It's the remaster disc also, ya man" that yo yo got my attention" to be honest i did not know what to expect from yo yo ma's??!! but you nailed It down"
Win. :smilewinkgrin:

winston
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi frenchmon….I checked out miss Elaine Elias via your link boy sheeee’s hot I mean on fire!! (The Bossa Nova stories) should be a pretty sweet CD as it represents a celebration of the 50th years of the bossa nova, and some of the players on this CD are from the old school………. But frenchmon how about the CD that preceded the B N stories (something for you) she sings and play Bill Evans, it’s a tribute to Mr. Evans have you listen to it??

Now about Elaine & Diana, who being the better pianist player” Elaine may be the best of the two!! but lets do this I’m going to ask you to watch this Diana DVD if you already did (do it again) when ever you have the time (live in Paris at the Paris Olympia on December 2001) with John Clayton acoustic bass, Jeff Hamilton drums, Anthony Wilson & John Pisano acoustic guitar, Paulinho Dacosta percussions, Alan Broadbent & Claus Ogerman With the Orchestre symphonique Europeen (and give me your impressions) IMO Elaine got the edge given that wicked amount of experience she have as a professional player with all the Greats. but still love my D K"

Hey’ have you given Patricia Barber a listen?? I like the Cd's “NIGHT CLUB & PATRICIA BARBER live- A FORTNIGHT IN FRANCE. she also brutalized the Piano." man

frenchmon
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
thanks french. I just placed my order for, Desmond blue' with cd universe It's the remaster disc also, ya man" that yo yo got my attention" to be honest i did not know what to expect from yo yo ma's??!! but you nailed It down"
Win. :smilewinkgrin:

I love it aswell...thanks win.

frenchmon.

frenchmon
11-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi frenchmon….I checked out miss Elaine Elias via your link boy sheeee’s hot I mean on fire!! (The Bossa Nova stories) should be a pretty sweet CD as it represents a celebration of the 50th years of the bossa nova, and some of the players on this CD are from the old school………. But frenchmon how about the CD that preceded the B N stories (something for you) she sings and play Bill Evans, it’s a tribute to Mr. Evans have you listen to it??

Yes its good as well. I have it in my CD collection. She also has some recordings out doing some of the great Bud Powell's stuff.

Now about Elaine & Diana, who being the better pianist player” Elaine may be the best of the two!! but lets do this I’m going to ask you to watch this Diana DVD if you already did (do it again) when ever you have the time (live in Paris at the Paris Olympia on December 2001) with John Clayton acoustic bass, Jeff Hamilton drums, Anthony Wilson & John Pisano acoustic guitar, Paulinho Dacosta percussions, Alan Broadbent & Claus Ogerman With the Orchestre symphonique Europeen (and give me your impressions) IMO Elaine got the edge given that wicked amount of experience she have as a professional player with all the Greats. but still love my D K"

Yeah I've got that DVD in my collection as well. It to is a great DVD. When it first came out, there was not a hi fi shop in Carolina who was not playing that DVD on the latest Plasma screen TV's. But I think Elaine has better skills on the piano. Both of these chicks are hot, but to my liking Elaine is just pure sexy! I love the way she wiggles as she plays the piano. IF you google her on youtube, you get all kinds of hits. Did you know that Diana is married to Elvis Costelo and Elaine is married to the bass player Marc Johnson? Elaine use to be Married to Mike Brecker, the brother of the later Randy Brecker. They devorced and Marc Johnson snatched her up and took her off the market. He was no dummy.

Now John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton have been doing stuff together for years. I just love the way Claytons bass sounds. So deep and detailed. That man can bop with the best of them. I've got a very good CD with Clayton, playing with Milt Jackson, Billy Higgins, and Joshua Redman. I think it was the last recording before Higgins died. Very good recording.

Hey’ have you given Patricia Barber a listen?? I like the Cd's “NIGHT CLUB & PATRICIA BARBER live- A FORTNIGHT IN FRANCE. she also brutalized the Piano." man

No...but I've seen her name around. What is she like? What style?

frenchmon

frenchmon
11-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Winston check Elaine here in this clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB5w-rI1rXw

You wont ever see Diana Krall in such a rare moment. Elaine just has skills that I don't think Diana Krall has. Elaine is improvising in concert with Jack Dejohnette who is one of the great Jazz/Rock drummers of today.

