Cables for Musical Fidelity A5? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cables for Musical Fidelity A5?

Jason L.
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I awaiting the arrival of my Musical Fidelity A5 integrated. Any recommendations for interconnects and power cord? My source is an Apple TV with a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. My speakers are Phase Technology PC 9.1's. Also, the remote does not have a power on/off button. Is there a code available for a universal remote control?

frenchmon
10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I awaiting the arrival of my Musical Fidelity A5 integrated. Any recommendations for interconnects and power cord? My source is an Apple TV with a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. My speakers are Phase Technology PC 9.1's. Also, the remote does not have a power on/off button. Is there a code available for a universal remote control?

Wow great choice in the preamp! I have become a big MF fan. Do give us a detailed review of the A5 please when you get it. As far as cables I'm still trying to get a feel for which cables I should get with my MF X-rayv8. If you cant get answers here, head on over to the Musical Fidelity club over at http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=7501

What CDP are you going to get for the A5? IF you get a MF CDP, You can get the Muscial Fidelity X-rayv8 CDP over at audioadvisor.com for a discounted price, they have stop producig them.

You may not even need the Dmagic at all with the MF stuff. I use to have a Dmagic with my Rotel CDP.

How do you like the Phase Technoogy PC 9.1? Those speakers when they first came out had very good reviews. Are they wood cabinet?

frenchmon

Jason L.
10-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow great choice in the preamp! I have become a big MF fan. Do give us a detailed review of the A5 please when you get it. As far as cables I'm still trying to get a feel for which cables I should get with my MF X-rayv8. If you cant get answers here, head on over to the Musical Fidelity club over at http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=7501

What CDP are you going to get for the A5? IF you get a MF CDP, You can get the Muscial Fidelity X-rayv8 CDP over at audioadvisor.com for a discounted price, they have stop producig them.

You may not even need the Dmagic at all with the MF stuff. I use to have a Dmagic with my Rotel CDP.

How do you like the Phase Technoogy PC 9.1? Those speakers when they first came out had very good reviews. Are they wood cabinet?

frenchmon

Thanks Frenchmon,

My Apple TV is it. It's just how I prefer listening to music. I love creating my own playlists, or to shuffle a genre. I rip everything Apple Lossless. The DAC Magic was a must and made a big difference.

I love my Phase Techs! Not too many people know of them. Not alot of dealers. They sound amazing! Handmade in the US with a 10 year warranty. At $2000 a pair, I think they're one of the best kept secrets in audio. They are wood veneer cabinets.

Mr Peabody
10-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Is cost a concern? If keeping in a budget the Bluejeans cable are the real deal. For more "musical" equipment I like Siltech but I believe they quit importing to the U.S. Cardas are supposed to be good and have different lines. Kimber is also well respected. If not much available locally I'd suggest buying from an online vendor who will take the cables back if not happy with no re-stock fee. Most good retailers will not charge a fee. The Bluejeans are reasonably priced, you could start there and use them as a reference for others you try. The bad thing about using stock cables as reference almost anything is better. PS Audio has a broad line as well. Audioquest is widely distributed and used but I have found them underwhelming for their price, but that's me. Transparent is good especially if you want a good bass response. To be honest in some comparisons I've found Transparent to create a bit of what I can only call glare. That is system dependent though and Transparent consistently increases bass response and seems to allow a more extended high end. I use their power cables with good results but I've never directly compared them to anything else except a MIT Z cord and it was at least as good if not a slight bit better.