Turntable connects [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Turntable connects

poppachubby
10-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey everyone, just wondering If anyone has replaced their TT's hardwired RCA's with anything else. The quality of the cables coming out of all 3 of my TT's is nothing short of shameful.

I am also in the position of needing to add an extension cable to one of my tables, female to male, so that it can reach my amp. Would much rather hardwire something that's the correct length. Any insight here would be appreciated.

atomicAdam
10-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I did that with the Sony before I caulked it to death.

If you know how to solder and are not scared of opening up your TT you should be able to figure it out I would think.

poppachubby
10-28-2009, 05:53 PM
I did that with the Sony before I caulked it to death.

If you know how to solder and are not scared of opening up your TT you should be able to figure it out I would think.

Oh that's right, you took pics too...ok thanks AA, I'll start there. What did you do, cut down a pair of RCA's and solder them on?

atomicAdam
10-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh that's right, you took pics too...ok thanks AA, I'll start there. What did you do, cut down a pair of RCA's and solder them on?

yeah - pretty much.

poppachubby
10-28-2009, 06:20 PM
What? No caulking? Hahahahha, actually, how can I possibly go down any road that the caulk master has been down? I think this means in a month or so I will be filling a TT with caulking, tears streaming down my face, and you, head flung back, laughing diabolically....."MMMMmmmmmwwwwhhhahahahahahhaha....succomb to the caulking boy!!!" "No, I'll never fill my TT with caulking Lord Vader....".......oh man, I could go on and on....

atomicAdam
10-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I could go on and on....

If it really makes you happy. Or you could get to cutting down a pair of good interconnects, opening up your TT, unsolder the old ones, solder on new ones, and be very happy with yourself.

Oh, and if all goes well, tomorrow I'll be picking up a Rega P3/24 and Pro-Ject Phono Box II. Which will probably need some caulking.

poppachubby
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
If it really makes you happy. Or you could get to cutting down a pair of good interconnects, opening up your TT, unsolder the old ones, solder on new ones, and be very happy with yourself.

Oh, and if all goes well, tomorrow I'll be picking up a Rega P3/24 and Pro-Ject Phono Box II. Which will probably need some caulking.

Hey, I warned you, this will be a long road to forgetting about the caulking. Wow! If all goes well? Puttin it all on one race are we?

What does the AVA have in terms of inputs? You got a pre amp too right? Just figured you'd have a tough phono stage in the amp. Man, from a Sony to a Rega. You're going to be walking in the clouds...

atomicAdam
10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey, I warned you, this will be a long road to forgetting about the caulking. Wow! If all goes well? Puttin it all on one race are we?

What does the AVA have in terms of inputs? You got a pre amp too right? Just figured you'd have a tough phono stage in the amp. Man, from a Sony to a Rega. You're going to be walking in the clouds...

We're down one bridge in my area. The one that would get me to the store with the Rega.

thekid
10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Open up the TT and see how they are connected you might not need to solder. The ones in my Dual 1019 were just plugged in so it was a quick and easy swap.

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Right on kid, I bought some Vampire wire today...

poppachubby
11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
OK everyone, I am finally done. More than meets the eye with this project. because the guage is so much fatter, I had to reroute them inside the TT so they wouldn't interfere with the arm's range of motion. Also, copper shielding had to be dealt with, grounding proved tricky.

HOWEVER!! I am floored at how quiet it now is. Also, bass response audibly improved. I would say it added a bit of depth to the sound, however this is a hasty assessment. Overall worth the hassle. Just keep in mind if you are considering this to look at EVERYTHING involved. I would also reccomend drilling a new port or enclosure to re-route the cables. Take a photo the moment you open the unit so that you can reference anything that might accidentaly get moved or changed.

I have pictured the original connects with the new ones. sad looking no?

harley .guy07
11-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Good deal you got those old cables off of that tt. they look like something on a fisher price stereo. I don't think I would use them to tie a trash bag shut but that might be a way of getting them the hell away from you.

poppachubby
11-17-2009, 05:02 PM
ya harley it's hard to believe any signal could be squashed through that tiny little shoe string. The PL-516 is a great table for it's range. Really heavy, fibreboard plinth and super tough platter. It could use a nicer arm but that's kind of moot, may as well upgrade. The connects is a nice, justifiable upgrade. Just put an Ortofon OMB-10 on it so it's sounding real boss.

You saw my Fisher Price stereo post? Right on!!

poppachubby
11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Man, I know this will sound like another post from a guy trying to make an upgrade sound awesome, even though it might not be. I can honestly say, the improvement in sound is mind boggling.

I have the PL-516 coming into the soundcard right now, via the Bellari and the detail is incredible. I'm sure that it's the cart working in conjunction with the connects, but wow! Perhaps it's the increased noise reduction that's bringing subtle highs into the forefront.
Whatever it is, it sounds great. The bass is warm and full as well.

I'm super pleased with this result, so incredibly worth the effort. Let me tell you, as I opened and closed that TT for 2-3 hours sstraight, I was cursing that I ever began.

Anyhow, maybe not the most poetic review but again, highly recommended for anyone looking to improve their table's sound.

harley .guy07
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
yeah I have heard that ortofon is a good way to go for a cartridge. I have looked at going vinyl before but decided to wait until I get the rest of my system the way I want it first. then I will probably add a tt to my system since they do sound nice and vinyl has really came back into popularity of late. I have looked at both the music hall and pro-ject tables and almost bought one but decided to hold off until I made some other more important upgrades to my system. Plus my Sub blew its amp so I am in the process of getting it back in order as well.

Jim Eck
11-18-2009, 03:21 AM
This is a very nice upgrade to do, very nice work!

In the past I have used female RCA's, running the wires from the tonearm to female RCA's attached to the plinth, it adds a connection in the stream but it makes it easy to change lenghts and type of interconnects.

Just my $.02

Jim

poppachubby
11-18-2009, 05:01 AM
This is a very nice upgrade to do, very nice work!

In the past I have used female RCA's, running the wires from the tonearm to female RCA's attached to the plinth, it adds a connection in the stream but it makes it easy to change lenghts and type of interconnects.

Just my $.02

Jim

Nice idea but I would wonder what that connection would do to the delicate signal. I made my length 2 meters to ensure plenty of reach. Thanks for the props my man!

Jim Eck
11-18-2009, 05:13 AM
I did it on my Thorens TD-160, worked out well.

Jim

poppachubby
11-18-2009, 05:37 AM
I did it on my Thorens TD-160, worked out well.

Jim

Ya, nice table. How old anyhow? I almost bought a used TD-170 sometime ago. I would probably be more confident doing that on a better table. Perhaps my HK could be a candidate.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3624/3319548941_15c5611953.jpg

Jim Eck
11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
That is a nice looking table.

Jim

poppachubby
11-18-2009, 07:14 AM
That is a nice looking table.

Jim

More looks than sonics, a poor mans Thorens.

E-Stat
11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Nice idea but I would wonder what that connection would do to the delicate signal. I made my length 2 meters to ensure plenty of reach.
Your work looks great. I have no doubt there is an improvement over the original ICs. As for the jack question, that is exactly the approach most high end arms take with no issues. My later SME 3009 II has jacks as does the Souther TQ-1. Such provides more flexibility with cable length and characteristics. Just keep the jacks and plugs clean with Deoxit!

rw