I love both these women, but Elaine has a special place with me. she will be here in concert in January and I wont miss her.

frenchmon

Rob B in CT
11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Frenchmon: I'm pretty sure that you have Eliane's marital history with the Brecker Brothers reversed. She had been married to Randy, not Michael. Regardless, she's very talented with a great catalog to choose from. She's also an excellent performer. I had the pleasure of seeing her in Hartford two years ago with her husband, Marc Johnson. Great night of music.

winston
11-09-2009, 04:27 PM
frenchmon@Quote
No...but I've seen her name around. What is she like? What style?

frenchmon
first things first!! Marc Johnson" and Elvis Costelo" they are two lucky men??!!...

About Patricia Barber??!! she is another Case study Well for starters! they called her (The Jazz Agent For Change) They say That her above average Intelligence and Vocabulary always results In a witty and complex lyrics, That part of her description I would say is 100% Accurate,...she did that big time on CD & DVD on a Fortnight in France. Her categories or contemporary Jazz singer/pianists. "but she is a Radical" musician. she will do jazz/rock/pop all in ONE SONG.

She did a Cole Porter mix in 2008 very nice.
Win.

winston
11-09-2009, 06:09 PM
]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJcozqulttY[/URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJcozquLttY
frenchmon" check out the above link If It works!! heres a sample of Patricia Barber

frenchmon
11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Winston, while at a friends house yesterday who is a hi fi audio dealer, he said he goes to the library and get his CD's. The very first CD he put on was Patricia Barber's CD "Cafe' Blue". I liked what I was hearing. Amazon did not have any in stock and CD universe have them on back order, so it just a matter of time before I get my copy...oh and by the way its a SACD.

frenchmon

Auricauricle
11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
The other day, my wife was mailed this disc: Bare Bones, by Madeline Peyroux.

Her singing is simple, direct and so much fun to listen to, I just had to stop everything I was doing and hold my breath. Likewise, she plays (piano and guitar) with a deft flirtatiousness that makes every moment nothing short of wonderment!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-0IfPKo4GtU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-0IfPKo4GtU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

winston
11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi Aa" love that lady she's got her own ways"and lots of (Billy Holiday) and you got a way with "Words" Man

frenchmon
Wynton Marsalis” standard time volume 1
Spotlight on this drummer (Jeff “Train” Watts) of the Wynton Marsalis Quartet
Wynton Marsalis - Trumpet
Marcus Roberts (“j master”) piano
Robert Leslie Hurst 111-bass

Frenchmon” I am thinking that you owned this CD ?. If not check it out. Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, & Billy Higgins must be listening??!!

I received the Desmond Blue on Friday 13Th!! Spin it a couple times, great CD man' the Strings that was sweet" Jim Hall was in all his glory” Gloria Agostini” you forget to mentioned her!! Boy she strums that Harp “Gawd” it reminds me of those old period flicks in the sixties. After that I played “Dave Brubeck” time out & take 10” Cd's which proves to me that Paul Desmond was the Man" back in the Brubeck years!!

hifitommy
11-21-2009, 06:04 PM
now, given that i dont have an extensive collection of her work, i DO have a few, i find 'dreamer' not to be too good although 'alll around the city' wasnt bad but not the equal of 'kissed' which has that brazilian quality of rhythm in the words that i like so much.

michael franks always had a brazilian tinge to his discs and did a fair amount of their recording down there. he is still making records and i buy whatever he puts out. certain of his releases are classic to me. passion fruit was my first cd by him (i already had all of his LPs up until then) and the tune 'when sly calls' became a family favorite.

sleeping gypsy was a great album that came to my attention when i was in the midst of the end of my first marriage. the song 'in the eye of the storm' he sang the words: "and i hear from my ex, on the back of my checks!" and BINGO, that is the way i wanted to hear from MY ex, not over the breakfast table, not in bed, but from her signature on the backside of the child support check.

what a breath of fresh air it was on oct 8,'77!!! i got my wish.

another singer/songwriter that influenced the brazilian scene then was dori cayimi. mmmmm, tasty. and stan getz was such a visionary. he also discovered diane schuur.

peter erskine can be seen to great effect with diana krall on her <style type="text/css"> BODY,.aolmailheader {font-size:10pt; color:black; font-family:Arial;} a.aolmailheader:link {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:visited {color:magenta; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:active {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:hover {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} </style>Live at the Montréal Jazz Festival dvd. and anthony wilson shows why she changed from russ malone on the guitar. he fits her so much better.

and patricia barber IS great, saw her LIVE in long beach california about two years ago and it was worth every penny!

dont you just LOVE music?

frenchmon
11-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi Aa" love that lady she's got her own ways"and lots of (Billy Holiday) and you got a way with "Words" Man

frenchmon
Wynton Marsalis” standard time volume 1
Spotlight on this drummer (Jeff “Train” Watts) of the Wynton Marsalis Quartet
Wynton Marsalis - Trumpet
Marcus Roberts (“j master”) piano
Robert Leslie Hurst 111-bass

Frenchmon” I am thinking that you owned this CD ?. If not check it out. Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, & Billy Higgins must be listening??!!

