New Stuff [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Stuff

poppachubby
10-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Just bought a Music Hall MMF Phono Pack for $70 USD from Ebay, also, on Thursday, I will be fitting a Nagaoka MP 110 onto my Pioneer. I'm really excited about this.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/images/mmfphonopack.jpg

I had told myself that I wouldn't buy anything in terms of upgrades, aside from a much needed dac. Well.......I am having so much fun converting and listening through my soundcard that I figured the money is well spent. I am also excited to hear the natural sounds of the Nagaoka. I've never heard any cartridges from this company, but they sound right up my alley. It also sounds like a nice fit for my belt drive.

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/dj/cabinet/nagaoka/mp110.jpg

I'll let you guys know once I have everything in place. I figure by the time the stage arrives, the cart should be settled in somewhat.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290363141814&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

jrhymeammo
10-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Hey Chub,

Let us know how the Nagaoka sounds.
I've always been curious about their carts, but the exchange rate hasn't been in my favor for the last 3+ years.

Also, can the MH1.2 accept beefed up power supply like the NAD PP-2?

Have Fun,
JRA

poppachubby
10-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Hey Chub,

Let us know how the Nagaoka sounds.
I've always been curious about their carts, but the exchange rate hasn't been in my favor for the last 3+ years.

Also, can the MH1.2 accept beefed up power supply like the NAD PP-2?

Have Fun,
JRA

Yes I will. I am told it's a well rounded, natural sounding cart. At this point, i am actually between conial (MP 100) or the elliptical. Anyhow, my local dealer reps Nagaoka.

Not sure about the PS issue but you can be sure I will be trying anything I can in terms of upgrade. I am a firnm beleiver in power supply, particularily on small devices like a phono stage.

poppachubby
10-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey jr, hopefully you look at this. Turns out the technician doing some work on my amp has a Orto 2M for sale. He took it out of his Pro-Ject in favour of an MC. He's selling it for $70!!

However, my Pioneer's headshell will not accomodate the 2M, so what do you think? Spend the doe with the dealer for an installed Nagaoka, or get the Orto and spend the difference on a headshell, Stylus Force gauge and alignment kit.

hifitommy
10-29-2009, 06:15 PM
AND get one of THESE:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72061

<table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="10"><tbody><tr height=""></tr><tr height=""><td valign="top"> http://www.musicdirect.com/shared/images/products/medium/asum6.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

its one of the best shells on the market especially at its price. and congrats on the mmf!

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Cool, thanks Tommy. Actually, I ended up with an Ortofon OMB-10. The MMF stage is on its way. I hope they have that headshell in silver. Here's my deck...

http://sysadminhelp.com/rants/images/stereo/turntable1.jpg

hifitommy
10-29-2009, 07:29 PM
they dont come in silver. BUT theyre the greatest.

poppachubby
10-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Ya I had a look, I think I'll get one anyways. Oh hey Tommy check this out...apparently aside from cleaning, the counter weight broke on it. Do you think it would be worth buying and replacing the arm? Could be a deal here...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230392940908&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

JoeE SP9
10-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm not familiar with most external phono stages. My SP-9 has one I'm very happy with. My Marcof head amp (battery powered) is a clone of the Marshall Leach design and works very well. Several of my friends have Music Hall TT's and they are all quite saftisfied (read happy) with them. I would expect the phono preamp to be just as good. The Nagaoka cartridge is another product I'm unfamiliar with. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions about both products. I'm always looking for something to recommend to friends.

poppachubby
10-30-2009, 05:22 AM
I'm not familiar with most external phono stages. My SP-9 has one I'm very happy with. My Marcof head amp (battery powered) is a clone of the Marshall Leach design and works very well. Several of my friends have Music Hall TT's and they are all quite saftisfied (read happy) with them. I would expect the phono preamp to be just as good. The Nagaoka cartridge is another product I'm unfamiliar with. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions about both products. I'm always looking for something to recommend to friends.

Sorry Joe, I guess I wasn't specific, I'm not getting the Nagaoka now. I ended up getting a deal on the Ortofon OMB-10. I'm quite surprised at the response thus far, seems not too many are familiar with Nagaoka. I am now wishing that I had, but I got the Orto for a steal.

