Craigs list nightmares [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Craigs list nightmares

Jim Clark
10-29-2009, 05:53 AM
For sure there are worse things in the world going on but 2 days ago I saw an ad from a guy that was selling a Pioneer SX 1980 for 100.00. He had bought it at a garage sale years ago and just wanted to upgrade. 'Course I missed out.

So today I see a Pioneer SX-1980 for sale in a different part of the city for 1875.00. Somebody is turning a hefty profit. Personally I would have replaced the Marantz 2230 in my vintage system and listened to it for the next 30 years.

I guess the moral is keep checking the listings and your day will come : )

Regards,
jc

manlystanley
10-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Craigs list is full of dreamers who are selling broken junk that no one in there right mind would buy. But, then again, all they need is: "One sucker". I have had people lie to me about what was being sold, only to find out the truth when I got there. Then I have found people who's plan is to: Post this piece of junk for *YEARS* until someone buys it at there ridiculous price.

My favorite of all time: A guy was selling a leaf rake with 3 teeth broken for $1 less then you could buy it a home depot. He posted it for *YEARS*. He became a folk hero of sorts. People wrote stories about him like:

"Hello, I'm Bob. I'm in the local mental hospital and for therapy I go and rake the yard. Unfortunately I can't rake and move my feet at the same time--so I must rake the same spot going deeper and deep into the ground. This has caused three teeth to break. We'll, I really need more medication and need someone to buy this rake so I can get some money. Also, if you find the three broken teeth please tell me. I can use them to rake after I sell this one"

But then!!! There is a real gem that comes by. Like: B&W 602's for $95, H/K amp for $35, almost new Klipsch speakers worth $250 for $100, etc, etc etc.

Feanor
10-29-2009, 06:16 AM
For sure there are worse things in the world going on but 2 days ago I saw an ad from a guy that was selling a Pioneer SX 1980 for 100.00. He had bought it at a garage sale years ago and just wanted to upgrade. 'Course I missed out.

So today I see a Pioneer SX-1980 for sale in a different part of the city for 1875.00. Somebody is turning a hefty profit. Personally I would have replaced the Marantz 2230 in my vintage system and listened to it for the next 30 years.

I guess the moral is keep checking the listings and your day will come : )

Regards,
jc

Too bad, Jim,

But you can't score all the time. Meanwhile it's higly unlikely that anyone would pay $1875 for a Pioneer SX-1980 -- it was a gorgeous top of the line unit in 1978, (see HERE (http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/sx1980.html)), but worth at most half that asking price today if near mint.

manlystanley
10-29-2009, 06:17 AM
BTW: The Rototiller that's my avatar I got off of craigslist for free! It had a rusted seized pistons that would not move a bit. I took it apart fixed it and put in a huge garden. Worked like a champ until the compression dropped.

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Ya too bad, that's a real nice piece. As far as asking 1875 for it, a little ridiculous. How did he come to decide it should be 1875 and not 1800 or 1900. In the world of overpricing, this is quite funny. I suppose he thinks, "They'll work me down 75 bucks and I'll get my price." You gotta wonder.

Jim, something good is around the corner for you. This was a sign, you watch...

Jim Clark
10-29-2009, 07:24 AM
The rake story is the best. I'm sure every community has something just as entertaining. I guess that's part of the charm of Craigs list.

Right now there's some dude in St. Joe, Missouri selling some jbl trimline clones and he wants 200.00 for the set.

the problem is:

The new surrounds don't fit and leak air because they weren't glued in right. A grill is missing from one.The cabinets apart from being built by a handyman with a hammer and some nails are scratched and stained. -But- these are better than real JBL Trimlines because they have legs screwed into the bottom!

*sigh* I did get a big kick out of the ad.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/1441790482.html

On the plus side - last month I did score a Nakamichi LX-3 tape deck for 30 bucks and it sounds awesome!

jc

rob_a
10-29-2009, 07:54 AM
That sounded like a score, too bad it got away!
In my brief experience with Craigslist, I have found there are two types of people selling stuff on it. The people who are just trying to off load some old junk they have had lying around and want to get a little cash. Then there is the schemers, that have big dreams of getting rich by selling junk at an insane (what crazy person would ever pay that) price, kind of people. There are different degrees of this but for the most part, this is what you’re dealing with.
But it is nice to find a steal every once in a while:lol:

manlystanley
10-29-2009, 08:05 AM
The rake story is the best. I'm sure every community has something just as entertaining. I guess that's part of the charm of Craigs list.

Right now there's some dude in St. Joe, Missouri selling some jbl trimline clones and he wants 200.00 for the set.

the problem is:

The new surrounds don't fit and leak air because they weren't glued in right. A grill is missing from one.The cabinets apart from being built by a handyman with a hammer and some nails are scratched and stained. -But- these are better than real JBL Trimlines because they have legs screwed into the bottom!

*sigh* I did get a big kick out of the ad.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/1441790482.html

On the plus side - last month I did score a Nakamichi LX-3 tape deck for 30 bucks and it sounds awesome!

jc

That is so funny! Thanks for the laugh!!