I received the Desmond Blue on Friday 13Th!! Spin it a couple times, great CD man' the Strings that was sweet" Jim Hall was in all his glory” Gloria Agostini” you forget to mentioned her!! Boy she strums that Harp “Gawd” it reminds me of those old period flicks in the sixties. After that I played “Dave Brubeck” time out & take 10” Cd's which proves to me that Paul Desmond was the Man" back in the Brubeck years!!

Winston...I think I use to own that cd...dont know what happened to it. Jeff "tan" Watts is a master on drums. He is one of those who helped keep jazz alive, he and the Marsalis boys in the late 80's. Do you remember hearing that song "Desmond Blue"? Most people think that was a Miles tune, but thats pure Desmond. Man his sax has the sweetest tone. And if you hear his CD though tubes, man it will make you slap your wife. He is so smooth. As much as I like Brubeck, It was Desmond that got my attention. I'm sitting here listening to some Thelonius Monk as I type. He's another one.

frenchmon

frenchmon
11-21-2009, 08:57 PM
now, given that i dont have an extensive collection of her work, i DO have a few, i find 'dreamer' not to be too good although 'alll around the city' wasnt bad but not the equal of 'kissed' which has that brazilian quality of rhythm in the words that i like so much.

michael franks always had a brazilian tinge to his discs and did a fair amount of their recording down there. he is still making records and i buy whatever he puts out. certain of his releases are classic to me. passion fruit was my first cd by him (i already had all of his LPs up until then) and the tune 'when sly calls' became a family favorite.

sleeping gypsy was a great album that came to my attention when i was in the midst of the end of my first marriage. the song 'in the eye of the storm' he sang the words: "and i hear from my ex, on the back of my checks!" and BINGO, that is the way i wanted to hear from MY ex, not over the breakfast table, not in bed, but from her signature on the backside of the child support check.

what a breath of fresh air it was on oct 8,'77!!! i got my wish.

another singer/songwriter that influenced the brazilian scene then was dori cayimi. mmmmm, tasty. and stan getz was such a visionary. he also discovered diane schuur.

peter erskine can be seen to great effect with diana krall on her <style type="text/css"> BODY,.aolmailheader {font-size:10pt; color:black; font-family:Arial;} a.aolmailheader:link {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:visited {color:magenta; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:active {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:hover {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} </style>Live at the Montréal Jazz Festival dvd. and anthony wilson shows why she changed from russ malone on the guitar. he fits her so much better.

and patricia barber IS great, saw her LIVE in long beach california about two years ago and it was worth every penny!

dont you just LOVE music?

Heyyyyy...you gota love it! Don't know what i would do with out it!

Great postig by the way....oh, and I loved her "dreamer CD"...... and Mr Franks...."when Sly Calls" is one of my favorite by him as well.

frenchom

LeRoy
11-22-2009, 05:03 AM
I've never heard of Elaine Elias but I certainly going to have to investigate her music. I do have a few Patricia Barber CD's and love the musicianship to be sure. I recently was introduced to the music of "Ceu", a female vocalist whose voice and music I really enjoyed but I don't know anything about her at all. Anybody heard of Ceu before?

The one CD in my collection that I truly enjoy listening to is, Pop Pop, the artist being Rickie Lee Jones. I thought you guys might want to investigate that particular CD since the recording, music, and vocals are truly great. This particular CD was voted on some national audio mag list as being one of the 10 best of the decade.

Thanks for this great post fellas.

LeRoy

frenchmon
11-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I've never heard of Elaine Elias but I certainly going to have to investigate her music. I do have a few Patricia Barber CD's and love the musicianship to be sure. I recently was introduced to the music of "Ceu", a female vocalist whose voice and music I really enjoyed but I don't know anything about her at all. Anybody heard of Ceu before?