My impresssions are that it's properties are more "European" in nature. Maybe I will get smashed for saying so, but I think guys like Tommy have an ear for a more American sounding rig. Highest of quality, but with a really huge stage. I think the European sound is a bit smaller and more subtle, where the Nagaoka fits in.

For now, the Orto fits my budget and is a fine cart. As you probably know, the stylus can be upgraded with a 20 or a 30. I have a Grado DJ cart on my HK deck, and really enjoy it's sound, probably closer to the Nagaoka.

Anyhow, I bought the MMF stage specifically for vinyl conversion. Both pre's that I have right now are just too harsh when used for recording. I wanted the MMF or a Phono Box. I've also been doing alot of listening through my comps soundcard inputs and back through the dac. I don't know why, but it's making vinyl listening alot of fun for me and it sounds great. I haven't touched a CD in so long, I was actually just yesterday questioning my gigantic collection's existence, it has no purpose aside from the car right now.

Did you check out that link I posted for the Music Hall MMF 9 Joe? Check it out and tell me what you think...

poppachubby
10-31-2009, 04:04 AM
Got my Ortofon OMB-10 on last night. It sounds amazing with the Pioneer. I used a free protractor from enjoymusic.com, it printed in perfect scale, no re-sizing. Basic 2 point alignment, perfect for a beginner like me. I must admit, there was quite a bit of satisfaction having done it myself. I have adjusted my VTF soley by my arms counterweight. As I'm sure this is partially innaccurate, I have ordered an Ortofon stylus gauge. Apparently it's a re-badged Thorens. Just waiting for the MMF now...

I think I might still buy the Nagaoka. I want to buy a couple of Sumiko headshells. I'll put the Nagaoka on an extra headshell and maybe use it for converting.

hifitommy
10-31-2009, 09:14 AM
http://www.needledoctor.com/Sumiko-HL-29-Headshell-Leads?sc=7&category=25833

http://www.needledoctor.com/core/media/media.nl?id=229&c=ACCT106601&h=87929e5446fca1da3e2f

well, they arent THAT big but the sonic improvement over the stock wires on your headshell will be worth the money. these are the wires that come on the hs12 headshell.

the smaller the signal, the more effect wire has on it. on the audioquest arms, the upgrades were in the internal wiring, not the bearings. its less than half the price of the shell (although having extra shells is a BIG advantage for quick swapping of cartridges).

a word on the nagoaka--i know you didnt get it but if you do eventually get one, go elliptical. the fact that the denons are mostly conical is puzzling unless they must did a massive production run of conicals or something.

back in the day, the elliptical and shibata denon 103s were the ones to get. my friend david shreve has a 103m, an elliptical. you might google his name.

enjoy.

poppachubby
10-31-2009, 09:31 AM
http://www.needledoctor.com/Sumiko-HL-29-Headshell-Leads?sc=7&category=25833

http://www.needledoctor.com/core/media/media.nl?id=229&c=ACCT106601&h=87929e5446fca1da3e2f

well, they arent THAT big but the sonic improvement over the stock wires on your headshell will be worth the money. these are the wires that come on the hs12 headshell.

the smaller the signal, the more effect wire has on it. on the audioquest arms, the upgrades were in the internal wiring, not the bearings. its less than half the price of the shell (although having extra shells is a BIG advantage for quick swapping of cartridges).

a word on the nagoaka--i know you didnt get it but if you do eventually get one, go elliptical. the fact that the denons are mostly conical is puzzling unless they must did a massive production run of conicals or something.

back in the day, the elliptical and shibata denon 103s were the ones to get. my friend david shreve has a 103m, an elliptical. you might google his name.

enjoy.

Thanks again for your thoughts Tommy, much appreciated. Please scroll up and review the Ebay link I have posted. I REALLY want your opinion.

Had a great morning, got this 50 foot strand of Audio Research 12g for 20 bucks!! Gold plated termination for 0.50 each.

As for the vinyl, a wicked score. Paid 5 for the War, 12 for the Hancock and 6 for the benson. All in excellent shape. OMB-10 here I come!