The one CD in my collection that I truly enjoy listening to is, Pop Pop, the artist being Rickie Lee Jones. I thought you guys might want to investigate that particular CD since the recording, music, and vocals are truly great. This particular CD was voted on some national audio mag list as being one of the 10 best of the decade.

Thanks for this great post fellas.

LeRoy

I'll look into Ceu....how are you enjoying the Xray?

frenchmon

winston
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
hifitommy@quote

what a breath of fresh air it was on oct 8,'77!!! i got my wish. (OH THAT MUST HAVE BEEN BLUE!! but then there's the music" AND work" man they never fails.) Michael Franks always comes through for me..The Man's Got Words!! Hey I never knew that "Stan Getz" was the one who discovered "Diane schuur".. Dori Caymmi??!! the search is on Thanks "TR" Win.

hifitommy
11-22-2009, 01:30 PM
sergio mendes-primal roots. you wont be sorry if you find it.

winston
11-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Winston...I think I use to own that cd...dont know what happened to it. Jeff "tan" Watts is a master on drums. He is one of those who helped keep jazz alive, he and the Marsalis boys in the late 80's. Do you remember hearing that song "Desmond Blue"? Most people think that was a Miles tune, but thats pure Desmond. Man his sax has the sweetest tone. And if you hear his CD though tubes, man it will make you slap your wife. He is so smooth. As much as I like Brubeck, It was Desmond that got my attention. I'm sitting here listening to some Thelonius Monk as I type. He's another one.

frenchmon
Yes frenchmon when I was to listening that (Desmond Blue track) i could have sworn it was a Miles Tune! also, I' had to get the CD insert to be sure, Miles Davis name was never even mention. yes Sir" Paul Desmond is said to be one of the greatest Lyric Improvisers in Jazz! and the setting of this CD is really saying a lot to include Strings, Woodwinds, Harp, complementing The MAN.

Hey French. I can see why your on a Quest find the right Cables to bring out the best"of Billy Higgins brushing those cymbals" with Charles Lloyd! (on Georgia & the Water is wide)....Take Care Win.

frenchmon
11-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes frenchmon when I was to listening that (Desmond Blue track) i could have sworn it was a Miles Tune! also, I' had to get the CD insert to be sure, Miles Davis name was never even mention. yes Sir" Paul Desmond is said to be one of the greatest Lyric Improvisers in Jazz! and the setting of this CD is really saying a lot to include Strings, Woodwinds, Harp, complementing The MAN.

Hey French. I can see why your on a Quest find the right Cables to bring out the best"of Billy Higgins brushing those cymbals" with Charles Lloyd! (on Georgia & the Water is wide)....Take Care Win.

You got it Win...you da man!

frenchmon

winston
11-22-2009, 08:13 PM
LeRoy@quote>>>>> Guys, what a great post. Sorry I am late to this party....
I've never heard of Elaine Elias but I certainly going to have to investigate her music

Leroy"Well-come and remember It's better to be late" than Never Arrive!! (Smile)
I never hear of Cue" either?? but I'll check her out later.Patricia Barber I have some of her Cd's like (Cafe Blue, Night club,the Cole Porter Mix, and Patricia Barber LIVE a fortnight in France....have you listen to that one if you haven't already did check it out.

Rickie Lee Jones I might have a CD of her" anyways I'll Check out that, POP POP' CD
Win.

LeRoy
11-22-2009, 08:14 PM
I'll look into Ceu....how are you enjoying the Xray?

frenchmon

I am enjoying the x-ray immensely. I was curious as to how the X-Ray would sound in more expensive system so about 4 weeks ago I took it my local audio dealer's home for a listen. It was hooked up to Belles VT01 Pre-amp, Belles SA-30 Amp, Reference 3A speakers, and some of his home made cables and speaker wire.

The X-Ray was delightful to listen to in the above configured system. My audio dealer friend and I remarked on how well the player kept time/pace, tonality was excellent, and an overall analog sounding presentation was enjoyable. So, we then decided to plug in his tubed CDP, Lektor ( I forgot the model#) which sells retail for about 5.5K. The Lektor had more body and texture and weight to the music as well as more extension into the room in all directions. The X-Ray was the equal to the Lektor in all other regards of performance but of course was thousands of dollars less. My friend thinks I made off like a bandit on the X-Ray purchase and I think so too.

frenchmon
11-23-2009, 08:01 AM
I am enjoying the x-ray immensely. I was curious as to how the X-Ray would sound in more expensive system so about 4 weeks ago I took it my local audio dealer's home for a listen. It was hooked up to Belles VT01 Pre-amp, Belles SA-30 Amp, Reference 3A speakers, and some of his home made cables and speaker wire.

The X-Ray was delightful to listen to in the above configured system. My audio dealer friend and I remarked on how well the player kept time/pace, tonality was excellent, and an overall analog sounding presentation was enjoyable. So, we then decided to plug in his tubed CDP, Lektor ( I forgot the model#) which sells retail for about 5.5K. The Lektor had more body and texture and weight to the music as well as more extension into the room in all directions. The X-Ray was the equal to the Lektor in all other regards of performance but of course was thousands of dollars less. My friend thinks I made off like a bandit on the X-Ray purchase and I think so too.

Yeah...I think you and I both got a great deal on the Xray. Reatail price for that think was very close to $3000 for @$799 it was a steal. Happy to see you are enjoying it.

frenchmon

LeRoy
11-23-2009, 06:03 PM
LeRoy@quote>>>>> Guys, what a great post. Sorry I am late to this party....
I've never heard of Elaine Elias but I certainly going to have to investigate her music

Leroy"Well-come and remember It's better to be late" than Never Arrive!! (Smile)
I never hear of Cue" either?? but I'll check her out later.Patricia Barber I have some of her Cd's like (Cafe Blue, Night club,the Cole Porter Mix, and Patricia Barber LIVE a fortnight in France....have you listen to that one if you haven't already did check it out.

Rickie Lee Jones I might have a CD of her" anyways I'll Check out that, POP POP' CD
Win.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Ya, I have P.B. Cafe Blue, Companion, and Split. I also have all 3 of Norah Jones' CD's and I heard last week the she is changing her style. Apparently Norah broke up with her bassist B.F. and fired the whole band she's been with all these years and is now trying to be "edgier" (whatever that means) with a new group of musicians. I heard the interview on NPR, last Friday or Thursday morning.

I do want to get another PB CD with have never known which I should get next.. what would you suggest?

Just an fyi, I bought 3 cd's from B&N about a year ago based on a list of recommended CD's from 6moons.com. These 3 CD's are concept's based on the creative mind of Paul Schwartz. If you like Opera sung in the form of Aria's, and you like New Age Music with a groove..then you would probably enjoy not only the unique musical presentation but also the glorious vocals of a real opera singer, and overall excellent recordings in each of the CD's. They are sold individually and not as a package. They are Aria, Aria 2, and Aria 3.

I am looking forward to your reply regarding which PB CD I should get next.

Thanks,

LeRoy

LeRoy
11-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Yeah...I think you and I both got a great deal on the Xray. Reatail price for that think was very close to $3000 for @$799 it was a steal. Happy to see you are enjoying it.

frenchmon

Yes sir, I am enjoying the x-ray and I know you are too. I will need to look into the music and background of Ceu. I don't know if she is from South America, Belgium, France, or Montreal.. I know she has 2 CD's out but I never find them anywhere I go. I gotta keep looking cause I gotta have em.

Oh, and which Elaine Elias CD would you recommend I purchase first?

Thanks again.

LeRoy

frenchmon
11-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Yes sir, I am enjoying the x-ray and I know you are too. I will need to look into the music and background of Ceu. I don't know if she is from South America, Belgium, France, or Montreal.. I know she has 2 CD's out but I never find them anywhere I go. I gotta keep looking cause I gotta have em.

Oh, and which Elaine Elias CD would you recommend I purchase first?

Thanks again.

LeRoy

I would recommend "Brazilian Classics" Its a great CD with great musicians. Jack Dejohnette, Eddie Gomez, Peter Erskine. Mike Breker, and Marc Johnson to name a few. This is also a great CD when auditioning speakers.

frenchmon

winston
11-24-2009, 12:42 PM
LeRoy@quote.I am looking forward to your reply regarding which PB CD I should get next. ..........Ok LeRoy X-ray This on your Musical Fidelity V8!!
1) DISTORTION OF LOVE
2) FORTNIGHT IN FRANCE, CD/DVD
3)MONDAY NIGHT (LIVE AT THE GREEN HILL)
4) THE COLE PORTER (MIX)

MYTHOLOGIES" that's a different type of stuff (I like It) you might not Jazz-Times called it FEAR-LESS,INTELLECTUALLY,STIMULATING.
BUT as you know Jazz can be a wolf disguise as a SHEEP" sometime so watch out for MYTHOLOGIES!!
take care Win.