JoeE SP9
10-31-2009, 09:41 AM
While I have no knowledge of the Music Hall MMF 9.1, two of my friends have Music Hall TT's. One has a 2 and the other sold his 2 and replaced it with a 5.1. I recommended MH TT's to both of them. I would expect the 9.1 to be an even better performer. The stand alone motor assembly and the belt drive with no sub platter is something I like. I would not purchase it with the optional Goldring cartridge. That's just a personal choice.

I have 2 LO Ortofon's, an MC20 and 30. My Sumiko Blackbird has largely replaced them, the Bluepoint and the Dynavector !0X.

I've got 2 out of three of those LP's. I have lots of GB. So, I don't need The Best Of GB. VSOP is super!!!!

hifitommy
10-31-2009, 09:50 AM
when you posted it but forgot to comment. it could be a fun and rewarding project OR a frustration. personal inspection would be ideal BEFORE the purchase. i find it hard to advise you here.

poppachubby
10-31-2009, 10:21 AM
when you posted it but forgot to comment. it could be a fun and rewarding project OR a frustration. personal inspection would be ideal BEFORE the purchase. i find it hard to advise you here.

Thanks Tommy. It's funny you mention that because I live about an hour or so away from the seller. I emailed them to ask if I could view it but have not heard back yet.

Thanks to you too Joe for looking. Ya man I'm on a real Benson kick lately. I just love his diverse style but I lean on his earlier, more experimental type work. Bad Benson is getting spun to the point of stupidity, my wife is going nuts "This again!?!". I have been trying to collect his albums on vinyl recently. So far I have Bad Benson and In Flight. I just ordered his Live in L.A. this morning and as you can see, bought the best of.

Herbie Hancock is one of my all time faves, an absolute genius. My last VSOP got played into oblivion. I mean Headhunters?!? C'mon, musical gold man. Great stuff, it saddens me to think that guys like Kanye West are what people are calling "genius" these days...

hifitommy
10-31-2009, 10:44 AM
acoustic research rather than audio research. i dont remember audio research selling wire like that.

any of the early WAR albums is great, the latest ones not so. benson was best in his early years as well before he fancied himself a singer. up to 'weekend in LA' which was good, but after that, he went for more smooth and contemporary 'jazz'. just like david sanborn, bob james, larry carlton, and lee ritenhour.

i missed the vsop period of herbie but i may snag some in the dollar piles here in LA.

poppachubby
10-31-2009, 11:15 AM
acoustic research rather than audio research. i dont remember audio research selling wire like that.

any of the early WAR albums is great, the latest ones not so. benson was best in his early years as well before he fancied himself a singer. up to 'weekend in LA' which was good, but after that, he went for more smooth and contemporary 'jazz'. just like david sanborn, bob james, larry carlton, and lee ritenhour.

i missed the vsop period of herbie but i may snag some in the dollar piles here in LA.

Agreed, on both bands. However I do enjoy "In Flight" but you're right, alot of his later work is bound for the elevator.

It's Audio research which is why I snagged it up. I actually had some Acoustic research cabling lately, but sold it to a friend. My Ultralink sounds too good to unhook.

I now find myself needing to solder some cable into a pair of speakers, no ports. I didn't need 50 ft but since the roll was almost empty they gave me a deal to get rid of it.

How could I not oblige Tommy?

hifitommy
10-31-2009, 11:48 AM
or another company using their name.

poppachubby
10-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Either way, it's quite nice cable. I have hardwired a pair of speakers that my friend built. I must say, they sound quite awesome. Going to use them with a sub for the computer.

poppachubby
11-01-2009, 03:23 AM
or another company using their name.

No you're right Tommy, after a closer look, it says Audio Research by Accusonic. So cheesy no? Like I said, it's quite nice cable regardless. Funny thoguh, the Audio research caught my eye, so I'm sure from a marketing point of view, the name worked.

JoeE SP9
11-01-2009, 09:54 AM
PC:
Here are some other Beson releases you will probably like.

Body Talk
Beyond The Blue Horizon
Breezin

These are CTI recordings that have Benson and the CTI regulars on them. I think you may like these also.

Stanley Turrentine
Sugar (I have 2 LP releases and 3 CD releases of this.)Very highly recommended.
Pieces Of Dreams

Freddie Hubbard
Red Clay
First Light

One more recommendation. This is on Impulse.
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman

poppachubby
11-01-2009, 10:48 AM
PC:
Here are some other Beson releases you will probably like.