Finch Platte
11-24-2009, 12:53 PM
God, the apostrophe in the thread title drives me up a wall!

LeRoy
11-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I will be looking for your suggestions online this weekend!

Thanks again guys.

LeRoy

frenchmon
11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Hey Winston..you want to see my Boyeeees in avant-garde! Check them out and also the B&W matix 801's in the back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AcwnScNM9M&feature=related

frenchmon

bobsticks
11-27-2009, 05:11 PM
I usually come off as a rock guy, but I also happen to be a huge jazz fan...you name it I prolly got it...frenchmon, you got a copy of Chet Baker's "Holiday"?

hifitommy
11-27-2009, 06:36 PM
in the studio. hhmmmmmmmmm?!

frenchmon
11-27-2009, 07:16 PM
I usually come off as a rock guy, but I also happen to be a huge jazz fan...you name it I prolly got it...frenchmon, you got a copy of Chet Baker's "Holiday"?

Naw....is it a "Christmas"Holiday CD? I've got a very good CD by Baker..."Round Midnight". I love Chet Baker. You got "The water is Wide" CD by Charles Lloyd? IF not go and pick it up. Its rather smooth and not avant-garde in the slightest. Its so smooth, Billy Higgins is using brushes on most of the cuts. It will mellow you out after a stressful day at the office...at least it dose from me.

Hey did you come to St. Louis one time and spent some time with Mr.Peabody? IF so you coming back this way soon? Maybe all 3 of us could get together?

frenchmon

frenchmon
11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
in the studio. hhmmmmmmmmm?!

Did you like that, hifi? I got a feeling you did.

frenchmon

hifitommy
11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
i just heard from mark and it wasnt his studio.

bobsticks
11-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Naw....is it a "Christmas"Holiday CD? I've got a very good CD by Baker..."Round Midnight". I love Chet Baker. You got "The water is Wide" CD by Charles Lloyd? IF not go and pick it up. Its rather smooth and not avant-garde in the slightest. Its so smooth, Billy Higgins is using brushes on most of the cuts. It will mellow you out after a stressful day at the office...at least it dose from me.

Hey did you come to St. Louis one time and spent some time with Mr.Peabody? IF so you coming back this way soon? Maybe all 3 of us could get together?

frenchmon

Actually, it's not a holiday disc at all despite the name...tunes like "Travelin' Light", "When Your Lover Has Gone", etc...if you're interested in a trial copy PM me the addy....I already owe enough people stuff one more wont hurt, lol.

Yeah, I've actually been down to St. Louis several times this year and, in fact, did get to spend some time with Mr. Peabody and his excellent system...not sure when I'll make it down again but the more the merrier, I say.

frenchmon
11-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Actually, it's not a holiday disc at all despite the name...tunes like "Travelin' Light", "When Your Lover Has Gone", etc...if you're interested in a trial copy PM me the addy....I already owe enough people stuff one more wont hurt, lol.

Yeah, I've actually been down to St. Louis several times this year and, in fact, did get to spend some time with Mr. Peabody and his excellent system...not sure when I'll make it down again but the more the merrier, I say.

addy PMed.

winston
11-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Hey Winston..you want to see my Boyeeees in avant-garde! Check them out and also the B&W matix 801's in the back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AcwnScNM9M&feature=related

frenchmon

ooOOH" Shxx" "Umm-hmm" That was some Brushing & blowing man, Charles Lloyd must be saddened by Bill Higgins Passing" (for want of a better word......They had A relationship!!) thanks french.

bobsticks@quote
I usually come off as a rock guy, but I also happen to be a huge jazz fan...you name it I prolly got it...frenchmon, you got a copy of Chet Baker's "Holiday

Yes bobsticks" I would have totally check you for a Rock Guy period??!! But hey That's music' man...for example on T'G'D I was over by my son's house and I was totally rocked by this group ........(3 DOORS DOWN) "away from the sun" live from Houston'Texas.
It's one of those Monster Music effort" (ya that kid Brad Arnold, can rock) And yes Monster have some cheesy ways!! but the sound tract's on this DVD were nicely done.

frenchmon
11-28-2009, 03:19 PM
ooOOH" Shxx" "Umm-hmm" That was some Brushing & blowing man, Charles Lloyd must be saddened by Bill Higgins Passing" (for want of a better word......They had A relationship!!) thanks french.

bobsticks@quote
I usually come off as a rock guy, but I also happen to be a huge jazz fan...you name it I prolly got it...frenchmon, you got a copy of Chet Baker's "Holiday

Yes bobsticks" I would have totally check you for a Rock Guy period??!! But hey That's music' man...for example on T'G'D I was over by my son's house and I was totally rocked by this group ........(3 DOORS DOWN) "away from the sun" live from Houston'Texas.
It's one of those Monster Music effort" (ya that kid Brad Arnold, can rock) And yes Monster have some cheesy ways!! but the sound tract's on this DVD were nicely done.

I'm sure he was...I know I was. Billy was great. I loved his style. Did you know he started as a rock drummer?

frenchmon

LeRoy
11-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks to this thread and your suggestions, I went wild today on CDconnection.com and placed the following order.

CD -- 852907 -- Eliane Elias / Brazilian Classics
CD -- 229755 -- Patricia Barber / Distortion Of Love
CD -- 954300 -- Patricia Barber / Live:Fortnight In France
CD -- 399126 -- Ceu / Ceu
CD -- 1396003 -- Ceu / Vagarosa
CD -- 179477 -- Corinne Bailey Rae / Corinne Bailey Rae
CD -- 11407 -- Brian Culbertson / Secrets
CD -- 11417 -- Cole Steve / Stay Awhile
CD -- 700222 -- Denise Young / Something You Dream Of ..
CD -- 1259129 -- Eric Darius / Goin All Out
CD -- 147983 -- Paul Hardcastle / Jazzmasters: Greatest Hits
CD -- 400380 -- Paul Taylor / Ladies Choice
CD -- 837102 -- Praful / One Day Deep

My holiday stocking is going to fill up pretty quickly. I will let you guys know my thoughts on the Elaine Elias music once I have time to digest it. Thanks again for the new music suggestions.

LeRoy

frenchmon
11-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks to this thread and your suggestions, I went wild today on CDconnection.com and placed the following order.

CD -- 852907 -- Eliane Elias / Brazilian Classics
CD -- 229755 -- Patricia Barber / Distortion Of Love
CD -- 954300 -- Patricia Barber / Live:Fortnight In France
CD -- 399126 -- Ceu / Ceu
CD -- 1396003 -- Ceu / Vagarosa
CD -- 179477 -- Corinne Bailey Rae / Corinne Bailey Rae
CD -- 11407 -- Brian Culbertson / Secrets
CD -- 11417 -- Cole Steve / Stay Awhile
CD -- 700222 -- Denise Young / Something You Dream Of ..
CD -- 1259129 -- Eric Darius / Goin All Out
CD -- 147983 -- Paul Hardcastle / Jazzmasters: Greatest Hits
CD -- 400380 -- Paul Taylor / Ladies Choice
CD -- 837102 -- Praful / One Day Deep

My holiday stocking is going to fill up pretty quickly. I will let you guys know my thoughts on the Elaine Elias music once I have time to digest it. Thanks again for the new music suggestions.

LeRoy

Wow...happy listening.

frenchmon

winston
12-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm sure he was...I know I was. Billy was great. I loved his style. Did you know he started as a rock drummer?

frenchmon
no french!!...........I did not know that' But I'm not surprised at all:23: !!

frenchmon
12-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Winston, have you had a chance to sit back and really listen to "Lady Day" on the "Water is Wide" CD? Man Billy has this rhythm thing using the brushes going on with the piano player while still keeping up with the bass player. Can you hear the high hats in your system? Its very faint but you should be able to hear them. Man Higgins proves that you don't have to be flat out burning the drums up to be good. His style on drums is so musical. That guy is just good. Let me know what you think.

frenchmon

winston
12-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi LeRoy" Back at you,,........
I see you have a nice across the board "Jazz on Jazz" Collection coming up for the Festive Season, (Enjoy).......Hey post your Impression's on Cue/Vagarosa whenever time you get done

winston
12-03-2009, 04:10 PM
frenchmon@quote
Winston, have you had a chance to sit back and really listen to "Lady Day" on the "Water is Wide" CD? Man Billy has this rhythm thing using the brushes going on with the piano player while still keeping up with the bass player

Not yet Dude" But this weekend is A long one so (hopefully I'll be able to hear a few things coming through my Beta 50s) one of my "Boys" gave me a 3' set of BJs analog, and coaxial cable so I'll trying them out.

frenchmon
12-03-2009, 07:21 PM
frenchmon@quote
Winston, have you had a chance to sit back and really listen to "Lady Day" on the "Water is Wide" CD? Man Billy has this rhythm thing using the brushes going on with the piano player while still keeping up with the bass player

Not yet Dude" But this weekend is A long one so (hopefully I'll be able to hear a few things coming through my Beta 50s) one of my "Boys" gave me a 3' set of BJs analog, and coaxial cable so I'll trying them out.