Body Talk
Beyond The Blue Horizon
Breezin

These are CTI recordings that have Benson and the CTI regulars on them. I think you may like these also.

Stanley Turrentine
Sugar (I have 2 LP releases and 3 CD releases of this.)Very highly recommended.
Pieces Of Dreams

Freddie Hubbard
Red Clay
First Light

One more recommendation. This is on Impulse.
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman

Thanks Joe, I've found a great used vinyl source, I'll begin checking their inventory soon for these artists.

poppachubby
11-24-2009, 10:32 AM
The MMF arrived today! Very much late. The seller refunded my shipping cost. It sounds great. I think it should be applauded for its ability to create quiet as opposed to sound.

Here's a pic of yet another configuration, the MMF is on the bottom shelf of my vinyl cab. At this point I am biding time until the Golden Tube arrives, then the real work begins.

poppachubby
11-24-2009, 10:35 AM
MMF magic

poppachubby
11-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm quite happy with this score.

4 LP's Aerosmith- Rocks and S/T
Lou Rawls- Lou Rawls Live
Jethro Tull- Aqualung

1 12" New Order- Bizarre Love Triangle w/ several mixes ...all for $5.00

Energy 2M Coaxial Cable ...$5.99

Denon DCM-350 ...$9.99

I presently use a Sony CDP. It's a 5 disc changer with analog only. The Denon is a 5 disc also. I have never had an interest in high quality CDP's. SACD almost converted me. I just love the shuffling capability of a carousel. The Denon has coax out. I will send it to my soundcard. The Sony will go with my H/T for Xmas duty.

hifitommy
11-27-2009, 06:47 PM
and they sound better than regular CDPs on rbcd. i have two, sony ns500v and marantz 6001 (which also gave me dvda capability). both sound pretty good on rbcd. the sony blew me away when i first heard it. it made my rbcd collection much more valuable to me.

also-heres a source of vinyl:

SoundStageDirect.com

recordsbymail.com

and another.

frenchmon
11-27-2009, 07:50 PM
and they sound better than regular CDPs on rbcd. i have two, sony ns500v and marantz 6001 (which also gave me dvda capability). both sound pretty good on rbcd. the sony blew me away when i first heard it. it made my rbcd collection much more valuable to me.

also-heres a source of vinyl:

SoundStageDirect.com

recordsbymail.com

and another.

Hey hifitommy...I've got a 6001 and love it. Thought about putting it back into my hometheater and getting the 8001, but decided against it. New cable made it sound even better.

frenchmon

thekid
11-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Poppa

Nice set-up!
I hope to be getting back to my vinyl/computer set-up this weekend now that holiday guests left.

poppachubby
11-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Poppa

Nice set-up!
I hope to be getting back to my vinyl/computer set-up this weekend now that holiday guests left.

kid, I have bought Adam;s old Golden Tube SE-40. I will be having an analog set-up with the GT and a digital set up with my comp. Do you still have the pre-amp? I could really use it for the Golden Tube.

It should end up really awesome. The Golden Tube will allow me to finally start climbing the TT ladder. Please check out my "Speakers for Golden Tube" thread in the speaker section. I am really set on some horn based Klipsch. There are a apir of LaScala for $400 locally. Also, Frugal horns are on my list. The thread is turning out quite nice, would love your insight...

Let me know about the Kenny.

poppachubby
11-27-2009, 09:52 PM
kid I should also have mentioned that the uncompressed analog source through the digital is a joy to listen to. Pure unadalterated fun!! I spin and spin and spin....

thekid
11-27-2009, 10:02 PM
kid, I have bought Adam;s old Golden Tube SE-40. I will be having an analog set-up with the GT and a digital set up with my comp. Do you still have the pre-amp? I could really use it for the Golden Tube.

It should end up really awesome. The Golden Tube will allow me to finally start climbing the TT ladder. Please check out my "Speakers for Golden Tube" thread in the speaker section. I am really set on some horn based Klipsch. There are a apir of LaScala for $400 locally. Also, Frugal horns are on my list. The thread is turning out quite nice, would love your insight...

Let me know about the Kenny.

I should have a quote on the pre-amp tomorrow afternoon.
Had to keep my company busy the last couple of days (took them thrifting of course) but should get by UPS tomorrow.