Kool...let me know what you think of the BJC. I like them. 3 sets? And its not even Christmas yet Billy has it going on.

frenchmon

LeRoy
12-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Hi LeRoy" Back at you,,........
I see you have a nice across the board "Jazz on Jazz" Collection coming up for the Festive Season, (Enjoy).......Hey post your Impression's on Cue/Vagarosa whenever time you get done

I will certainly post my impressions on the Ceu music once I have time to digest it. Happy Holidays to all.

LeRoy

winston
12-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Hello French. I must admit! Them BJs" sounds much better than the MPs, actually my speaker fronts are the (BJs new generation ® By Bel den BT500UP with locking banana) very nice cable I have been using them more than two years now! (But this is the first time I’m using the BJs" inter connects) and it is an improvement over the MPs" for sure to my old Ears! The music speeds up” which sounded much better, more body and a sort fullness overall, (in other words I could hear your Boy take a Phartz!!??) with the addition of these cables!!

But seriously Man! Billy Higgins was a force to Recon With in that form" of Drumming!!
I played that track # 9 about 10 times.

frenchmon@quote
Winston, have you had a chance to sit back and really listen to "Lady Day" on the "Water is Wide" CD? Man Billy has this rhythm thing using the brushes going on with the piano player while still keeping up with the bass player. Can you hear the high hats in your system? Its very faint but you should be able to hear them. Good catch

Yes Sir' (high hats) was Pumping out of my Beta-50s big time.
man that's Five Great musicians?? (To Be Continued the eyes are calling)
Winston.

frenchmon
01-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Winston my man...Got another one for you. IF you can, check out the Cyrus Chestnet CD "Cyrus Chestnut" My man Higgins and Lewis Nash are on the drums, with James Carter and Joe Lovno on sax and Ron Carter on Bass, and even the great Anita Baker sing a few tunes. And if you know anything about Chestnut...he is a master in his own right...a throw back to the pioneers.

frenchmon

jrhymeammo
01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Joe Puma - Shining Hour.
Kenny Burrell - All Day Long & All Night Long

Nothing specially, but whenever I can't decide what to listen to, I always pull one out. Actually, they are pretty damn good.

winston
01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Winston my man...Got another one for you. IF you can, check out the Cyrus Chestnet CD "Cyrus Chestnut" My man Higgins and Lewis Nash are on the drums, with James Carter and Joe Lovno on sax and Ron Carter on Bass, and even the great Anita Baker sing a few tunes. And if you know anything about Chestnut...he is a master in his own right...a throw back to the pioneers.

frenchmon
hey frenchmon back at you man!!
Cyrus Chestnut” Trio….. “French” I was introduce to this piano man in 2000 in a real funny way!! My wife’s mom gave me this Cyrus chestnut CD as a Christmas gift (A Charlie brown Christmas) deep down I thought it was one of them Christmas coral effort” the truth is I never heard of the guy before, man I so put this thing away. A few days later I got the call??!! Asking” do you like the CD we gave you “Yes sure” that’s when I picked it up” I saw names like (Vanessa Williams, Brian McKnight, The Manhattan Transfer, and The Boys’ choir of Harlem) all on this CD , to make a long story short

The man’s a genius on the piano”.. with out a doubt Cyrus Chestnut may-be the best jazz Pianist of his generation!!,
After the Charlie brown saga” I collected (Soul Food and genuine Chestnut CDs) but I will be getting that collaboration that you mentioned with Higgins, Lewis Nash, Ron Carter, James Carter and Anita Baker soon. "Heads up"

winston
01-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Joe Puma - Shining Hour.
Kenny Burrell - All Day Long & All Night Long

Nothing specially, but whenever I can't decide what to listen to, I always pull one out. Actually, they are pretty damn good.
yeah" Love Kenny Burrell especially The Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane, years" they did a lot of good work together!! Stuff that you could always pull one out with your eyes closed and be happy with the results!! great Musician..... for A guitar line up with the "Professor" that's A very very short list.:6: